Friday, April 18, 2009


I am so THRILLED to have one of my oldest writing buddies join us today at PFSW. I met Susan Shay in the Fall of 2005 before I wrote my first word. I've had the privilege of watching her career grow from her first book to now.

Help me welcome Susan to our little home on the internet.

Susan - sit and get comfortable. (*hands her the complementary pink fuzzy slippers*). Tell us all about your new book...

Thanks for letting me wear the pink, fuzzy slippers today. I always enjoy your blogs!


I'm so excited! Today is the release of my second book, BLIND SIGHT! I can hardly keep from stopping strangers just to tell them about it.


Cassie Reynolds is channeling the dreams of a serial killer. But without the resources to stop him—if she's able to discover who he is—how can she succeed? Only cynical Keegan Flynn, who believes in nothing and no one, has the tools needed to complete her gift. Will Cassie be able to make Keegan believe in time, or will Christmas this year be murder?


In BLIND SIGHT a touch psychic and a man who doesn't believe in anything fall in love.


One of the first things I do when I start a manuscript is to "discover" the characters. Cassie Reynolds and Keegan Flynn are the outcome of a conversation I had one day with an old friend. It's when I realized how very different we are.


I'm terribly empathetic. I can put myself in almost anyone's shoes. My friend can only see things one way—hers. I can't talk her over to my side. I can't make her see reason. She always knows what's right...She is.


From my sympathetic soul, Cassie was born. If she touches a man, she not only feels what he feels, she lives it with him. Before the book begins she touched a postman who kidnapped a child and is keeping her in his basement. Cassie saw what he'd done, then kept him in the store so she could alert the police.


Keegan, on the other hand, has a hard heart. His parents belonged to a cult with a false leader he calls Boz. His first big break in a newspaper was when he visited his parents' cult. The leader walked on water and turned water to wine, amazing his followers and taking their money.


Keegan was able to prove the man was a fake, wrote about it for his newspaper, where it hit the AP. Rather than appreciate their son, his parents disowned him for it. After that, he knew he'd never again believe in anything except his sister.


Here's where Keegan learns about Cassie.


It was all Keegan could do to keep from swearing. Cassie claimed to be psychic? And worse, Miriam believed it? What sort of game was this woman playing? “So Cassie told you she was psychic?”


“She’s lived here in the apartment on the top floor for a couple of years, Keegan. She’s my friend and trusts me to keep her secret.”


“Cassie’s the newest princess in the tower?” Unable to stifle a bark of laughter, he snorted loudly. “God, Miriam, you’re such an easy mark. Hey, if we ask really nice and cross her palm with gold, maybe the all-knowing, all-seeing Miss Cassie will read our futures, too.”


Making shushing sounds like a leaky gas pipe, Miriam fluttered her hands at him. “Don’t say that, Keegan. If she heard you, it would hurt her feelings.”


“Aw, hell, Sis. If she’s psychic, she can probably pick up what I’m saying even in the tower.” Hoping to make his point, he fixed his gaze on her and raised his brows. “Let’s try to see this clearly. As a psychic, able to hear every voice speaking at this moment, how would she know which one was mine? And if, like most telepaths, she can also hear thoughts, and everyone in the entire world is not only talking but also thinking at the same time, doesn’t she get confused?”


With a stern look, Miriam folded her arms and leaned back in the chair. “I didn’t say she was a telepath. And besides, it doesn’t work like that. At least, for Cassie it doesn’t. For her, it’s usually touching something or someone that tells her. It’s called psyc-psychometry, I think. She really doesn’t like to talk about it much.”


“Right,” he scoffed. “She doesn’t like to talk about it. So why was the story in the paper?”


Her frown deepened. “The story came from the police, not Cassie. And if you read it again, you’ll see her name’s not mentioned anywhere. She wouldn’t do that.”


All he could do was to lay it on the line for her. With any luck, she’d come to her senses.


