A gracious welcome to my stately (virtual) plantation home. Please have a seat in the wicker chairs on the veranda and relax in the shade of the towering live oaks.    Listen to the warbler singing high overhead in the moss-draped boughs and savor the sweetness of jasmine while I serve refreshing mint juleps and peach upside-down cake prepared with old Southern recipes from Charleston Receipts.

This cookbook ‘was first published in 1950 and the oldest Junior League cookbook still in print. It contains 750 recipes, Gullah verses, and sketches by Charleston artists. Inducted into the McIlhenny Hall of Fame, an award given for book sales that exceed 100,000 copies.’
My copy is actually my mother’s book which she purchased in the early 1960′s while our family was on vacation in Charleston South Carolina.  I kind of borrowed it from her and still have it. :)  My second trip to historic Charleston was also with my mom while doing research for my Revolutionary War romance novel ENEMY OF THE KING.  But more on that later. 
For each cold goblet use: Several mint leaves, sugar syrup (2-3 teaspoons), Crushed, dry ice, 2 ounces bourbon, 1 sprig mint.
Crush leaves and let stand in syrup. Put this into a cold silver julep cup or glass and add ice which has been crushed and rolled in a towel to dry.  Pour in the whiskey.  Stir, not touching the glass, and add a sprig of mint. Serve immediately.~
1/3 cup shortening, 2/3 cup sugar, 2/3 cup milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 2 eggs, 2 teaspoons baking powder,  1  and 2/3 cups flour, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon almond flavoring
Cream shortening and sugar.  Add remaining ingredients and beat well.  Pour over peach mixture. Serves six.
Peach Mixture: 1/3 cup butter, 1 cup light brown sugar, 1 1/2 cups sliced peaches
Place butter and sugar in a sheet cake pan and heat slowly, stirring constantly until well browned.  Add peaches.  Cover with cake batter, bake 3/4 hour at 350.  Turn out peach side up.   Serve hot or cold with whipped cream.  Other fruits may be substituted for peaches.  ~

10 comments

  1. Mona Risk // June 29, 2011 at 8:28 PM  

    Beth, I love these two recipees. They look easy enough to prepare and delicious to eat and drink. Thanks.

  2. Beth Trissel // June 30, 2011 at 7:23 AM  

    Thanks Mona. :)

  3. Nightingale // June 30, 2011 at 11:31 AM  

    Thanks for the recipes, particularly the Mint Julep! Charleston is one of my favorite places in the world. I love the Battery and the antebellum houses. Sinners Opera is set in Charleston, and the hero Morgan D'Arcy lives on the Battery. I've visited several times doing "research."

  4. Mary Ricksen // June 30, 2011 at 2:05 PM  

    Yummy!!!

  5. Beth Trissel // June 30, 2011 at 5:27 PM  

    I think you should buy a lovely old place there, Linda, and I'll visit. :)

  6. Mary Marvella // July 1, 2011 at 12:48 AM  

    Thanks, Darlin'! Meet you on the veranda. Or wOuld your prefer rockin' or swingin' on the front porch?

    How about a recipe fr banana puddin'?

  7. Josie // July 1, 2011 at 1:08 PM  

    Thank you, Beth, for inviting us into your beautiful, virtual "home". I enjoy my iced tea with no sugar and fresh lemon, but I think I'll give your Mint Julep a try. :)

  8. Judith Keim // July 2, 2011 at 7:58 AM  

    Beth, These recipes are delicious. We made mint juleps for a Kentucky Derby party. Great fun...

  9. kids flip flops // July 2, 2011 at 9:35 AM  

    I have never encounter such kind of menu. Thanks for sharing this recipe. This is very new for my taste buds.

  10. Plumbing // July 8, 2011 at 10:15 AM  

    Looking at this makes me hungry! I would love to taste this wonderful recipe of yours. I will make one of this.