Cleansing body and soul

Posted by Patrice Wilton | 12:14 PM | , , | 11 comments »

Hi everybody,
Now that the holidays are over, it is time to get rid of all the excesses and toxins from our bodies, and renew our body and spirits. I found a very good article in the paper and would like to share a tip or two. Not only have we probably put on a pound of two but we also have accumulated toxins that leave us bloated, lethargic, cranky, with our cells aging, clamouring for a good detox. The cleansing will chase away the blues, remember I wrote about them!, and lethargy, clarify the mind, restore the skin's glow, ease insomnia and rev up energy.
A week of clean foods should get you back on the road to good health. Start with a cup of ginseng tea each morning. Take a brisk walk to jumpstart your circulation. Eat four to five small meals a day to help your metabolism.
The purifying foods are:
fruits - apples, apricots, coconut, grapefruit, bananas, oranges, nuts, plums, watermelon
vegetables - broccoli, celery, cabbage, corn, lentils, cucumber, lettuce, potatoes, spinach, sweet potatoes, zucchini, pumpkin
protein - fish, tofu, lean pork
grains - brown rice, wild rice, sunflower seeds, soybeans or edamame.

This advice comes from Fernanda Beccaglia, a Palm Beach staff writer, so I give her the credit.
Hope this helps, and let me know what you do to purify your body after your guests have disappeared and the last of the turkey has been consumed. I want to hear from you!
Patrice

11 comments

  1. Author Roast and Toast // January 7, 2010 at 12:57 PM  

    Mary yawns, she slept late,bad nite. The jogging sounded good so I trotted to the kitchen for my morning tea.
    Several small meals, anything I want! Yipee! Just as long as it's a small meal.
    Yup, I'm ready for the new year Patrice!

  2. Beth Trissel // January 7, 2010 at 1:44 PM  

    Wow, I'm actually doing something right. :)))

  3. Patrice Wilton // January 7, 2010 at 1:50 PM  

    Jogging to the kitchen isn't what I had in mind, Mary! And you can't eat anything you want - no, put that pastry away! LOL.

    Now, Beth, don't know what you're doing but it sounds like you're on the right track.

    I played tennis, 5 days in a row, even though it was cold and windy, and I was freezing my hands off. But I play in a league so had two tough matches and won both. I also like to walk on the days I don't play tennis. I do think exercising and eating right, keeps a person healthy in body and mind.

  4. Mary Marvella // January 7, 2010 at 3:39 PM  

    Bad Mary R. Jog to the bathroom after drinking Detox teas.

    Good article, Patrice. Thanks. We're just funning you!

    We could all use some detoxing this season. Lots of water is good.

    Tennis and running? Don't push it!

  5. Josie // January 7, 2010 at 5:15 PM  

    My daughter is very "into" nutrition right now, so this blog is timely. She also loves to dip triscuits and whole grain bread in olive oil.

  6. Scarlet Pumpernickel // January 7, 2010 at 7:10 PM  

    Whole grain bread dipped in olive oil! Now you're talking. I could go for that. Cooked vegetable soup for dinner tonight. Went well with the chilly weather! We've had just a sprinkle of snow so far. Hoping it doesn't rain and slick over. But would like to have day off tomorrow! Great post Patrice, need to get motivated to go back on my diet!

  7. Barbara Monajem // January 7, 2010 at 8:35 PM  

    I eat a lot of fruit. Instead of frequent small meals, I find that medium-sized meals several hours apart work better for me. Between meals, I try to eat only fruit, although I must admit that toward the end of the day I'm not very successful... I guess being tired means my willpower is worn out too, LOL.

    Patrice, you're amazing to go play tennis when it's freezing out. It's cold here (relatively), and I'm not exercising as much as I like to. That's really taking its toll. I *need* those daily walks.

  8. Autumn Jordon // January 7, 2010 at 9:12 PM  

    Well if you have stock in Diet Coke, I'd dump it because last week I said, "THAT IS IT I'm changing my ways." I went from 5 cokes a day to 1. I'm drinking lots of water, milk, green tea and if you read my blog yesterday, dancing every morning. Also, trying to make the right choices when preparing meals.

    Great nudge in the right direction, Patrice.

  9. Judith Keim // January 8, 2010 at 8:44 AM  

    Great post, Patrice! Good idea to start fresh, but very hard for me to do until all the Xmas stuff is gone... Hope everyone has a happy, healthy New Year! I'm going to start my routine of going to the gym and I loves your idea of dancing, Autumn!

  10. Mona Risk // January 8, 2010 at 11:18 AM  

    I heard about something similar Patrice. But with protein, green vegetables, only one orange, and nothing else, plus 10 glasses of water for thre days. I did it on Monday and shed three pounds.

  11. Mary Marvella // January 8, 2010 at 3:46 PM  

    The dancing part I really like! I'll start doing that again but more!