I have two novels out in my colonial frontier trilogy and am at work on the third.  The main characters are a mix of Native Americans (of course) and English/Scots-Irish with a smidgen of French, my ancestral roots.  


Red Bird's Song is doing well at Amazon, selling in the top ten ranking kindles for Native American Romance, but Through the Fire is lagging behind and I'm not sure why.  I suspect when the novel was originally listed it may have only been categorized as historical romance and it's equally an NA story and setting.  I've tried to remedy this with tags. 


When I wrote Through the Fire I felt as though I'd been through the flames. My hero and heroine certainly had. This adventure romance with a strong The Last of the Mohicans flavor and a mystical weave was born in the fertile ground of my imagination, fed by years of research, and a powerful draw to my English/Scots-Irish roots. My fascination with stirring tales of the colonial frontier and Eastern Woodland Indians is an early and abiding one. My ancestors had family members killed and captured by Native Americans. Some individuals returned with intriguing accounts of their captivity while others disappeared without a trace.


Much of the history and events in Red Bird's Song and Through the Fire were inspired by accounts I uncovered while researching my early American ancestors.  My fascination with Colonial America, particularly stirring tales of the frontier and the Shawnee Indians, is an early and abiding one. My forebears had interactions with this tribe, including family members taken captive. I have family ties to Wicomechee, an outstanding Shawnee warrior who really lived and whose story greatly impacted Red Bird's Song. I've included more on Wicomechee at the end of the novel as a bonus for my readers.


Blurb for Red Bird's Song:
Taken captive by a Shawnee war party wasn't how Charity Edmonson hoped to escape an unwanted marriage. Nor did Shawnee warrior Wicomechee expect to find the treasure promised by his grandfather's vision in the unpredictable red-headed girl. George III's English Red-Coats, unprincipled colonial militia, prejudice and jealousy are not the only enemies Charity and Wicomechee will face before they can hope for a peaceful life. The greatest obstacle to happiness is in their own hearts. As they struggle through bleak mountains and cold weather, facing wild nature and wilder men, Wicomechee and Charity must learn to trust each other.~


Blurb for Through the Fire:
At the height of the French and Indian War, a young English widow ventures into the colonial frontier in search of a fresh start. She never expects to find it in the arms of the half-Shawnee, half-French warrior who makes her his prisoner in the raging battle to possess a continent--or to be aided by a mysterious white wolf and a holy man.~
A few comments from Reviewers For Through the Fire:

Ms. Trissel has captured the time period wonderfully.... I felt I was there through her descriptions and settings. An excellent story where there is so much happening.
--Two Lips Review by Shelia (She gave it five lips :)


Through the Fire is full of interesting characters, beautifully described scenery, and vivid action sequences. It is a must read for any fan of historical romance. --Long and Short Reviews by Poinsettia (It won book of the week at LASR)


Through the Fire came in fourth in the top ten BHB Reader’s Choice Best Books of 2009 and finaled in the 2008 Golden Heart Contest for historical romance.


A Few Reviewer Comments for Red Bird's Song:


I loved the descriptions...I felt I was there...Many mystical episodes are intermingled with the events...The ending is a real surprise, but I will let you have the pleasure of reading it for yourself. 
--Seriously Reviewed


This is a beautifully written story filled with adventure and suspense...This book touched my soul even as it provided a thrilling fictional escape into a period of history I have always found fascinating. --Night Owl Book Review by Laurie-J  (A Night Owl top Pick) For the full review click here~


As for the third novel I'm at work on: Kira, Daughter of the Moon, the sequel to Through the Fire, is set among the clannish Scots-Irish in the Alleghenies on the fringe of a colonial frontier that's rapidly expanding west. The Native Americans in this mystical, adventurous romance are highly essential secondary characters.  Not sure when the story gets listed if that counts as NA or if it will get lost in the vast world of undefined historical romance.

25 comments

  1. Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author // June 1, 2011 at 10:09 AM  

    Since I loved "Red Bird's Song," I can see I'll have to add "Through the Fire" to my TBR pile. Much success, Beth.

  2. Beth Trissel // June 1, 2011 at 10:14 AM  

    Thanks Vonnie. :)

  3. Melinda Elmore // June 1, 2011 at 11:20 AM  

    Beth,

    I am currently reading "Red Bird Song" and I love it I for sure will get all the others

    Walk in harmony,
    Melinda

  4. Cara Marsi // June 1, 2011 at 11:30 AM  

    Beth, I love Native American historical romances. I've got several on my bookshelves. Your books sound terrific. My Kindle is ready for them. Fascinating that you have ancestors who were held captive my Native Americans. Good luck with your books.

