A Winter Sweet

Posted by Toni V.S. | 1:56 PM | , , | 5 comments »

Back in the Golden Days when I had friends and family to care for, I did a lot of baking. Every weekend, I was in the kitchen for hours, baking cakes and cookies, and occasionally pies. (Not many pies. I'll be the first to admit that pie crust and I have a long-running feud to see who can go to pieces first!) At Christmastide, I shone, displaying my repertoire of cookies, all of which never existed for very long. Digging into Ye Olde Booke of Recypes, I'd like to offer one of my favorites.

Pecan Puffs

3/4 C light brown sugar lightly packed
2 egg whites'2 C broken pecan pieces, uncooked
pinch of salt

Beat egg whites until stiff. Blend with sugar thoroughly. Add pecan pieces. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 250 until pecans are toasted or dough is firm. Bool before removing from sheet.

Sorry the cooking directions are so vague. Just remember that this is a recipe that was originated before all our fabulous electronic cooking appliances were invented--and enjoy!

5 comments

  1. Beth Trissel // January 20, 2008 at 3:50 PM  

    What a lovely memory and recipe, Toni. And, if we lived anywhere near each other, you would be most welcome to bake for me and vavenous horde.

  2. Nightingale // January 20, 2008 at 4:03 PM  

    Yummy. Sounds like it might be worth the calories. I've printed this one for my Christmas cooking file.

  3. Mary Marvella // January 20, 2008 at 4:53 PM  

    Sounds like Mama's divinity, better than anyone els's - light and fluffy when it was right, gooey like taffy when it wasn't as right!

  4. Sherry Morris // January 21, 2008 at 1:36 PM  

    This sounds so yummy and easy, Toni!

    Thanks for sharing it :)

  5. Cinthia Hamer // January 22, 2008 at 8:09 AM  

    Sounds yummy, Toni! If I weren't trying to shed some lbs in anticipation of San Fran, I'd run downstairs and bake a batch right now! LOL!

    But I'll save it to my recipe file.

    Thanks for sharing!