Take Time to Unwind

Posted by Pamela Varnado | 4:04 AM | , | 13 comments »

Some of you are getting ready to fly to New York for RWA National. Your energy levels are pumped and primed for five days of whirlwind activities. In between all the agent/editor appointments, workshop sessions, and industry parties, I encourage you to find time to unwind with a good book. Here are two wonderful authors I’m eagerly reading.
1.       Historical romance author Brenda Joyce   

 Enter the magical world of Francesca Cahill, crime-solver extraordinaire. Unlike most New York City turn-of-the-century socialites, Francesca refuses to bow to convention.  She wears her heart on her sleeve and is determined to right the injustices of society.  In fact, Francesca is so unusual she has two notorious rivals feuding for her heart.  Who will be the victor? Handsome Police Commissioner Rick Bragg or the enigmatic billionaire Calder Hart.

I’ve always been a fan of Joyce’s historical novels. There are now nine books in the series.  To read an excerpt from Deadly Vows go to www.brendajoyce.com.
2.      Contemporary romance author Shannon McKenna
If you love reading romantic thrillers packed with what I call keeping-it-real characters, then you’ve got to read Shannon McKenna novels. Her edgy thrillers surround the world of the McCloud brothers. 

Check out these exciting reviews.
McKenna introduces us to fleshed-out characters in a tailspin plot that culminates in an e”Pulse-pounding…with searing sex and raw emotions.” —Romantic Times, 4 ½ Stars
“Intense feelings, hard core adventure, and passionate combustion… I highly recommend.” —Coffee Time Romance
“Blends an intensely terrifying psychic thriller with a mind-blowing erotic romance.”
To read an excerpt of her novel Blood and Fire (available October 2011) go to www.shannonmckenna.com
I’ve enjoyed reading these authors work immensely and hope you find a gem in one of their novels. Good luck at RWA National and have a wonderful time.
Until next time,

13 comments

  1. Nightingale // June 24, 2011 at 9:35 AM  

    Good recommendations. I doubt that if I were at Nationals I'd have time to read though. I prefer reading on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

  2. Judith Keim // June 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM  

    Thanks, Pam, for your suggestions! Nothing better than curling up with a good book! Hope all is well with you. Like you, I'm not one of the people going to RWA... Hope everyone there has fun and success!

  3. Ilona Fridl // June 24, 2011 at 11:16 AM  

    Pam, good choices! I'm not going to nationals either. I blew my money on out WisRWA Conference and I'm glad I did!

  4. Pamela Varnado // June 24, 2011 at 1:04 PM  

    Linda,I'm an introvert so I have to find time to myself at nationals or I'd go crazy. I read every night i'm there.

  5. Pamela Varnado // June 24, 2011 at 1:05 PM  

    Judy,I hope you enjoy the books. Both authors are terrific.

  6. Pamela Varnado // June 24, 2011 at 1:05 PM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  7. Pamela Varnado // June 24, 2011 at 1:07 PM  

    Ilona, smaller conferences are much better venues for meeting with an agent or editor. The larger conferences tend to overwhelm me and I feel that I get a more personal touch at the smaller conferences. But I love the networking opportunities, nationals offers. I've met so many people and made some awesome friends.

  8. Mary Ricksen // June 24, 2011 at 8:20 PM  

    Whaaahh! I can't go!!
    Good suggestions though!

  9. Mona Risk // June 25, 2011 at 11:21 AM  

    Reading or writing a good story are the only ways I unwind. Here in Florida, a group of writers from FRW will gather to celebrate their own National conference with drinks and appetizers.

  10. Pamela Varnado // June 26, 2011 at 2:47 AM  

    Mary,hope you enjoy the reading suggestions.

  11. Pamela Varnado // June 26, 2011 at 2:48 AM  

    Mona,that's a wonderful idea that you and your friends are celebrating your own conference. Hope you don't mind, but I plan to use that wonderful idea as soon as possible.

  12. Josie // June 26, 2011 at 9:44 AM  

    Pam,
    I'm always looking for the next good read. Thanks for the suggestions--I'm going to check them out.

  13. Mary Marvella // June 28, 2011 at 4:45 PM  

    I missed this since I was on the road!
    Excellent suggestions. Thanks. By the way your hair looks fab this week!