“Heavy skies but no rain.”

--Sting lyric


I signed up to blog today because I thought it would be fun to write about the novelty of rain coming down in Southern California. According to the LA Times and the weather people on every local news station, the first of a handful of storms was supposed to have pummeled its way down the Pacific Coast and landed on us around noon yesterday. I worked up a sweat (I mean gentle dew) getting my sweaters back out (it was serious shorts and T-shirt weather at the start of the week—woo hoo!) and had a store of little phrases all ready to go. You know, "What is this wet stuff coming from the sky?”, "I’m melllting!”-- that sort of thing. It's always good to have a couple silly little things to cheer you up as you go floating off into the ocean. And with 9 inches forecast in some parts of Los Angeles, zip vegetation on hillsides after all the wild fires and storm drains clogged with two years worth of leaves from recent droughts, trust me, expecting tidal action in one’s living room is perfectly reasonable.

So? Nothing. Not a drop. Even the birds aren't buying it. There were little quiet earlier this morning, but gave up the pretense and are chirping again. (Needless to say, the cat is thrilled. She was a little down in the mouth about all those birds going silent and not having had a thing to do with it.)

Now, I'm not saying that the storm isn't coming. Storm systems dump on Northern California and veer east before hitting us all the time, but, surely, with several storms bumping up against each other, a least one of them has to make it down here. What I am saying is: Any time now! Get a move on, rain. People are counting on you. I am counting on you.

Wet weather is a perfect excuse to huddle inside and bake--and I polished off the last of the Christmas cookies two days ago.

--Liz

2008 EPPIE award nominee in the mystery category UNDERDEAD
www.lizjasper.com
www.myspace.com/underdeadauthor

6 comments

  1. thewriterslife // January 4, 2008 at 2:55 PM  

    Wow...love your blog, Pink Fuzzy Slipper Writers!

  2. Beth Trissel // January 4, 2008 at 5:32 PM  

    Hey Liz, I agree. One needs good old wet 'huddle, cuddle' weather to enjoy that cup of tea and bake more cookies.
    Let it rain, or snow!

  3. Beth Trissel // January 4, 2008 at 6:13 PM  

    I also want to add a big thank you to Dorothy for her enthusiasm!

  4. Mary Marvella // January 4, 2008 at 8:18 PM  

    Nothing like a rainy day for sleeping or snuggling.

    Mary Marvella

  5. Sandra Cox // January 5, 2008 at 10:06 AM  

    Hey Liz,
    I'm in NC and lack of rain has been a serious problem for us too.

  6. Mary Marvella // January 10, 2008 at 11:28 PM  

    Hey, we're getting drizzles here in Georgia and I don't dare complain. Good for hydrating the skin.

    Mary