Cut or purchase several good handfuls of rhubarb. The amount can vary. Chop the stems into two inch pieces and put them in a large saucepan (I use a 2-3 quart one) and barely cover with water. Simmer, stirring frequently, until the stems are soft. Then whisk the cooked pieces until smooth. Season with sugar to taste (I use about a cup). Add two-three heaping tablespoons of instant tapioca (depending on amount of liquid) and simmer until the tiny pearls are clear. Add 2-3 tablespoons of strawberry gelatin and stir until dissolved. Set mixture aside and chill in fridge until it sets. Add cut up strawberries if available after the pudding has cooled.

This is an old country dish and very approximate as I don't know of any actual recipes.
My mother in law showed me how to prepare it years ago. Is anyone out there familiar with rhubarb pudding made like this?

7 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // April 28, 2009 at 9:22 PM  

    Sounds delicious! Thanks, Beth.

  2. Edie Ramer // April 28, 2009 at 11:18 PM  

    I've never made or eaten rhubarb pudding. My mother used to make rhubarb pie. Yum.

  3. Judith Keim // April 29, 2009 at 12:51 PM  

    It looks good. I've never even tried a rhubarb pie but I've tasted a strawberry/rhubarb pie and thought it was delicious. Thanks!

  4. Scarlet Pumpernickel // April 29, 2009 at 4:42 PM  

    I think I'll just have to give this a try! Sounds great! Don't think I've every had rhubarb pudding. I'm always looking for something new and different.

    Scarlet

  5. Beth Trissel // April 29, 2009 at 9:24 PM  

    I suspect this is new and different to many except country people in my neck of the woods.

  6. Mary Ricksen // April 29, 2009 at 9:26 PM  

    It does sound great. I never had rhubarb pudding. Is the rhubarb from your garden?

  7. Josie // May 3, 2009 at 10:34 PM  

    I've never had rhubarb pudding, or anything rhubarb for that matter. I even had trouble spelling it! Thanks for the recipe.