Indie Publishing

Posted by Patrice Wilton | 8:31 AM | 18 comments »

Good morning everyone,
Well, following another lovely, but nevertheless, heartbreaking rejection, I have decided to join the brave new world of self publishing and put my baby out into the world for others to trash or adore. Since I'm not as savvy or clever as many of you, I have chosen to use someone who is. We are very lucky in our FRW group to have a talented author/psyhic/book designer--a woman who wears many hats and is successful in everything she chooses to do. Dear, darling, sweet Melissa Alvarez is breaking from her busy schedule to design me a beautiful book --my book of the heart. It's called ALL OF ME, and here is a blurb.
Leila Warner is determined to find a donor match for her twelve-year-old daughter,Callie. The best match would be a blood relative, and no one in the immediate family matched. Another possibility is her deceased husband's brother, a man once accused of murder, a man that his own family disowned, who now lives in Australia and no one has heard from in ten years.
This is an emotionally compelling story, sure to capture your heart. How can a woman not love a man who is willing to save her daughter's life?
Okay, that's the blurb, and the reason I'm not waiting for NY to come knocking on my door, is because the golf community where I live has a cultural committee and they are hosting an author's round table for us Ibis residents who are published. And yes, we have 7 published authors living in my community. One wrote a children's book, another on style, a doctor on her personal experiences as an anesthesiologist, a college professor who wrote Dirty Harriet series for Harlequin's Next. In such esteemed company, I decided my two romantic comedies would not do. They are no longer available for purchase, and I wanted something stronger, with more depth to offer to my captive audience. From past events at Ibis, a hundred or so residents showed up for the talk and book signings, and media might be present.
Once this event is over, I will need guidance as how to promote my book, and find a greater audience. I open up the discussion as to how to get people to find, to choose, to read your book.
It's indeed a brave new world in publishing, but oh, how I wish it wasn't!!

18 comments

  1. heather graham // June 14, 2011 at 9:04 AM  

    Ah, definitely a brave new world. And it's truly going to be marketing that will rule. So many, many books--how to find the target audience and get them to find your book! That's a challenge. The same challenge, but now in new form, and the I-net can be a great equalizer. The best to all of us!

  2. Melissa Alvarez // June 14, 2011 at 10:10 AM  

    Thanks so much for mentioning me, Patrice! I'm enjoying working on your book! Publishing sure is changing rapidly. I've been self-publishing since 2010 when it wasn't cool to do it and owned an ebook/POD publishing house before that was a trend too. You just have to approach it as what it is - a business. You'll succeed!

  3. Tamara LeBlanc // June 14, 2011 at 10:31 AM  

    I loved the blurb...wish there was a bit more of it to read. I guess I'll have to wait until the book comes out:)
    I know a few people who have self published (my critique partner Mary Marvella is one of them!) I'm sure she would have preferred to go the traditional route, but she was and is very passionate about her writing and wanted to get it out there. I support her one hundred percent!
    In answer to your questions about marketing, Like Donald Maass says, writing a great book and letting word of mouth do the marketing for you is key. The book must be great, it must be compelling, amazing and memorable.
    Assuming your baby is just that, make sure you have a website, a blog attached to the website, a Facebook page and a Twitter account. I also recommend finding excellent and highly rated review sites to put the word out there. Some of the romance review sites don't accept Indie published books, but I'm sure there are a few out there willing to give these wonderful books a shot.
    I know for a fact I've sold books off of Facebook, Twitter and at least one review site.
    Hope that helps.
    And best of luck to you!!! I truly wish you the best.
    Have a fantastic day:)
    Tamara

  4. Patrice Wilton // June 14, 2011 at 10:32 AM  

    Thank you Heather, and Melissa for your comments. It's scary because I love this book more than any other and hate to give it away, or have very few readers to read it. I want thousands to appreciate this beautiful story - and I may be tempted at some point, like just before my next book is released, to offer it as free for a couple of weeks. If that can be done!

