Hey readers!

Making messes is my specialty . I start with the best of intentions. They don't last long!

I begin each year with plans to organize my life.

"Start with small projects," folks say. There are NO small projects, only large projects masquerading as small ones.

I start filing bills and suddenly I find other things in my bill pile. I don't know how they got there. I pull out three things to file and four replace them while my back is turned. On New Year's Eve I actually swept my little dining bay table. Really! I swept everything onto the floor. It took three sweeps but I left only glass pencil holders on the table. I'm no idiot. I didn't fancy picking up dozens of pens and pencils. I really didn't want to pick up glass and I love my little Dollar Store pencil vases and bowls.

You'd think I'd have cleared the floor, wouldn't you? I started, but then I got a call to go to a movie. I never go alone and seldom go at all, so I left the stuff on the floor and enjoyed the movie.

I'm still grabbing a few things at a time but now there are stacks on the table again. I filled a garbage bag and found a missing necklace. The only food I found was wrapped candy. I filled a cup with paper clips and bobby pins. Oh, yes, there were three lip pencils I lost and 2 lipsticks, three eye shadows, too.

I'm still making the pile on my kitchen floor smaller, but yesterday I had to detour to a cabinet when I found sticky drink cans. I was emptying new 12 packs of Pepsi One and noticed something sticky. That meant pulling everything from that cabinet and cleaning up sticky mess.

I stopped to tutor, mess up my upstairs thermostat, and write this blog!

So, are you an organized person?

Are you a hoarder like I am?

14 comments

  1. Barbara Monajem // January 8, 2010 at 1:44 AM  

    LOL. I totally relate. I simply CANNOT be tidy. I'm not exactly a hoarder, but until lately I tended to keep stuff I might use some day. Lately, I just want to get rid of as much as I can. Life is too short to be surrounded by clutter. I hope that if I give or throw enough stuff away, the untidiness will become... less untidy. That's the best I can hope for.

    But Mary, sorry to say this, but it sounds to me like you have gremlins! The nice kind. They don't mean any harm. They just want to be noticed!

  2. Judith Keim // January 8, 2010 at 8:47 AM  

    Your post was fun, Mary. Good choice to drop everything and go to the movies, though. I'm a tidy person but I've found it's important to not let that rule your life!

  3. Nightingale // January 8, 2010 at 10:42 AM  

    Luckily I have a place to hide things behind my desk on a bookcase! Very funny post, Mary.

  4. Patrice Wilton // January 8, 2010 at 12:49 PM  

    Mary, I enjoyed your post too, but the mess on the floor would drive me bonkers. I guess I'm on the neat side, but in a laid-back kind of way, and I'm not a hoarder although I do have 3 junk drawers in the kitchen that need to be cleaned out every few months!
    What movie did you see? We went to Avator yesterday in an Imax theater and loved, loved it! Highly recommend seeing it and make sure you go to Imax - it was simply amazing, beautiful, thrilling, and I don't even like science fiction.

  5. Mary Marvella // January 8, 2010 at 1:07 PM  

    Hey, Barbara, I like to find smart, creative people who don't make me feel 100% odd. I'm also aiming for less untidy. Some of the clutter must go. Now to clean one surface and hope it will stay sorta clean.

    My inner child feeds the gremlins. they love it here!

  6. Mary Marvella // January 8, 2010 at 1:09 PM  

    Judy, I suspected you were a tidy person. I love you anyway! At least you agree about the movie, especially with a good friend. Do you remember Anne Trip? She's my movie buddy!

  7. Mary Marvella // January 8, 2010 at 1:10 PM  

    Linda knows I have too much stuff to hide in one room! I'm glad I made you laugh, pal!

  8. Mary Marvella // January 8, 2010 at 1:17 PM  

    Patrice, you seem like a likable person, even if you are a neat person, so we love you, too. (grin)

    Yes the mess in the floor is bothersome, that was my reason for sweeping things there. I can't miss the mess and I don't want to walk on the stuff. I'll work on it today and should finish it, since my driveway and cul de sac are white and unmarked my tires tracks and FROZEN.

    I saw "It's Complicated" and laughed a LOT!

  9. Mona Risk // January 8, 2010 at 2:41 PM  

    Mama Mary, you wouldn't survive ONE day with my DH. Everything has to be neatly arrtanged in its place in our household, except my desk that if off his juridiction. I fix it when I get fed up of hearing: "how can you find anything in that mess?" "It's not a mess. I know excatly what is in each pile." Snickers.

  10. Mary Marvella // January 8, 2010 at 3:14 PM  

    Mona, I live alone. I've always been a collector of stuff. So was my EX. som e of my stuff came from Mama's house and has sentimental value.

    Your DH and I would never have survived each other, though he seems like a real keeper! He'd have given up on me early on!

    My Ex just wasn't caring and everything was always about him. He has an office and a huge photography studio and yet he has left things here. Some of my mess is about stuff he left here and I'm selling some negatives he left at my house. They're piling up in my den so I can get to them. Another mess, or so it seems, but I hope this one will generate $$$$$.

  11. Mary Ricksen // January 8, 2010 at 4:57 PM  

    I don't hoard, I don't have the room. But I find a lot of clutter in my house I didn't used to have.
    As long as the right bills are paid on time, you're okay!

    Yep, gremlins!

  12. Mary Marvella // January 8, 2010 at 6:13 PM  

    The bills do require some organizing!

    Mary R, I've lived in this house for 20 years and have my stuff, tons of my daughter's stuff, some of Mama's things, and things the Ex hasn't removed in 8 years. I'm selling his!

  13. Beth Trissel // January 9, 2010 at 9:12 AM  

    I totally hear you, Mary. Same problems here.

  14. Josie // January 10, 2010 at 1:55 PM  

    I am organized, Mary, or at least like to think that I am.
    But, I don't like to throw anything out, either. What does that make me? :)