By Sherry Morris aka Sammie Jo Moresca

I’ve been told that those people who begin several new things at the same time have more luck in some of the new habits sticking. So, beginning tomorrow, January, 7th, I have a plan that I’ve been hatching for two weeks now. I think I have everything covered between the time I have to wake my first kid up and 10:15 a.m. Yes, it’s comprehensive and the allotted time for activities are brief. But my history with allowing long, sensible blocks of time tells me I will burn out quickly from sheer overwelment. Yep, overwelment isn’t a real word, but I’m a writer and I make them up all the time. Then my editors make me remove them.


I follow the Flylady and the Sidetracked Home Executives housekeeping plans, tailored to my unique family, home and lifestyle. We have a yellow Lab, Maurice (Mo) who needs Rogaine for Dogs. What little fur he grows, he drops profusely, so I like to vacuum daily.


I have a tendency toward project addiction. I have been addicted to email, writing manically (a 100K novel in three weeks), Spider Solitaire (I’ve removed it from my computer), shopping on QVC (I’ve put parental control on the channel), music (massive Bee Gees worship, don’t ask…), decluttering (to the point my husband has to have a talk with me), blogging (eliminating TV all together),website tweaking (staying up until 3 a.m.) and low carbohydrate dieting (I’m very cranky the first two weeks, my poor family). I also have a tendency to lose total interest in the same and stop doing them all together.


So, I’m hoping with this new program, briefly tending to each task, I’ll be able to plug away and accomplish great things. A home clean enough for unexpected guests; a slightly toned body; write two new mystery novels and one new romance novel; revise and submit Thousand Dollar Pharaoh; revise and lengthen A Town Called Night and submit; edit Son of a Preacher Man; lots of time and attention for my son, daughter and husband. And I hope to lose my last ten pounds.


This is what I have set up for the first week (Wish me luck!)


MondayJan 7

5:45am Laundry, Checkbook, Budget, Powder Room, Kid’s Bath and Master Bath

7am Shower and Write

8am Dust Downstairs, Vaccuum Entire House, Clean off Desk

8:45am Writing Goal in a Month Loop; Private eMail

9:15am Deep Cleaning in the Kitchen; 5 Minute Room Rescue

9:30am Cardio 15 Minutes; Abs 5 Minutes; Legs 5 Minutes; Arms 5 Minutes

10am Promo Sherry’s Books


TuesdayJan 8

5:45am Laundry, Checkbook, Budget, Powder Room, Kid’s Bath and Master Bath

7am Shower and Write

8am Dust Upstairs, Vaccuum Upstairs and Downstairs, Basement Bath, Car, Yard

Trash, Stoop, Deck

8:45am Virginia Romance Writers and Sisters in Crime Loops; Private eMail

9:15am Deep Cleaning of the Office Closet; 5 Minute Room Rescue

9:30am Cardio 15 Minutes; Abs 5 Minutes; Legs 5 Minutes; Dance 5 Minutes

10am Blog


WednesdayJan 9

5:45am Laundry, Checkbook, Budget, Powder Room, Kid’s Bath and Master Bath

7am Shower and Write

8am Mirrors, Vaccuum Upstairs and Downstairs, File, Bills, Purse & Sewing

8:45am Romance Writers of America Loops; Private eMail

9:15am Deep Cleaning in the Foyer: 5 Minute Room Rescue

9:30am Cardio 15 Minutes; Abs 5 Minutes; Legs 5 Minutes; Arms 5 Minutes

10am Promote Sammie Jo’s Books


ThursdayJan 10

5:45am Laundry, Checkbook, Budget, Powder Room, Kid’s Bath and Master Bath

7am Shower and Write

8am Dust Basement, Vaccuum Entire House, Basement Bath, Coupons, Grocery

List

8:45am FlyLady and Pink Fuzzy Slipper Writers Loops; Private Email

9:15am Deep Cleaning in the Kitchen; 5 Minute Room Rescue

9:30am Cardio 15 Minutes; Abs 5 Minutes; Legs 5 Minutes; Dance 5 Minutes

10am Visit Other People’s Blogs


FridayJan 11

5:45am Laundry, Checkbook, Budget, Powder Room, Kid’s Bath and Master Bath

7am Shower; Write

8am Bed Linens, Dust Downstairs, Vaccuum Entire House

8:45am Bee Gees and General Hospital Loops; Private eMail

9:15am Deep Clean the Foyer Closet; 5 Minute Room Rescue

9:30am Cardio 15 Minutes; Abs 5 Minutes; Legs 5 Minutes; Arms 5 Minutes

10am Blog

10:15am Grocery Shopping


I didn’t list making my bed, preparing breakfast, doing the dishes and getting the family out the door, because those things are all ready well formed habits.


What are you going to do this week?


Click here to see my chores for today


4 comments

  1. Mona Risk // January 7, 2008 at 11:14 AM  

    Sherry, good luck. I'm out of breath just reading your busy schedule. I did my resolutions too and posted them on this loop on New Year Day. So far, I'm still doing my hour of exercise a day, visiting 5 or 6 blogs, promoting my soon to be released book,To Love A Hero, giving more time to hubby, kids, grandkids,and Mom. But....I didn't have a minute to write. Huh????

  2. Sherry Morris // January 7, 2008 at 2:26 PM  

    Bravo, Mona! You're doing fab with your resolutions :).

    Sit down and figure out how much time you are willing to devote to your exercise, blogging, promo, family and writing. Be realistic, don't assign everything a long time frame, or you might get burned out. Compact things.

    Do you really need to exercise for a solid hour? Can you break it into two slots? Can you take a day or two off each week?

    Do you need to blog at 5 or 6 sites every day? Can you allot 15 minutes a day and assign a particular blog for each day of the week?

    Can you promo your book in half an hour three times a week?

    Can you dedicate 45 minutes a day to writing?

    I'm not saying these are the optimum time limits, just examples. You fin what's right for Mona :) Long enough to get it done well enough. Don't strive for perfectionism... shh...it's a fairy tale.

    I'm hoping nothing happens to derail me for the next three weeks (supposedly that is the magic number of repetitions to form a habit) because I really enjoyed zooming through my schedule this morning. I had such a sense of accomplishment and it's warm and sunny out, so I can go and enjoy the day without guilt that I should be inside doing something.

  3. Mary Marvella // January 10, 2008 at 11:22 PM  

    You scare me woman!

    I'm still working on my goals for 2008 and a week behind responding here.

    House cleaning? I'm still waiting for my fairy godmother or the mice and birds to do some for me.

    I am trying to make the seven minute exercise program a habit. It's taking a while.

  4. Beth Trissel // January 11, 2008 at 1:33 PM  

    My goals went out the window when I took in my sister and her three girls, but I'm determined to work along on them more slowly. Then, I got the flu along with the rest of the household. Bang went this week.
    Good luck to you on fufilling your ActionPlan, Sherry.