‘In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.‘  ~ Albert Camus.

“If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?’ ~ by Percy Bysshe Shelley
(This is a lovely quote but I have to answer ‘yes.’  Looks like a long winter this year.)

‘Like the seeds dreaming beneath the snow your heart dreams of spring.’ ~ Kahlil Gibran


‘There’s a certain slant of light,
On winter afternoons,
That oppresses, like the weight
Of Cathedral tunes.’ ~ Emily Dickinson

‘Announced by all the trumpets of the sky, Arrives the snow, and, driving o’er the fields, Seems nowhere to alight: the whited air Hides hills and woods, the river, and the heaven, And veils the farmhouse at the garden’s end. The sled and traveller stopped, the courier’s feet Delayed, all friends shut out, the housemates sit Around the radiant fireplace, enclosed In a tumultuous privacy of storm.’~ Ralph Waldo Emerson




“Brew me a cup for a winter’s night.  For the wind howls loud and the furies fight; Spice it with love and stir it with care,And I’ll toast our bright eyes, my sweetheart fair.” ~ Minna Thomas Antrim

‘There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a nice cup of tea.’  ~Bernard-Paul Heroux

‘You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.’  ~C.S. Lewis


‘It snowed and snowed, the whole world over, Snow swept the world from end to end. A candle burned on the table; A candle burned.’ ~ Boris Pasternak


“January is the quietest month in the garden…But just because it looks quiet doesn’t mean that nothing is happening.  The soil, open to the sky, absorbs the pure rainfall while microorganisms convert tilled-under fodder into usable nutrients for the next crop of plants.  The feasting earthworms tunnel along, aerating the soil and preparing it to welcome the seeds and bare roots to come.” ~  Rosalie Muller Wrigh


“It’s snowing still,” said Eeyore gloomily.
“So it is.”
“And freezing.”
“Is it?”
“Yes,” said Eeyore. “However,” he said, brightening up a little, “we haven’t had an earthquake lately.”
~ Eeyore

The more it goes (Tiddely pom),
The more it goes (Tiddely pom),
On snowing. And nobody knows (Tiddely pom),
How cold my toes (Tiddely pom),
How cold my toes (Tiddely pom),
Are growing.

Winnie the Pooh
The House at Pooh Corner





12 comments

  1. Judith Keim // January 4, 2010 at 10:41 AM  

    Love the quotes, Beth. I'm a summer person so winter is hard for me and it's especially hard today in Florida because it's COLD and we even have freeze warnings! Brrrr!

  2. Beth Trissel // January 4, 2010 at 10:48 AM  

    Trust me, Judy, it's colder here. :)
    They're ice skating on the pond.

  3. Nightingale // January 4, 2010 at 10:56 AM  

    It's cold in Houston as well. What happened to global warming? Your winter musings were beautiful.

  4. Mary Marvella // January 4, 2010 at 1:09 PM  

    I like winter at a distance! I spent 5 winters in Missouri and one in Boston and had enough snow to last me a lifetime.

    Our last year in Missouri we vacationed in Yellow Stone National Park at the end of June and I wanted to head to a warm place. We were using a small camper and the EX insisted we cook outside. Yep, he did. My daughter was almost three and we had a lot of laundry for her, Pampers were not an option for her.

    Beth your post is wonderful, winter at a distance, like Christmas cards, or books, or paintings!

    BRRRRRR.

  5. Beth Trissel // January 4, 2010 at 1:39 PM  

    Thanks, thanks. Global warming isn't overly apparent this winter, Linda. We also had a cool fall and seasonable summer here in the valley, not overly hot.
    Mary, I doubt Yellowstone over gets very hot, especially at night. Our mountains are almost always cool in the evenings and you would need blankets or a sleeping bag at night even in high summer.

  6. Barbara Monajem // January 4, 2010 at 7:36 PM  

    Loved the quotes, Beth, especially Winnie the Pooh! My toes were very cold until I bought some special socks this weekend. They're called Extreme Cold and they keep my feet wonderfully warm.

  7. Scarlet Pumpernickel // January 4, 2010 at 8:29 PM  

    Beth great post! My daughter and I were just commenting this morning that it looked like we were in for a really cold winter. Been below freezing here in Georgia for almost a week. Makes me want hot cocoa and home-made soup! Loved the pictures. Glad your feeling better!

  8. Autumn Jordon // January 5, 2010 at 8:34 AM  

    I love winter. Some think I'm strange because I'd be walking as if it's a spring day. There is something about the crisp air against the skin. Love it.

  9. Beth Trissel // January 5, 2010 at 11:21 AM  

    Thanks guys. Warm socks are the best!

  10. Author Roast and Toast // January 5, 2010 at 2:46 PM  

    I like the one about the cup of tea and the book, that's me.
    Yes Judy here in the thumb of the US we are finally freezing!! Uncle!

    I do miss the quiet beauty of a delicate snowfall.

  11. Beth Trissel // January 5, 2010 at 5:11 PM  

    I love CS Lewis, so that one is a fav of mine too. A delicate snowfall is always lovely.

  12. Mary Marvella // January 5, 2010 at 5:46 PM  

    Beth, I didn't mention there was still snow on the ground and we had to scoop the snow away from water taps!