&*$#@#!! 
Swearing. That’s exacting what I’m doing now as I read a movie review for One for the Money.  Steam is pouring out of my ears. While I think the movie is awesome, a reviewer for The Hollywood Reporter writes, “Katherine Heigl steps into the shoes of Janet Evanovich’s best-selling bounty hunter, and the results are hardly page-turning.”




For those of you who are not familiar with the series, the plot centers around Stephanie Plum. She’s working her first bail bondsman assignment and has to bring in a murderous cop. The officer (Jason O’Mara) also happens to be the man she lost her virginity to years earlier. The movie showcases a hodgepodge of other wonderful characters. Ranger (oh-la-la), a seasoned bounty hunter played by actor Daniel Sunjata, mentors Stephanie. Debbie Reynolds plays a feisty grandma. And who can forget Sherri Shepherd. She plays a fashioned challenged hooker named Lula and will answer any question for a snack.

My rantings may sound petty considering the state of the world. Financial crises, wars, and high unemployment rates stretch across the globe, but I look forward to a good movie to balance all the gloom and doom. One for the Money exceeded all my expectations. I went to see the movie with two friends and they love it also, so what are these reviewers expecting to find when they go to see a comedic thriller? World peace?

And one more rant before I close. It has been almost ten years, but I’m still angry Brad Pitt didn't receive an Oscar nod for Best Actor for his 2004 portrayal of Achilles. The reviews for Troy were so varied, they made my head spin.

What do you think?  Has your favorite movie or book been given a bad review?

13 comments

  1. Nightingale // January 31, 2012 at 10:27 AM  

    I don't think my favorite movie ever got as far as a review. Johnny Depp playing the rake Lord Rochester in Libertine. (Set in the Restoration...my favorite period of history). I highly recommend it. Johnny Depp does a monologue at the beginning that I wished I had written.

    Yes, I think Brad Pitt deserved Best Actor for Achilles too, Pam.
    Sorry your movie didn't receive better reviews but the audience liked it--which is what counts, right?

  2. Pamela Varnado // January 31, 2012 at 2:24 PM  

    Linda, I have not seen Libertine, but I do love Johnny Depp movies. Do you think his real-life personality is as quirky as it is on screen? I hope it is, because that's what makes him adorable.

  3. Mary Ricksen // January 31, 2012 at 4:02 PM  

    To tell you the truth I don't usually pay much attention to reviews. I watched a movie called Hildago. With the hot Vito M. from Lord of the Rings and I loved it. The reviews said it stunk. So once again we find taste subjective!

  4. Mary Marvella // January 31, 2012 at 4:03 PM  

    I saw that movie, Linda. It was a good one.

    Pam, I am so with you, but some of us ignore reviews and others watch movies to learn what the reviewers meant. I almost NEVER agree with reviewers.

    And Brad? Yes, he was wonderful in that movie, he WAS Achilles!

  5. Scarlet Pumpernickel // January 31, 2012 at 4:45 PM  

    Almost every movie that I love is trashed by the reviewers. Case in point. I loved "The Tourist." Reviewers didn't. Shows what they know. Almost always when the major reviews give a poor review I find I like the movie and let them rave about it and I absolutely hate it. So guess it goes to prove that it takes all kinds. Based on your approval I will put this one on my to be seen asap!

  6. Pamela Varnado // January 31, 2012 at 7:49 PM  

    Mary R.,Hildago was such a good movie. Have you seen Vito in A History of Violence. It is one out of the box movie, but I loved every second. Vito is always an emotion driven actor, but he upped the ante in this one.

  7. Pamela Varnado // January 31, 2012 at 7:51 PM  

    Mary M, I never really cared for Brad until I saw Troy. Before then, he was just a pretty face to me. But his acting was superb in Troy. I think it's his best performance to date. I just love a tortured hero. All that angst. Wow!

  8. Pamela Varnado // January 31, 2012 at 7:54 PM  

    Scarlet, I don't know why I allowed the review to bother me. Like you, I usually love movies the critics pan. It's all a matter of taste, but when something is good, it's good. Why couldn't the reviewer see that?

  9. Judith Keim // February 1, 2012 at 7:50 AM  

    Wow!I will definitely go to see One for the Money. I'm anxiously awaiting the Hunger Games...I have to say that while I loved the movie The Help, I liked the book better. It's very difficult to transition from book to movie but you have to be forgiving, right?

  10. Pamela Varnado // February 1, 2012 at 8:26 AM  

    Judy, I still haven't seen The Help. I own the DVD, but I've heard so much about the movie it's as if I've already seen it. Oh well, one day I'll sit down and force myself to watch it.

  11. Beth Trissel // February 1, 2012 at 2:10 PM  

    Heck yeah, there are bad reviews out there for everything I like, but also good ones. Good post!

  12. Josie // February 1, 2012 at 5:20 PM  

    I love movies and can't believe I missed that One for the Money is in theaters. I'm a big fan of Janet Evanovich and have read all her books.

    Sorry it received a bad review, but as Beth said, for every bad review is a good one.

  13. Hildie McQueen // February 2, 2012 at 9:06 AM  

    I loved the movie! It did the book justice. Hey it's a light mystery/romance, it's not supposed to be an epic classic. What do those people know anyway! Giggle