  5. Calisa Rhose // June 1, 2011 at 12:29 PM  

    I have to say I do admire anyone who can write this type of historical! I haven't read these, not much of a historical reader anymore, but I might just have to.

  6. Barbara Monajem // June 1, 2011 at 1:27 PM  

    Beth, I think the cover of Red Bird's Song may help attract people who are into Native American romance. The NA aspect of Through the Fire is less obvious from the cover.

  7. Pamela Varnado // June 1, 2011 at 1:39 PM  

    I can't understand why Through the Fire is lagging behind. Both of your stories are wonderful. And I agree with Barbara, the cover of TTF doesn't hightlight the Native American aspects fully. It almost has a paranormal look to it. But I have no doubt that TTF will be as much of a success as Red Bird's Song. Especially since you promote your stories so wonderfully. Good job.

  8. Judith Keim // June 1, 2011 at 2:02 PM  

    Beth, I'm always fascinated with stories about the interaction between Indians and early colonists. And your stories, I know, are wonderfully written. Good luck with this third book...

  9. Beth Trissel // June 1, 2011 at 2:24 PM  

    Thanks so much all. I wonder too about the cover. I love it, but maybe it should have looked more NA.

  10. Tamara LeBlanc // June 1, 2011 at 3:33 PM  

    I haven't read an Indian romance since I was a teenager. Man, I used to love those books!
    I'll be sure to pick yours up Beth.
    And best of luck with the third!!
    Have a great evening,
    Tamara

  11. Beth Trissel // June 1, 2011 at 3:35 PM  

    Thanks Tamara. :)

  12. Paisley Kirkpatrick // June 1, 2011 at 5:53 PM  

    Hi Beth, I wish you lots of sales. I can't imagine anyone not loving your stories. You have such an easy and poetic voice that your stories have to be fun reads. I am just getting into my Kindle and building my library there. I have Somewhere My Love already and can't wait to getting to read it and your other stories. :)

    I've been writing a lot lately and revising so treat myself sparingly to reading while that creative bug is sparking.

  13. Beth Trissel // June 1, 2011 at 6:12 PM  

    Thanks Paisley and I hear you about balancing the writing and the reading. tough to do.

  14. Mona Risk // June 1, 2011 at 6:44 PM  

    Beth, I learned a lot about NA through your books. You have alovely voice in all your books. I think Barbara is right about the book covers.

  15. Beth Trissel // June 1, 2011 at 6:59 PM  

    Thanks Mona. I hope somehow Through the Fire will gain recognition as a Native American romance.

  16. Unknown // June 1, 2011 at 8:04 PM  

    Beth--I'm impressed with the research you've done and that you've created enchanting stories. It seems you have a real love for your ancestory and history overall.
    Congratulations! Celia

  17. Mary Ricksen // June 1, 2011 at 8:47 PM  

    Wonderful blog Beth. Wonderful book and I love the premise!
    Can't wait to read it. I love all your stories Beth! Good luck and great sales!
    I got your back for sure...

  18. Caroline Clemmons // June 1, 2011 at 8:50 PM  

    Beth, I love your writing. You have become one of my favorite authors. That said, I'm still waiting for Fergus' book.

  19. Beth Trissel // June 1, 2011 at 9:19 PM  

    Thanks much. Very appreciated. I know Caroline, I know. Next on my list.

  20. Mary Marvella // June 1, 2011 at 10:52 PM  

    Beth anyone who reads one of your books will eventually look for any others. Girl, you do great blogs!

  21. Beth Trissel // June 1, 2011 at 11:02 PM  

    Thanks MM!

  22. Mimi Barbour // June 1, 2011 at 11:40 PM  

    I just bought Red Bird's Song and after reading this blog, I'm so glad I did. Now to just find the time to read it!! It'll be my treat to me...

  23. Beth Trissel // June 2, 2011 at 8:30 AM  

    Thanks Mimi. Ah yes, the time.

  24. Nightingale // June 2, 2011 at 9:57 AM  

    Beth's writing is so beautifully lush, her history accurate and her characters leap off the page. I haven't read Through the Fire, but I plan to!

  25. Josie // June 2, 2011 at 10:14 PM  

    Beth,
    You are so prolific, and your imagination knows no bounds. Congrats on these beautifully written romances.