Shirley Fronsee shared this story with me.

Several years ago I came home and my cat Klinger kept bumping me in the leg with his head, walking over to the basement stairs. He'd turn and look at me.

After several times I said, "ok, show me what you want to show me." I knew he wouldn't stop pestering me until I did.

He kept turning and checking to make sure I was following him. He walked over to the laundry area, sat down and kept looking under the stairs, then at me. Something in his manner said he thought I was being less than bright and his patience was wearing thin. Maybe he had found a mouse or a lizard for me to see.

I looked, shocked to see a man's shoulder sticking out. (Guess he thought he was in far enough that no one would see him.)

At a moment like this I was glad I wasn't a screamer. Klinger seemed to be waiting for me to find the intruder so his job would be done. I said, loudly enough to let the man know I wouldn't confront him, "everything is alright, let's go upstairs and have a treat."

He liked that idea so he followed me back to get his reward.

I called for help and when we checked the man had exited out the basement window.

And they contend cats don't know what's going on.

Mother Mary wonders if she would've screamed!

5 comments

  1. Edie Ramer // November 26, 2008 at 3:05 PM  

    Mary, I love this rescue-by-cat story! Like Lassie with attitude. :)

  2. Mary Marvella // November 26, 2008 at 3:53 PM  

    I wanted to do it justice, since it's a great story!

  3. Mary Ricksen // November 26, 2008 at 5:11 PM  

    Saved by the cat. You just never know do you?

  4. Scarlet Pumpernickel // November 26, 2008 at 11:29 PM  

    Wonderful story! Cats can be very curious and demanding. They can also be good guard cats!

  5. Anonymous // November 27, 2008 at 2:58 AM  

    Well, that scared me! Can you imagine seeing a man's shoulder - an intruder into your house? WOW

    Smart cat, who may have saved her owner's life!