“Listen to me, Miriam. She’s following the usual pattern—it’s how these people work. They come on as if they’re your friends to get you on their side. They fill you full of bull, and because you like them so much, you believe anything they tell you. So when it’s time for them to start spreading their crap around town, they don’t even have to fight their own battles. They have you to do it for them.”


Keegan decides to debunk her, and so he has to spend time with her to learn all he can.


“Oh, I can find my way around her. In my hands, this baby will be very happy.” Gingerly caressing the leather-covered steering wheel, he glanced at Cassie in the semi-darkness to see her mouth drop open.


While he hadn’t intended to give the words a sexy spin, seeing her face after she took the phrase the wrong way—eyes at halfmast, cheeks pinking, and her glistening bottom lip caught between her teeth—made him wish he could do it again.


“That’s right. You owned a Volkswagen in college, didn’t you?” Her voice rasped slightly as she buckled her seatbelt, then leaned away from him to angle her back against the door. In a play of shadow and light, the simple red dress she wore made her body look perfect, touchable, kissable.


When she finally turned her head to look at him, the heat in her gaze stole the air from his lungs. Without breath, he COULDN’T speak or think, so he nodded. It didn’t matter what she’d asked. Whatever it was, he’d do it. Or find it. Or climb it. Or build it.


For the woman gazing at him with eyes that could heat his very marrow, he’d do anything at all. Even take on a monster, if need be.


Later Cassie touches a cup in the library coffee shop and "lives" the memory of a murder. She soon learns he's not just a murderer, he's a serial killer, and she can't stop him alone. She needs Keegan to help her, but he doesn't believe in what she is.


Will she convince him in time to stop the murderer or will Christmas this year be murder?


Thanks for letting me stop by!


I'm giving away a copy of BLIND SIGHT. Just comment to get your name in the drawing!




Thanks Susan! Blind Sight is from Wild Rose Publishing. It sounds wonderful.


This interview is also posted at Cynderella's Castle. Comment there for two chances at this wonderful book.


Until Next Time!


Cyndi

24 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // April 17, 2009 at 12:50 AM  

    Susan,Welcome!

    Your book sounds fascinating. While I'm not an empath, I am very empathetic and soft hearted. Got that from my mama.

    Good job Cynthia

    Mama Mary

  2. Anonymous // April 17, 2009 at 7:29 AM  

    Enjoyed the interview and am fascinated by the premise of this book.... so much so that it has been added to the top of my TBR list!


    Paula Farrell

  3. Judith Keim // April 17, 2009 at 8:34 AM  

    Welcome to the group, Susan! Loved reading about your story. Am always intrigued about paranormal elements. Your characters are wonderful! Thanks, Cyndi, for introducing your talented friend to us and everyone else!

  4. Nightingale // April 17, 2009 at 9:37 AM  

    Blind Sight, the title is very intriguing. I very much enjoyed the excerpts. I need this one to read on the plane to RT!

  5. Unknown // April 17, 2009 at 11:18 AM  

    I love the way the book sounds. I look forward to reading a mystery with some romance. I am adding your name to my authors to read list.

    Thanks!

  6. MAGolla // April 17, 2009 at 11:30 AM  

    I've only read bits and pieces when I was lucky enough to crit Blind Sight a few times--Loved it! Suse does a GREAT job with this story!

  7. Anonymous // April 17, 2009 at 12:27 PM  

    I love the fuzzy slipper and can't wait to read your new book.
    your biggest and I mean BIGGEST FAN
    AMY

  8. Scarlet Pumpernickel // April 17, 2009 at 12:46 PM  

    Welcome to the pink fuzzies! I see Cyndi has given you your slippers! We're so pleased to have your visit. Blind Sight sounds thrilling! Can't wait to read it.

    Scarlet

  9. Anonymous // April 17, 2009 at 12:56 PM  

    I can't wait to read your book, it sounds very exciting!

    Mendy

  10. Ashlynn Pearce // April 17, 2009 at 1:37 PM  

    Heya, Susan!! Congrats on your new book release and great interview. Very interesting story. :)
    Ashlynn

  11. Edie Ramer // April 17, 2009 at 1:39 PM  

    Susan, congratulations on your 2nd release! I hope you make many sales. I love the excerpt and your writing!

