I know, I'm behind, but I recently saw THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES (on Netflix) with my 11 yr old niece, a close friend, and my 19 yr old daughter, and we all LOVED it!
Considering the last review I did was of Jack Black lip balm--I'm addicted to chapstick and lip balm--I've gone all out and written up a short post for this film.

The Spiderwick Chronicles is a wonderfully imaginative, delightful YA movie with appeal to all ages, except for very young children. Technically it's an urban fantasy but has classic fantasy elements. All the actors do an excellent job, but I particularly enjoyed the exceptionally talented Freddie Highmore. The brother/sister team of twin brothers Jared and Simon (both play by Highmore) and older sister Mallory (Sarah Bolger) is engaging and touching as they battle the evil creatures bent on reclaiming the all important book, The Spiderwick Chronicles. The magic circle placed around the mysterious old house by their long-lost Great Great Uncle Arthur Spiderwick (David Strathairn) is in danger of being breached by the cunning lord of evil, the shape-shifting ogre, Mulgarath (Nick Nolte). Not to mention, a host of goblins. Unlikely allies come to the childrens assistance, a comic Brownie, Thimbletack, (Martin Short) who must be fed honey to sweeten his temper and a gregarious Hoggoblin, Hogsqueal (Seth Rogen) who helps them better 'see' this fantastic realm.
Do magical creatures truly dwell among us? Arthur Spiderwick thought so, and after seeing this movie, I agree.

Beth Trissel
www. bethtrissel. com

7 comments

  1. Toni V.S. // November 18, 2008 at 11:53 AM  

    What a coincidence! I watched the Spinderwick Chronicles Sunday Night! I enjoyed the story although I thought the disbelief the other family members showed Jared was a little "over the top" and simply a plot device. They were so skeptical, even when things happened which he couldn't have done, and had to actually be attacked by invisible being before believing. Still, all in all, it was an entertaining little tale and the supernatural characters--with the exception of the ogre--were delightful.

  2. Mary Ricksen // November 18, 2008 at 12:39 PM  

    Of course they exist, who else is responsible for all the things we can't explain?
    I don't have cable so I couldn't watch it, but I have gremlins so the rest is not a stretch for me!

  3. Beth Trissel // November 18, 2008 at 7:41 PM  

    I agree, Toni, that the mom was exceptionally dull witted and disbelieving, thus I left her out of my review. :) And Mary, you don't need cable to get Netflix. We live out in the country and have only our antenna. But I hear you on the Gremlins.

  4. Josie // November 19, 2008 at 9:03 AM  

    Beth,
    I have not seen the Spiderwick Chronicles, but your post has inspired me. I intend to watch it over the holidays.

  5. Mary Ricksen // November 19, 2008 at 5:48 PM  

    You get netflex on your antenna? Not me.

  6. Beth Trissel // November 19, 2008 at 8:23 PM  

    I get Netflix in my mailbox and watch on my DVD player, Mary.

  7. Nightingale // November 20, 2008 at 10:59 AM  

    I loved The Chronicles of Narnia, too. Now I'll have to add Spiderwick to my NetFlix list. Good review Beth. Maybe you should branch out!