“A little bit more pain, and then you’ll be better, the technician told my friend at the hospital when she refused to make the effort to sit and stand up.

“It hurts too much.” Marie has been in a terrible car accident and through major surgery on her back. Her pain was excruciating.”Leave me alone. I don’t care if I die.” Totally dazed by too many analgesics, she closed her eyes, but I could see the tears rolling on her cheeks.

I wanted to cry with her. “Please, Marie. A little effort. You’ll be better after,” I promised automatically not really sure if I was saying the truth.

The technician sighed. “If she doesn’t make an effort, she won’t improve.”

The words hit home. If I didn’t take the dreaded cortisone injection that was supposed to numb the pain in my bone spurred heel, I wasn’t going to improve.

My husband nudged me. “Did you hear that?”

Yes, I heard. And I went to the my orthopedic surgeon the next day. I had the injection, but half an hour before I swallowed a Percocet painkiller. My husband held my hands and apparently I squeezed them very hard during the injection. It’s not an instantaneous in-and-out puncture. The needle poking hurts and then the medicine takes a full minute flowing in the heel and hurting like h... But all the time I was thinking of Marie who was suffering so much and I bit back my scream of pain.

A little more pain and then we can be better. I remember the technician’s words. How often we shy away from the last effort because we think it’s too difficult to cope with?

A little bit more editing and our book will shine.
One more letter submitted to a new editor may bring the Call.
Another effort of promotion may reach the readers.
Are we ready for that last leap of faith and perseverance? Maybe if someone hold our hand, we‘ll try the last step.

RIGHT NAME, WRONG MAN, at 99 cents for your Kindle.
http://tinyurl.com/85o4wg7

A sensual and romantic comedy novel set in France:

What’s a girl to do when she whispers another man’s name in her fiancé’s arms?

When forbidden dreams about the sexy French Dr. Yves Malroux assail her at every turn, Mary-Beth puts her wedding plans on hold. The man would probably not even remember the plump nerd she was three years ago before she lost her illusions faster than her pounds. Regardless, to be able to marry her fiancé without reservations, Mary-Beth needs to confront her past and flies to France for a summer training program in surgery with Yves.

But Yves never forgets an organ he removed from a patient or a woman he dated. And he never forgot the pretty student of Harvard Medical School who has turned into a stunning beauty and seems in serious need of coaching about spicing her serious life with some fun and passion.

While too many questions still swirled in her mind, her jealous fiancé summons her back home.

Will Mary-Beth let her heart decide who’s her right man? Will Yves break his no-strings-attached rule to offer love and commitment?

24 comments

  1. Judith Keim // January 10, 2012 at 8:34 AM  

    Mona, wonderful words to think about! Sometimes it is that last critical, painful moment that makes all the difference. Hope you and your friend are healing well...

  2. Autumn Jordon // January 10, 2012 at 8:51 AM  

    Great advice, Mona. I'm in final editing before I take the query step. I'm actually sick of the story, or maybe I'm just anixous to start the next adventure, either way I keep thinking this can be better, just tweak a little more. Some days it is hard to wrap the brain around the story, but forward we must go.

    I hope you're feeling better. I know firsthand your pain. And, I hope Marie is also feeling better today. She is lucky to have you as a friend.

  3. Beth Trissel // January 10, 2012 at 8:55 AM  

    Mona, what an excellent post, so needed on many levels. And I pray for your friend and feel so badly for her. I need this prodding myself writing wise.

  4. Mona Risk // January 10, 2012 at 11:02 AM  

    Hi Judy, I wish I can convince my friend to get up. Doc is giving her a stronger pain killer. Maybe that will help.

  5. Mona Risk // January 10, 2012 at 11:03 AM  

    Autumn, finish your edit. I'm sure we'll have another bestseller.

  6. Mona Risk // January 10, 2012 at 11:04 AM  

    Hi Beth, I promised myself I'll be writing today. One last chapter to finish my book...since last May.

  7. Mary Ricksen // January 10, 2012 at 12:31 PM  

    Simple words but so full of truth!

  8. Barbara Monajem // January 10, 2012 at 1:58 PM  

    Thanks for a thoughtful post, Mona!

  9. Mary Marvella // January 10, 2012 at 2:09 PM  

    Mona, sometimes we must HEAR our own advice and HEED it! Ask Scarlet about injections.

    Your characters always bite the bullet and do the right thing. The question becomes "What will make them do the right thing?"


    Your friend might need more than one try.

  10. Patrice Wilton // January 10, 2012 at 2:18 PM  

    So right, Mona. Sometimes we need to push ourselves that much further, no matter how it pains us to do it, to achieve the results we want so bad. Your writing is wonderful, I wish good things for you.

  11. Mona Risk // January 10, 2012 at 5:37 PM  

    Hi Mary, I've learned the hard way!

  12. Mona Risk // January 10, 2012 at 5:38 PM  

    Hi Barbara, now we need to put these good thoughts to good use.

  13. Mona Risk // January 10, 2012 at 5:39 PM  

    Yes, Mary, I definitely shoud heed my own advice. Remind me of that next time I want to quit.

  14. Linda Andrews // January 10, 2012 at 5:41 PM  

    Pain I can take, sleep I can't do without. Thanks for the bit of inspiration

  15. Mona Risk // January 10, 2012 at 5:42 PM  

    Patrice, you give us all a great example of perseverance. If it wasn't for your leap of faith and self-publishing I woulnd't have tried it. I didn't have your success but I should still persevere. We never know when Lady Luck will decide to smile upon us.

  16. Morgan Mandel // January 10, 2012 at 7:20 PM  

    Never give up. Always go for the gold! The last rounds of editing are really the pits. I'd thought Forever Young: Blessing or Curse would be ready in November, but actually I kept finding so many things to change it didn't get on kindle until right before Christmas. The timing was off, but I wanted it done!

    I hope you're doing better now and you don't need any more injections.

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

  17. Stephanie Burkhart // January 11, 2012 at 1:50 AM  

    Mona, what an inspirational post. I can't imagine that shot was easy. It reminds me of the time the doctor came to give me my epidural when I was in labor with Andrew. He missed and I had to wait 20 minutes before he could try again. I never felt so much pain in my life. ((hugs)) to you.

    I hope you're feeling better soon, my friend., as well as your friend, Mary.
    Smiles
    Steph

  18. Maggie Toussaint // January 11, 2012 at 10:15 AM  

    Mona, These words are so true. Just when it's the hardest is when we need to dig down for that little bit extra. I'm glad you endured the cortisone shot, and I have complete sympathy for your friend. You're a good friend to her. Maggie

  19. Nightingale // January 11, 2012 at 10:49 AM  

    The story of your friend is heartbreaking. I hope she'll totally recover soon. And the writing advice is excellent.

  20. Mona Risk // January 12, 2012 at 7:59 AM  

    Hi Linda, you're lucky if you can take pain. I'm always worried about pain before it even starts.

  21. Mona Risk // January 12, 2012 at 8:00 AM  

    Morgan, don't regret the extra time spent on Forever Young. That's what makes it so good.

  22. Mona Risk // January 12, 2012 at 8:02 AM  

    Ouch, having two epidurals back to back. I can hear your screams. I would have screamed. But little Andrew was worth all the pain!

  23. Mona Risk // January 12, 2012 at 8:03 AM  

    Hi Maggie, I'll remember these words: dig down a little bit more to find the treasure.

  24. Josie // January 13, 2012 at 12:56 PM  

    Hi Mona,
    Perseverance...we writers know the word well. You presented a well-written post.

    I hope you're feeling better. It's so difficult to face pain, but having someone you love hold your hand really helps.