Mary wrote a wonderful post over the weekend. She recalled many fond memories about her father and since it’s Father’s Day this coming Sunday, I thought why not ask everyone to tell a little story about their father—a fond memory. And what is the best present you ever gave your father on Father’s Day?

I’ll start. I told one stroy on Mary's blog and if you need inspiration read it. You will smile.

Okay, one of my fondest memories of my father. My dad didn’t spend a whole lot of time with us as we grew up. He was busy building a business, a future for his children, but every first weekend of August we’d all (five kids plus parents) pack into the car and head down to Atlantic City for a long weekend of playing in the surf and walking the boardwalk.

My dad become a different man at the shore. He was playful, allowing us to bury him in the sand up to his chin. At home, money was always tight and he’d watched his wallet, but on the boardwalk he always treated us to snacks that we only enjoyed once a year, like salt water taffy. I remember him laughing in the sun and running into the waves and diving in. I remember him, later in the evening, crying out as mom put Noxzema on his cherry red shoulders. I remember him watching over us like a mom usually did.

Now for my gift. My dad hates cards. He thinks you’re wasting your money buying them. A few years ago, he frowned when I gave him one and made a remark about wasting my money. I snapped it back from him and now every year I give me the same card and then take it back. I also give him a couple lobster tails. (mom gets to cook them) He’s never frowned and never given them back.

12 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // June 13, 2011 at 2:30 AM  

    Lovely, Autumn. My dad was raised so poor he had problems really enjoying gift giving.

    He went without sometimes when he thought his kids needed something. I don't mean he did without food, but I heard him and Mama talking after they thought I was asleep.

    Daddy could repair just about anything! He'd figure a way, even if he had to rig the parts he needed.

  2. Scarlet Pumpernickel // June 13, 2011 at 3:11 AM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  3. Scarlet Pumpernickel // June 13, 2011 at 3:16 AM  

    I was the third of three children and the only girl. I grew up pretty much not realizing I was a girl until I was almost a teen. Which leads me to my story. My brothers always got to go hunting with my dad. I didn't get to go because I was too little and probably because I was a girl, but like I said I didn't know that. Anyway, dad was planning a hunting trip and I started begging to go. On and on I went nagging to be allowed to go hunting. Finally Dad gave in and let me go. I don't know what I expected, but being out in the woods in total darkness while all sorts of noises echoed around me wasn't it. I slipped my index fingers through my dad's back belt loops and closed my eyes. Dad dragged me behind him through the woods for what seemed like miles. I never complained and tried to be quiet when I cried. But I never ever asked to go hunting again. In fact, this might have been when I figured out I was a girl and girls didn't like hunting, walking in the woods at night, hunting or moonless nights.

  4. Scarlet Pumpernickel // June 13, 2011 at 3:17 AM  

    The deleted comment was me--too many typos!

  5. Autumn Jordon // June 13, 2011 at 6:59 AM  

    Duck tape and tarp straps are all my dad said he needed to keep his truck running. I think having so little gave us our moxie, Mary.

    Tell us your gift.
    *****

    LOL, Scarlet, I love that story. I can just picture you. So what is your dad's favorite gift?

  6. Judith Keim // June 13, 2011 at 7:19 AM  

    Cute, Autumn! My Dad was a wonderful man - a real gentle man- who was careful with his pennies, too! Hardworking, he always enjoyed a good joke! And he loved homemade roasted peanuts. He usually had a little jar of them hidden in his bureau!! I still roast peanuts like he taught me today! Yum!

  7. Mona Risk // June 13, 2011 at 10:23 AM  

    Hi ladies, I can't access my Internet and emails but I can open blogs. Loved your stories about your dads. I'll keep mine short for fear of losing connection.

    Dad was a writer and a poet always buried in his books and papers, but around 5:30 pm he would drop everything and take us, Mom, my sister and I, for a walk on the boardwalk to watch the sunset on the Mediterranean Sea. It's one of my fondest memories od Dad.

  8. Nightingale // June 13, 2011 at 10:44 AM  

    We definitely weren't wealthy either. My dad was a machinist in a textile plant, but at 19 when I HAD to have this Jag E-Type, he let me buy it. I had to work to pay for it, but he agreed to pay the repairs and insurance. He came out in the hole! I guess the best Father's Day present I ever gave him was my son Ian who was born 3 days after his birthday!

    My dad liked to fiddle with cars and I'd be right there with him with my head under the hood. He was, and still is, my hero.

  9. Patrice Wilton // June 13, 2011 at 11:46 AM  

    Nice blog, and lovely memories.
    My father was a fire-fighter and his hobby was raising horses. I guess the best gift I ever gave to him was my love for riding and showing the Arabians, and being crowned Rodeo Queen at the age of sixteen.

  10. Josie // June 13, 2011 at 2:06 PM  

    What a lovely blog, Autumn. Sadly, my Dad passed 20 months ago. He was a brilliant musician and a hard worker. The silent type, but a wonderful man.

  11. Beth Trissel // June 13, 2011 at 6:43 PM  

    Great post Autumn. I'm so grateful my dad is still living. He has a birthday this week. His 82nd, I believe. I need to get him something he'd enjoy and like your dad, mine doesn't want me to waste money. He does like funny cards, though. And food. He'll eat most anything to keep it from going to waste. :) He's a retired English prof and very proud of his author daughter.

  12. Autumn Jordon // June 13, 2011 at 8:20 PM  

    You all have such wonderful stories and memories of times spent with your dads. They made me smile.

    I hope a few more readers share their stories and gift ideas. .