Daughter of the Wind is the result of a true, tragic story of a Scots-Irish woman who was captured and then fell in love with the son of a chief. As the result of a treaty, she was taken, pregnant at the time, from her warrior husband and forced back to her white family. Her husband did the unthinkable and actually left the tribe to go and live among the whites, but such was their hatred of Indians that before he reached his beloved her brothers intercepted and killed him. The woman gave birth to a baby girl and grieved herself to death.

Heart wrenching, the story haunts me to this day. I wondered what happened to her daughter when she grew up and if there were some way those young lovers could have been spared such anguish. I couldn’t let this tragedy happen to my hero and heroine, but how could I spare them? Daughter of the Wind grew out of this account, as did my yet unpublished historical romance, Red Bird’s Song.

Daughter of the Wind
is a light paranormal romance with strong American historical roots. Set among the clannish Scots-Irish in the mist-shrouded Virginia Mountains, it's a tale of the clash between peoples and young lovers caught in the middle. Ever influenced by my regard for Eastern Woodland Indians and some of their beliefs, I interwove mystical, Native American elements with 'Daughter.'
*****
Autumn, 1784: A tragic secret from Karin McNeal's past haunts the young Scots-Irish woman who longs to know more of her mother’s death and the mysterious father no one will name. The elusive voices she hears in the wind hint at the dramatic changes soon to unfold in her life among the Scot’s settled in the mist-shrouded Alleghenies. Jack McCray, a wounded stranger who staggers through the door on the eve of her twentieth birthday and anniversary of her mother’s death, holds the key to unlocking the past. Will she let this handsome frontiersman lead her to the truth and into his arms, or seek the shelter of her fiercely possessive grandfather? Is it only her imagination or does something, or someone, wait beyond the brooding ridges—for her?

12 comments

  1. Judith Keim // May 1, 2009 at 9:38 AM  

    Beth, This sounds so wonderful! I've always been fascinated by Indian lore and this story is touching. Love the paranormal aspects...everything! Good luck!

  2. Edie Ramer // May 1, 2009 at 10:54 AM  

    This book sounds fascinating! Just pulls at the emotions. Thanks for sharing.

  3. Margay Leah Justice // May 1, 2009 at 12:21 PM  

    This sounds like an amazing story.
    Margay

  4. Toni V.S. // May 1, 2009 at 1:10 PM  

    Beth, did you ever try to do research and find out what happened to the real people? I would've been digging into the past as fast as I could!

  5. Mary Ricksen // May 1, 2009 at 2:10 PM  

    I always dreamed of being captured by a handsome Indian who I would fall in love with and live with for the rest of my life. They probably woulda scalped me!

  6. Beth Trissel // May 1, 2009 at 3:44 PM  

    I did do some research Toni. All I know is that the daughter was raised in the white world and has descendants.
    Thanks ladies for your enthusiasm.

  7. Scarlet Pumpernickel // May 1, 2009 at 5:15 PM  

    Beth,
    Facinating background information for your story. Living in Georgia with the history of the trail of tears, I certainly understand the tragedy the lovers faced. My own family denied its NA roots in order to remain in Georgia.

    Scarlet

  8. Mary Marvella // May 1, 2009 at 6:26 PM  

    Wonderful story, Beth! I also went through the "find my Indian brave" period. Then I thought about living in tee-pees and grinding my own meal.

  9. Mona Risk // May 1, 2009 at 7:03 PM  

    What a sad story. I am sure that under your pen it will become a beautiful story full of passion. I can't wait to read it. Happy release day, Beth.

  10. Beth Trissel // May 1, 2009 at 8:12 PM  

    Thanks for sharing my journey, ladies.

  11. Margaret Tanner // May 1, 2009 at 10:49 PM  

    Hi Beth,
    Sounds like a wonderful, touching story.
    Best wishes
    Margaret

  12. Josie // May 3, 2009 at 10:36 PM  

    Beautiful story, Beth. Thanks for sharing it with us.