Posted by Liz Jasper | 1:59 PM | 6 comments »





Hi everyone! Today we're delighted to have Romance Author Eilis Flynn with us. Who is so nice she won't at all mock my inability to post her characature at the end where I wanted it to go. I'll just have to bow my head in shame...and drown my sorrows in her book. : )

1) Eilis, can you tell us a bit about your latest book?

Sure! In INTRODUCING SONIKA, I ask the question "If you had the power to save the world, what would make you give it up?" Trained by her parents to use her abilities to fight criminals, Sonya Penn gave it all up after her parents were killed by their archenemy, Gentlemen Geoffrey, turning away from what would have been her life as a superheroine. And yet, when she finds herself drawn to scientist John Arlen, his thirst for revenge against the criminal who murdered his father forces her to confront her choices. She could let herself fall in love with this man, who has secrets he seems unwilling to reveal to her. Or she could finally take up the mission her parents intended her to pursue even if it means his death or hers.

2) What’s the best writing advice you ever received?

What, besides "Never quit writing" or "Write what you know"? Probably "Listen to your writing." In other words, listen to your voice. Don’t force your writing into a pattern you think is cool. Your natural writing style is cool enough.

3) How did you get started as a writer?

Believe it or not, an essay contest in fifth grade called "Freedom under the law." I explained that freedom under the law was like my cat. If my cat was good, it got to do anything it wanted. But if it didn’t, it was scolded. With that superlative logic, I won first place. Emboldened by that success, I wrote my first play which, believe it or not, later became the basis of my first novel, THE SLEEPER AWAKES, which is available from Cerridwen Press. (It’s always good to keep old stuff around ...)

4) What’s the view from your desk as you write?

I have two windows, both of which are too high for me to see anything out of. Actually, one window I can see the side of the house next door. See? I have to have an imagination, because there’s nothing else to look at!

5) It’s Friday, thank goodness. What’s your perfect weekend?

One I can spend my time at home writing!

6) What makes you think you know how to write a romance?

I love happily ever after endings. I love reading about interpersonal relationships and I love people stories!

7) If you were a book, what would you be?

Gone with the Wind.

A little more about Eilis...
Ms. Flynn, whose real name is Elizabeth (an excellent name! No bias here.), writes as Eilis Flynn. Eilis is a longtime member of the Greater Seattle chapter of Romance Writers of America, a veteran of the Wall Street wars, has been a professional journalist, was a scholar, and even wrote comic books. She lives in a quiet neighborhood with her all-suffering husband and cranky cats.
Check out her website at
http://www.eilisflynn.com/. Check out INTRODUCING SONIKA at http://www.cerridwenpress.com/productpage.asp?ISBN=9781419914225.

6 comments

  1. Beth Trissel // January 18, 2008 at 2:27 PM  

    What an interesting interview! I really enjoyed it and heartily approve of the name Elizabeth, no bias here either. I love your sense of humor and your imagination sounds the sort to soar to the heights.
    Thanks for sharing about yourself, Ellis, and your writing. You've enlivened my day!

  2. Anonymous // January 18, 2008 at 5:33 PM  

    Ain't it a great name? And think of all the variations (of which "Eilis" is one, incidentally)! Thanks for reading!

  3. Nightingale // January 18, 2008 at 5:44 PM  

    "What, besides "Never quit writing" or "Write what you know"? Probably "Listen to your writing." In other words, listen to your voice. Don’t force your writing into a pattern you think is cool. Your natural writing style is cool enough." and I quote ELLIS FLYNN,

    I'd like to say a personal thank you for that advice as my Amazon entry initially attracted a bad review because of my voice--or the way I put words together.

    Also enjoyed your spunk and think your book would be a fun, exciting read.

  4. Mary Marvella // January 20, 2008 at 5:17 PM  

    Ellis,

    Sounds like my kinda heroine!
    We get our starts from different places!

  5. Anonymous // January 21, 2008 at 12:38 PM  

    Nightingale,
    Voice is such a tricky thing -- it enthralls some and confuses others. But if it gets someone's attention, you're on the right track! Good luck!

  6. Anonymous // January 21, 2008 at 12:39 PM  

    Sonika is everyone's kind of heroine, and I can't wait to write more about her, Mary!