Cat Tales

Posted by Beth Trissel | 4:04 PM | , , | 6 comments »

From fellow blog writer Beth Trissel:
I’ve always had cats, an integral part of my world and our farm. Two reside indoors now; Minnie Mae, a funny little cat, and Percy, a manly tabby and our most recent acquisition. Percy is the ultimate lapcat who lives for cuddles. How can you not appreciate that sort of affection?

We fondly remember Gabby, a lavender Oriental Shorthair, related to the Siamese and just as vocal, and her chestnut-colored son, Pookah, named for the invisible creature that steals things. We used to call him “the paw” because of the way he opened drawers or cabinets and pilfered whatever he liked, usually hair thingies. He and Gabby were mad over scrunchies, and colorful bands that hold hair in pony tails.

Pookah was a gorgeous cat and an excellent thief, but he sucked his tail. Not very manly. A kind woman living in Florida sent us Gabby years ago to comfort the children after the tragic death of their young cousin Matthew. Gabby came to us on a plane, an odd infant highly unlike the barn cats we were accustomed to.

At first we didn’t know what to think of this little gray monkey forever disappearing into the highest cabinets or crouching on the tops of doors and wardrobes. Nor did we understand her peculiar cry, but once we learned to know her, we were hooked. That’s how we came by Pookah, the big-eared kitten we kept from a litter of three after we had Gabby bred to a fancy Siamese, Cappuccino. He wasn’t manly either.

Then there’s Minnie Mae, the tabby kitten-cat my daughter Elise and I raised from early infancy after her stray, airhead mother inadvertently left her in our care. She was so tiny she barely spanned my palm and is still small for a grown cat. Minnie Mae is a whimsical creature with a series of purrs. Elise calls the chirrupy purr when she scampers across the room, her 'bouncing purr.' Then there’s her inquiring purr, when she has a question, which is fairly often being a thoughtful, observant cat. Her excited purr hums forth when she greets us after a long absence, say overnight. She sleeps outside hubby and my bedroom door and eagerly awaits the dawn.

When I was a child I listened repeatedly to a favorite record that I still have about the adventures of Dick Whittington and his cat. Dick would exclaim: “Here comes Ripple Dee Dee! Oh, cat, I love you very much.” And I do. All of them.

Beth Trissel
http://www.bethtrissel.com/

6 comments

  1. Mary Ricksen // November 24, 2008 at 5:43 PM  

    Love the names. Gosh I love kitties.
    What's your take on the indoor v/s the outdoor cat?

  2. Anonymous // November 24, 2008 at 5:50 PM  

    Until I married my DH, I had a "barn cat" named Samantha ("Sam"). I also had a Springer Spaniel (Zeke). Sam was more "dog" than cat. She came to her name (NEVER kitty kitty kitty). One of her favorite toys was a piece of Zeke's Dog Chow. Sam would bat a piece of food up and down a hardwood hall. Zeke and I would watch her for about a hour, running, skidding on the wood, bouncing off the walls, until finally Zeke would get up, walk into the hall, eat that one piece of food and come back and sit down.

    Sam would also sit on the back of a chair and wait for Zeke to walk past. She'd jump on his back and run. Zeke would chase her around the house.

    They were quite a pair. I'll have to write up my "Zeke and Sam catch a mouse" story!

  3. Nightingale // November 24, 2008 at 6:28 PM  

    I'm a cat lover and really miss not having one now. Give your kitties an extra bit of petting for me, Beth. They sound like interesting individuals.

  4. Edie Ramer // November 24, 2008 at 8:21 PM  

    My cat talks all the time. And she's a purrer too. I touch her and she starts purring. She's woken me in the middle of the night with her purrs. :)

  5. Dina // November 24, 2008 at 8:24 PM  

    Such ctuies!!

  6. Mary Marvella // November 24, 2008 at 9:20 PM  

    Love the cat stories! They're such independent creatures. Thanks, beth and Cyndi.