  5. Patrice Wilton // June 14, 2011 at 10:35 AM  

    Thank you, Tamara,
    Good advice too. I have it on my website, and I did win an award for this book with Reader's Favorite. I will use Facebook to promote it, but I don't see myself twittering, but never say never.

  6. Autumn Jordon // June 14, 2011 at 10:42 AM  

    This is a hard business and the direction we take is our own. Kudos to you for striking out into the new world. I love the premise for you book, so I know you will do well.

    Keep us updated.

  7. Mona Risk // June 14, 2011 at 11:57 AM  

    Interesting blog, Patrice. I don't have the guts to go that way yet. TWRP and Blush are keeping me happy for now. Best of luck.

  8. Patrice Wilton // June 14, 2011 at 1:14 PM  

    Thanks Autumn and Mona.
    If I didn't have this "author's table" coming up at Ibis I wouldn't be doing this, not with this book, maybe something else. We will see. It's too good of a book to stay hidden in a closet. Come out into the sunlight, I say.

  9. Beth Trissel // June 14, 2011 at 1:27 PM  

    Agreed, a brave new world and in many ways an untested unknown wilderness but you are among other hardy pioneers blazing a trail. We all know you have talent and a lovely voice and your story sounds excellent too. I look forward to reading it.

  10. Nightingale // June 14, 2011 at 2:14 PM  

    I'm right there with you today Patrice. Just got one of those heartbreaking rejections on my favorite book too. I think you are brave and I wish you the very, very best.

  11. Jan Washburn // June 14, 2011 at 2:43 PM  

    Patrice - I know the feeling. By the time you finish a book, you are in love with your characters and you want everyone to know them. It sounds like a promising premise. Good luck.

  12. Mary Marvella // June 14, 2011 at 2:44 PM  

    Patrice, jump or wade on into the pool. The water is choppy but not so bad! We will need to blog and promote our butts off for a while.

    We have stories to share and could turn the tide with our work.

  13. Patrice Wilton // June 14, 2011 at 3:26 PM  

    Thank you, Beth, Linda, Jan and Mary M. Yes, it's a big decision but I guess mine was made for me. I wanted something really good, something that would make me proud, when I stand before my distinguished neighbors and friends. I don't have a college degree and my peers are more highly educated than me. I will need all the confidence I can muster!

  14. Scarlet Pumpernickel // June 14, 2011 at 11:40 PM  

    Patrice, best of luck on your new book. The changes taking over the marker are scary. You are very brave to venture out there alone, but you have friends to give you a hand if the water gets too deep.

  15. Judith Keim // June 15, 2011 at 8:37 AM  

    Good luck, Patrice! Your story sounds wonderful! It's such a shame that so many of us are struggling so hard to break through traditional publishing doors! We are indeed in a time of transition...Hope your book flies to the top!

  16. Patrice Wilton // June 15, 2011 at 6:06 PM  

    Thank you, Scarlett and Judy.
    It is scary, although it shouldn't be. I've been pubbed by TWRP and although they paid for everything, I never made any money with them and the book didnt get read by more than a few people and my friends. So, what's the worst that can happen? I sell my hero series, and they say, do you have anything else. And I say, you should have called yesterday. LOL

  17. Unknown // June 16, 2011 at 4:07 PM  

    Way to go, Patrice! Very smart working with Melissa. I have had readers tell me they're buying Mythological Sam just so that can stare at the cover that Melissa made!

    I've been working hard at marketing on-line and with give-aways. there's no way around that fact. However, I'm starting to see results, and have to say, I like being in charge of my career.

    On the other hand, I'm thrilled with my recent sale to Harlequin and plan to use all my new marketing tools on the release of that book in January. So, hey, I'm liking the possibilities I have now with a foot firmly planted in both sides of the publishing world. I see nothing but good things coming.

    I wish you every success with this fabulous book. I know you'll achieve it!

  18. Josie // June 17, 2011 at 12:11 PM  

    Patrice,
    Go for it! This brave new world of self-publishing will be an exciting new venture for you.