Stone Mountain State Park

Posted by Mary Marvella | 10:13 PM | 7 comments »





While the photos don't show the carving, they do show buildings in the "Plantation compound".

FYI
Stone Mountain State Park contains hiking trails, paddle wheel boat rides, museums and much more. Visitors to the park can see the largest high relief sculpture in the world. The carving, set 400 feet above the ground and recessed 40 feet into the mountain, depicts three confederate heroes, Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee, and Stonewall Jackson. Many of the park attractions celebrate life in the Antebellum South before the US Civil War, as we residents of the south call it The War of Northern Aggression.

7 comments

  1. Scarlet Pumpernickel // November 11, 2008 at 1:54 AM  

    Mary, wonderful photos, what a beautiful park. It's been years since I visited there! Last time it was just the unfinished picture and little else. I haven't been to the "rock" since I was a child. My children both visited with friends on their own, so I never got to take them when they were young. Might take the Granddaughter!

    Scarlet

  2. Mary Marvella // November 11, 2008 at 1:59 AM  

    You should!

  3. Anonymous // November 11, 2008 at 10:02 AM  

    Catching up with posts after a couple of days of being basically off line. Great photos. I love Stone Mountain State Park. Beach Boy Husband and I went there years ago to watch the laser show on Stone Mountain. It totally defines description, doesn't it? You can tell people about the show but until one actually sees the figures come to life, they can't appreciate it.

    Thanks for the pictures and for stirring such wonderful memories for me.

  4. Mary Marvella // November 11, 2008 at 1:20 PM  

    Glad I could help, Cyndi! Even their website doesn't help tell all that is there. The carving is amazing!

  5. Nightingale // November 11, 2008 at 2:59 PM  

    Enjoyed the photos. Stone Mountain is a lovely place. I wonder if they still have the horse show facility there. That was one of my favorite places to show -- many moons ago! Thanks for sharing Mary.

  6. Mary Ricksen // November 11, 2008 at 5:02 PM  

    Wish there was a picture of the carving.
    Born in Vermont, I never heard of Stone Mountain, but it looks beautiful. The war of Northern aggression? Hmmm.
    Maybe someday I'll get to see the place!

  7. Mary Marvella // November 11, 2008 at 11:27 PM  

    If you're good, I'll send the link for the website.