What I Wouldn't Give

Posted by Mary Ricksen | 12:00 AM | 13 comments »

Zoom out  Zoom in  Email This Atricle to your friend

Map of China Highways, China Highways Map, China Tour Map Resources
Today on the Dr. Oz show. Yes, I watch it on occasion, sometimes if it ain't goey and you have to wear gloves, I learn something. Today he discussed Vitamin, herbal, and mineral supplements. The latest thing is that cauliflower, collard greens and brussel sprouts are good for a healthy liver. Milk thistle for a fatty liver. But what was most interesting to me about the whole show was the warnings. On the side of one package of vitamins it read, wheat, sugar, fiher, (yes fiher), and so on. And so on! What? They tested the product and found cancerous levels of you name it! Huh? And I can buy it in the store in this country? The country who has an FDA to prevent these kinds of dangerous thing.
Not too long ago, I was warned by TV that the food I was feeding my furbabies was killing other dogs!
It was a company that I assumed was made in the USA, not! Just because they package it here doesn't mean it's safe. Not to long after that Infant Formula made in this country began to kill babies. Outrageous! The blew over and nothing changed. We just keep buying everything that is cheap. I for one would rather pay a bit more and have it made in the USA or one of it's Trusted, allies, that follow rules and regulations, not just fill their products with crap to stretch them and make more money. How can the business's in our country allow the lure of higher profits to wave those $$ signs and influence them to buy cheaper. Even when they know
that it's not safe.
I got a lovely thoughtful gift from a hardworking friend. It came in pieces because it wasn't glued together properly. Every time I see the sign on the bottom Made In China, I cringe. Don't get me wrong I love Chinese people, Chinese food is my favorite! I love their art, their fascinating heritage, their honor,. What I don't like is the lack of supervision, the nerve, the greed, whatever it is that makes a manufacturing company use things that can kill babies in baby food! Unbelievable!
And what do we sell to them? Not much. Why these things allowed. Don't ask me, I ain't a politician. I'm lucky to be free I figure. I do have some suggestions if anyone in government is interested. But what the heck do I know, except for this.
I long for the days when we complained that everything said Made in Japan on it. What I  wouldn't give to see that label on things today.

13 comments

  1. Nightingale // January 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM  

    It scares me to think about this. But it is true in many instances.

  2. Pamela Varnado // January 18, 2012 at 11:07 AM  

    Mary, I watch the Dr. Oz show. Usually it's filled with lots of good advice. My pet peeve these days is the cost of eating healthy. The foods that are bad for you are cheaper. Just check out the shelves in Wal-mart or any neighborhood supermarket. Hey, I'd love to eat exotic fruits and organic vegetable, but who can afford them?

    Did you see Dr. Oz's show on arsenic in juices? Scary stuff. Especially for moms who give it to their babies.

  3. Mary Ricksen // January 18, 2012 at 11:46 AM  

    It's unbelievable isn't it Pam! You are so right!
    Want a cheap meal, eat a big mac and add all the fat you'll ever need in one meal.
    I saw about the juices. I thought there were laws...

  4. Mary Marvella // January 18, 2012 at 12:59 PM  

    Very thought provoking! Maybe someone needs to revamp the rules. If you want to ship it here and make money from our purchases, manufacture it according to our rules.

    I agree about the pricing thing and the Big Mac.

  5. Patrice Wilton // January 18, 2012 at 1:35 PM  

    Wow, Mary, you shouldn't watch this show. It sounds like it's bad for your blood pressure! Yikes.
    Anyway, very interesting and upsetting, for sure.

  6. Patrice Wilton // January 18, 2012 at 1:36 PM  

    Wow, Mary, you shouldn't watch this show. It sounds like it's bad for your blood pressure! Yikes.
    Anyway, very interesting and upsetting, for sure.

  7. Judith Keim // January 18, 2012 at 2:56 PM  

    Lots to think about...Hard to stay healthy when there are so many unknowns...

  8. Scarlet Pumpernickel // January 18, 2012 at 8:23 PM  

    What a timely post. Thank you for speaking out about this. We almost lost our precious new granddaughter to that tainted infant formula. She was sick constantly, the doctor had put her on medication for indigestion and she continued to lose weight and sicken until I happened to read about the problem with the formula on the internet. I called my son and daughter in law immediately and they called the doctor. He said it was a limited case and wasn't what was wrong with our little one. DIL insisted he change her formula anyway and she immediatley started to recover. There ought to be a law! Oh wait, there is, we should insist it be enforced!

    Now you've got me started, how about the fact that our great country was built on the backs of the workers in the strongest industrialized country in the world? Now we produce very little, because those who own the means of production (factory owners) chose to move the jobs offshore. For decades it went unnoticed because it was blue collar jobs that were outsourced. Now that the white collar jobs are going there is a much louder outcry. Okay, I'll climb down from my soap box now before you knock it out from under me.

  9. Mona Risk // January 18, 2012 at 11:48 PM  

    Good post, Mary. It's horrible to hear that babies could die because companies try to save pennies.

  10. Josie // January 19, 2012 at 12:39 PM  

    Mary R. and Pamela,
    Yes, it's more expensive to eat healthy then to eat junk food. It should be just the opposite.

  11. Beth Trissel // January 19, 2012 at 4:45 PM  

    Yes,scary. read labels carefully and we'd better learn what the stuff means.

  12. Mary Ricksen // January 19, 2012 at 7:21 PM  

    Scarlet, thank God you figured it out before the baby died!
    Scary!!!

  13. Autumn Jordon // January 20, 2012 at 9:57 AM  

    It is scary what is consider safe dosages for humans to consume. Dh and I try to grow much of what we need, because we don't use chemicals. And we buy organic as much as possible.