Today is April 30. It was on this date 38 years ago that I participated in a miracle.

Most of you are aware of the automobile accident I was in on August 22, 1970. Married seven months and hospitalized with a concussion, fractured vertebrae, a triple-fractured pelvis, crushed hip, and number facial and dental injuries, I discovered I was pregnant. What should have been the most joyous moment of my life became a horror novel as I was told that I had been subjected to massive amounts of radiation because of numerous x-rays to determine the extent of my injuries(the roentgenologist pointed out that the only people he'd heard of who got more radiation were at Hiroshima), been inundated with drugs, including synthetic heroin, as well as blood transfusions which had probably left me with the Rh negative factor. With all that stacked against me, they felt I should have an abortion because my baby had a 50-50 chance of being blind or mentally retarded or stillborn.

I decided otherwise, and on April 30, 1971, after many tears and much prayer, I delivered by C-section, a healthy 7 pound, 8 oz baby boy--who is now a college graduate and a math teacher.

Happy Birthday, JL! It was worth every moment.

11 comments

  1. Edie Ramer // April 30, 2009 at 8:39 AM  

    Toni, wow! I didn't know about your accident. I'm so glad for your happy ending. Your son is a miracle! That's awesome.

  2. Terry Odell // April 30, 2009 at 9:00 AM  

    Wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.

  3. Beth Trissel // April 30, 2009 at 9:41 AM  

    Wow, Toni. I had no idea your son could have been so disabled. He's a living miracle. Wonderful story.

  4. Judith Keim // April 30, 2009 at 1:12 PM  

    Oh, Toni! What a wonderful story! And what a nice-looking, healthy son! Yes, miracles do happen! Enjoy yours.

  5. Nightingale // April 30, 2009 at 3:22 PM  

    What an ordeal and what a decision to have to make when you are injured. But you made the right choice. He's a handsome young man, Toni. Congrats.

  6. Mary Ricksen // April 30, 2009 at 4:44 PM  

    Toni you did it again. You made me cry.

  7. Scarlet Pumpernickel // April 30, 2009 at 5:12 PM  

    Toni,
    What an inspirational story! You son is indeed a walking, talking, miracle. Just goes to prove that prays are answered. Thanks for sharing and Happy Birthday to the birthday boy!

    Scarlet

  8. Barbara Monajem // April 30, 2009 at 9:17 PM  

    I didn't know, either. What a moving story. Thanks so much for posting it.

  9. Mary Marvella // May 1, 2009 at 6:21 PM  

    Toni, though I've heard the story before I am amazed each time I read it again.

  10. Mona Risk // May 1, 2009 at 7:00 PM  

    I am one who believes in miracles. What a beautiful story and handsome. Happy Birthday to your son, Toni.

  11. debjulienne // May 4, 2009 at 11:19 AM  

    OMG...how touching.