Woo-hoo! It’s not only New Year’s Day, but it’s also release day for Notorious Eliza, my short story from Harlequin Undone. It's available not only in several formats from Harlequin, but also on the Amazon Kindle and in a number of other formats from Barnes and Noble. And maybe other places, too. Isn't the e-book world amazing?

One of the first blogs I did for the Pink Fuzzies had to do with book covers… specifically, cheesy male torsos on book covers. (I didn’t get one! Which made me very happy, because I’m not the cheesy male torso type, although I must admit that sometimes they’re done extremely well.)

Anyway. The cover of Notorious Eliza is, to my dazzled eyes, Absolutely Gorgeous. Does it reflect the story? No. And Yes.

When Harlequin asked for information to help with the cover art, I told the absolute truth. Eliza dresses very plainly. In public, she scrapes her hair back in a tight bun. She’s already notorious enough because of her occupation of painting the nude mistresses of London rakes, and the last thing she wants is to attract these lecherous fellows. She’s actually a lusty sort of girl -- widowed, and definitely missing the pleasures of marriage -- but she does NOT want to appear sexy and scandalous.

Ah, but Harlequin Undones are about sex and scandal, and the cover has to reflect that, so of course my editor changed things a little on the art fact sheet, and the results are fabulous… and perfect. The way Patrick and Eliza are looking at each other is definitely accurate. Don’t they look hot for one another? I have no quibble about Patrick’s looks – he’s a hunk, and if he’s dressed more like town than country, that’s a minor detail. But in the story Eliza wears something gray and serviceable, not pink and frivolous. She doesn’t have jewelry or any skin showing… And yet, the artist got her absolutely right. The Eliza on the cover is the vibrant, sensual woman the story is really about. All I can say is, wow.

Patrick needs a respectable new wife to be a mother for his daughter.
Notorious Eliza paints nudes to support her young son.
They should resist the attraction. (They don’t.)
They dare not fall in love. (They do.)
They must not marry… for one day Eliza’s most scandalous secret will surface and destroy them all.

19 comments

  1. Judith Keim // January 1, 2010 at 11:17 AM  

    How exciting, Barbara! And the cover is great. Good luck with it! What a way to start off the new year...

  2. Scarlet Pumpernickel // January 1, 2010 at 1:05 PM  

    Lovely cover! Major congrats! Barbara I know you must be over the moon! You, my dear, have achieved my career long dream! You write for Harlequin. I am so pleased for you.

  3. Linsey Lanier // January 1, 2010 at 1:18 PM  

    Congratulations, Barbara. Way to go. That's a terrific cover and it sounds like a great story, too. Good luck with it!

    Linsey

  4. Mary Marvella // January 1, 2010 at 2:15 PM  

    Yes, Barbara, the cover is to die for! Thanks for the personal reactions of an excited, newly published author!

    YOU ROCK!

  5. Debbie Kaufman // January 1, 2010 at 2:22 PM  

    Barbara, major congratuations!

  6. Tami Brothers // January 1, 2010 at 2:56 PM  

    Congratulations, Barbara! Cover looks great! I'll have to find it and read it. Thanks for sharing.

    Tami

  7. Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn // January 1, 2010 at 3:08 PM  

    I love, love, love the cover! Congrats, Barbara. What a wonderful way to start off the new year. :)

    I'm headed over to eharl to buy it now.

  8. Sandy Elzie // January 1, 2010 at 3:44 PM  

    Sounds like a wickedly good read! Congratulations on your release and hope 2010 continues to be your best year yet.

    Sandy Elzie

  9. Beth Trissel // January 1, 2010 at 4:15 PM  

    Woooo hooooo! What a fun looking read. I am very happy for you. Your story line sounds quite original.

  10. Patrice // January 1, 2010 at 4:44 PM  

    Wow - is right. The cover is gorgous and more romantic than sexy. Congratulations and best wishes for many sales!

  11. Mary Ricksen // January 1, 2010 at 6:34 PM  

    You are on a roll Barbara, good luck and enjoy the ride.
    Congratulations and good sales!!!
    We are all so proud of you!
    From the heart. :0)

  12. Mona Risk // January 1, 2010 at 7:20 PM  

    Barbara,

    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

    The cover is as beautiful as the blurb is exciting. Tomorrow I am running to Barnes & Noble to buy it and buy two other books I absolutely want to read.

  13. Barbara Monajem // January 1, 2010 at 7:29 PM  

    Wow! I just got home (from a Pennsylvania-style New Year's dinner at a friend's house) to a slew of comments! Thank you so much, everyone. You are all so sweet to me, and I appreciate it. This is indeed a great day for me. I always wanted to write a Regency (big Heyer fan from way back) and so this really is a dream come true.

  14. Karen Michelle Nutt // January 1, 2010 at 7:29 PM  

    Nice Cover. Congratulations!

  15. Nightingale // January 2, 2010 at 9:32 AM  

    What an exciting beginning for 2010! Congratulations and best wishes for much success. The cover is very attractive.

  16. Autumn Jordon // January 2, 2010 at 9:36 AM  

    Congrats, Barbara. Wishing you mega sales.

  17. Nicki Salcedo // January 2, 2010 at 1:09 PM  

    This is very exciting. Congrats! I can't wait to read it.

  18. Josie // January 3, 2010 at 5:17 PM  

    Hurray, Barbara! It's a beautiful cover. I'm chiming in late to offer sincere congratulations.

  19. Darcy Crowder // January 5, 2010 at 11:54 AM  

    Congratulations, Barbara. I love the cover. What a wonderful New Year's gift!