Be Good to Your Skin!

Posted by Mary Marvella | 11:30 PM | , , | 8 comments »

Do you remember when soap and water were beauty products? I grew up using Dial soap because my parents bought it. I had good skin, too. Ponds Cold Cream was a luxury for some ladies who still swear by it. I know one of my relatives used it because my aunt and I played with the jars in our arbor playhouse in the country in Mississippi in the 1940's and '50's. I do know my mama and grandmama couldn't afford that lovely product.

Some women my age are passionate about their Dove soap and Oil of Olay and have been forever, as have their mama's before them. Again, these would have been luxuries for our family.

And then there are ladies who swear by Preparation H and they aren't using it on their bottoms.

Today there are so many skin care products that we can become confused, if we don't already have our own favorites.

Though some ladies use Vaseline or olive oil to moisturize, it's not recommended by skincare experts.

A few suggestions.
Avoid products that contain alcohol because they are likely drying. If your skin is oily, you don't help matters by taking the oil your skin loves.

Avoid glopping heavy creams on your skin if it's dry. It will just become drier. Hydrate your skin with water. Splash it on your face and let it soak in, Then use a small amount of light moisturizer and let it soak into your skin. You may add thin coats, 2 0r 3, until your skin feels soft and smooth. If you put a dollop of lotion in the palms of your hands, it will warm and spread more evenly.

Washing your face in hot water or cold water will just bug your skin.

Read labels and watch for products your skin doesn't like. You should recognize some of them by now. Fragrances can be the worst offenders.

Take your vitamins and don't skimp on E and A and C. Drink lots of water.

What would you like to know about winterizing your skin?

8 comments

  1. Scarlet Pumpernickel // November 7, 2008 at 11:36 PM  

    Mary, you suggestions are always so "right on" with the cold weather setting in we need to remember to nuture our skin!

    Scarlet

  2. Mary Marvella // November 7, 2008 at 11:43 PM  

    Thanks, Scarlet. People neglect their skin as long as they don't have a problem! Then they really have to work to fix the problem.

  3. Mary Ricksen // November 8, 2008 at 4:47 PM  

    Any advise is great. What do you do for oily skin that still is sometimes dry. What do you think of the preparation H thing. How about some more suggestions, I use dial already.
    Thanks!

  4. Mary Marvella // November 8, 2008 at 5:22 PM  

    Dab Preparation H cream under your eyes and around your mouth to plump wrinkles.

    I haven't found Dial products very gentle on faces. Neutragena(sp) soaps are gentle. Facial cleansers and moisturizers for combination skin work well for most people. Dove soap and Jergen's soap are good but not pricey. Sensitive skin, fragrance free and dye free are best.

    My daughter swears by Equate facial cleansing cloths from Walmart, and she likes name brands, too. she says they keep her skin clean and clear.

    Skin is often drier in winter because furnace air is drier and cold robs skin of it's moisture.
    Give your skin a splash of warm water occasionally.

    Creams and lotions should have the word "hydrate" on their labels. If you apply creams and lotions to you hands first, you warm the the liquid, then rub it on your face. If it soaks into your skin, you might apply a second layer.

    Don't us oils.

  5. Edie Ramer // November 9, 2008 at 11:27 PM  

    Good advice! I have pale skin that wrinkles faster than olive or other darker skin color. :( I use Cetaphyll instead or soap or wqater. It's recommended by my dermatologist.

  6. Donnell Ann Bell // November 10, 2008 at 9:14 PM  

    Mary, you have beautiful skin. It's obvious you've taken care of it! Thanks for the advice ;)

  7. Mary Marvella // November 11, 2008 at 1:26 PM  

    Edie, use a gentle moisturizer or product that hydrates. If you put it on your hands first, then blot it on your skin, it will soak in instead or staying on your skin. Also, apply it after your shower or cleanse and wile your face is damp and warm. It will seal the moisture in.

  8. Mary Marvella // November 11, 2008 at 1:31 PM  

    Donnell, you are so sweet! For most of my life I wore little makeup and did little for or to my skin. Most products set off my allergies or stayed on my skin. Then I discovered the brands I used for studio makeovers. Their hypoallergenic products allowed me use them. They are the only ones I trust over more expensive name brands I won't mention.

    I have very dry skin so I keep it moisturized and it loves that.