  12. Mary Ricksen // April 17, 2009 at 1:52 PM  

    This story is a must read for me. I have often thought about that very premise of touching someone and knowing things. Thanks for coming to our blog Susan, your story is a big draw as far as I am concerned.
    I am an empath too! I feel people's pain.
    Cyndi, you've done it again. Fantastic blog my friend!

  13. Helen Hardt // April 17, 2009 at 2:34 PM  

    Wow, what an intriguing premise, Susan! Love the title, too; it really says it all. Best of luck to you!

    Helen

  14. Judy // April 17, 2009 at 3:09 PM  

    I enjoyed the post and your book Blind Sight sounds like a very interesting read. Congrats and good luck with your 2nd book.

    Judy C.

  15. Meg Reid // April 17, 2009 at 5:15 PM  

    I'm so excited for you, Susan! Great interview! This book is wonderful! I want to move to Stone Hill NOW! <3 TWM

  16. Marilyn Pappano // April 17, 2009 at 6:48 PM  

    I've already read BLIND SIGHT -- got to critique it from beginning to end -- nyah nyah. ;-) It's a great book. You guys will love it.

    Marilyn
    3twistedsisters.wordpress.com
    writingsluts.wordpress.com

  17. Anonymous // April 17, 2009 at 7:28 PM  

    Mary,
    I got it from my mama, too. I think mamas have so much to do with the way their kids turn out.
    Thanks for saying hi!

    Paula,
    It is a fun premise, isn't it? And it's both paranormal and romantic suspense.
    Thanks for dropping by!

    Judy,
    I'm thrilled to be here. You guys rock!

    Nightingale,
    I've never been to RT. It's on my "someday list". Hope you have a great time!

    Thanks for dropping by, you guys.
    Susan

  18. Anonymous // April 17, 2009 at 7:35 PM  

    Gingapeach,
    thanks for the add. I hope you enjoy Blind Sight. Writing it was a real trip.

    Magolla,
    Thanks so much! I hope you'll read it now that it's finished and that you'll still like it.

    Aw, Amy. You're so sweet!

    Scarlet,
    I love your name! Thanks for having me. This is a great blog. You guys are so nice.

    Mendy,
    I can't wait for you to read it. Thanks for dropping by.

    Hi Ashlynn-the best website designer, bookmark and biz card maker in the world.
    Thanks!!!
    Susan

  19. Anonymous // April 17, 2009 at 7:42 PM  

    Edie,
    I've seen your name a lot lately. You're another woman to keep an eye on! All you slipper ladies are!
    Thanks for saying hi.

    Mary! Fancy seeing you here. Thanks for having me. Y'all have such fun parties!

    Helen,
    I'm glad you like my title. I just couldn't think of another one that would work half as well.
    Thanks for saying hi.

    Judy,
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for not letting me get lonely today. I appreciate it.

  20. Anonymous // April 17, 2009 at 7:45 PM  

    Marilyn! Meg! My twisted sisters!!!
    You guy know I could never have written this book without you.
    You're the best!
    Susan
    www.susanshay.net
    http://3twistedsisters.wordpress.com
    http://writingsluts.wordpress.com

  21. www.jacqking.com // April 17, 2009 at 7:57 PM  

    Wow! Imagine channeling the thoughts of a serial killer. How terrifying. This one sounds like a white-knuckler. Can hardly wait to get my copy.

    Jackie King

  22. Anonymous // April 17, 2009 at 11:08 PM  

    Jackie King,
    I hope you like it! Thanks for coming by to say hello.
    Susan

  23. Unknown // April 18, 2009 at 1:06 AM  

    Congrats on the new book Susan, I love the preview. I will have to add it to my book pile. Will this become a series or is it a stand alone book? Have a great weekend.

  24. Susan Shay // April 18, 2009 at 2:10 PM  

    Ann Marie,
    Right now it's a single. But with the right encouagement, I could be talked into writing another. LOL!
    Thanks for keeping me company.
    Susan