Snippets.


How many pieces of stories, individual sentences or words do you have lurking in your writing closet? I find these little jewels sometimes and wonder to which, if any, novel or short they belonged. I’m going to share some of these little fragments in this post and would love for you to share yours in the comments. It will be so interesting to see what was born but never grew into anything!

First snippet—I know not where: Why did they laugh when they wanted to cry? Why not tell each other the horrible things that had happened in the winters, springs and summers since they parted?

A short poem I wrote for my first web site, now abandoned for the newer version http://www.lindanightingale.com/:


Do not trust what your ears hear
Or what your eyes may see
The taste on your lips may lie.
Here things are not what they seem.
So you may speak your mind clearly
But must be warned that
We may not understand or
Yet choose to reply….The Others

Visit my website for a hot vampire story starring Morgan.

This I know is from Sinners’ Opera, my vampire paranormal and is from the hero’s (Morgan) POV:  I am beautiful. This is not vanity, but a statement of fact merely. And beauty is power. I am also wealthy. Another statement of power. And yet with all this, I cannot have the thing I want most. I can’t buy it. I can’t seduce it with my charm, aristocratic breeding or command it to me with the power of beauty. There are other dark powers I could use to bind love to me. But I refuse to use them on her. I want her to love me, the real me, and so I ask you, Ladies, would you shun a proposal of marriage from a man who can offer fortune, fame (I am a world-renowned pianist), a title (I am a British lord), power and beauty.

Share your snippets?

14 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // January 27, 2012 at 6:50 PM  

    I remember Morgan saying that! I'll need to look back for some of mine.

  2. Mary Ricksen // January 27, 2012 at 7:41 PM  

    Ah Morgan, you hot devil you!

  3. Barbara Monajem // January 27, 2012 at 10:23 PM  

    Dang. I'm sure I have some snippets, but when I'm asked for one -- complete blank.

    But I may use this as a first sentence: There were many, many ways the first day of the rest of Adelphia's life could go wrong.

    Or not.

  4. Mary Marvella // January 27, 2012 at 11:23 PM  

    I am teaching my 7th grade student about deleting her words. She's a good little writer, but.....

  5. Beth Trissel // January 27, 2012 at 11:39 PM  

    I love your snippets, Linda. And I am ever a fan of Morgan.

  6. Mona Risk // January 27, 2012 at 11:48 PM  

    Hi Linda, good posts. I save my snippets in what I call 'extra file' in each book folder. I may use them in different scenes. But it's difficult to use them in a different manuscript.

  7. Judith Keim // January 28, 2012 at 7:23 AM  

    When I'm writing a novel, I have a file called extras. I put all my snippets in there. Looking at them later, I either shake my head or sigh, but most often, I leave them there.

  8. Scarlet Pumpernickel // January 28, 2012 at 1:52 PM  

    Linda, there are so many snippets in my writing closet that I'm ashamed to say. I've packed up and moved my office three times from house to house and as many from room to room, those little jewels packed away taunt me from their dust filled tombs.

    I fell in love with Morgan the first time we met. He always leaves me breathless and wanting....

    Sorry to be late commenting, new meds are making me mostly M.I.A. have to get them adjusted so I can stay awake to work!

  9. Nightingale // January 28, 2012 at 4:17 PM  

    I'd be interested in your snippets Mary Marvella! And Mary R, what about you? I'm going to be checking because I know there are some good snippets from this group.

  10. Nightingale // January 28, 2012 at 4:17 PM  

    Barbara, I love that sentence. It is quite a teaser!

  11. Nightingale // January 28, 2012 at 4:18 PM  

    Thanks Beth! Morgan loves his fans.

  12. Nightingale // January 28, 2012 at 4:19 PM  

    Mona and Judy, that's a great idea. I had to search old disks to come up with these "jewels". There are many I wouldn't let anyone see!

  13. Nightingale // January 28, 2012 at 4:20 PM  

    Scarlet, I know you have some great snippets in those dusty tombs. It's sad that they've been lost in your moves.

  14. Josie // January 29, 2012 at 2:24 PM  

    I don't have any snippets to share, but I do have a "graveyard" for every book I write. There I keep sentences and passages that i delete from the current WIP but don't want to delete completely.