Conferences-to go or not to go?

Posted by Patrice Wilton | 11:35 AM | 13 comments »

Hi Everyone,
With the RWA National coming up, I decided to post about the cost versus the gain of attending the major conferences. My last blog was about networking for a faster sale, and yet, I have decided not to attend the NY conference this year. I find that the national is without a doubt, the most exciting event of the year, and as a novice the workshops are extensive and a great place to learn--and for the more experienced writer it's a great place to meet up with old friends, editors and agents, and network.
Unfortunately, it is also expensive. Since my major sale didn't come through for me this year, I've decided to skip this event and perhaps attend the Writers for New Orleans retreat that Heather Graham hosts every year, or the Magnolia and Moonlight conference in Atlanta. Both are very well priced and have an amazing list of agents and editors, which at this point in my career, is what it's all about.
Still, I'm sad to be missing New York, seeing friends who live far away, having dinner with my agent, and being a part of the writer's community. I hope everyone who attends has a wonderful, unique experience, and brings back happy memories, refreshed energy, new contacts, and renewed hope!
On your return, please tell us all about your personal experiences - we will love to hear in lavish detail. Thanks all. Enjoy.

13 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // June 23, 2011 at 12:19 PM  

    We'll miss you, Patrice, as well as the other Fuzzies who can't be there this year. Good post.

    (Coming to Atlanta for M&M would be a good choice!(

  2. Patrice Wilton // June 23, 2011 at 12:50 PM  

    Thanks Mary M - I agree M&M sounds great. I've always wanted to go, but never did.

  3. Nightingale // June 23, 2011 at 1:43 PM  

    I'm going to NOLA, Patrice, and so is Mary Ricksen. Would love to meet you there! Also, I have been to Moonlight and Magnolias and it is a fun and very networking-worthy conference.

  4. Mona Risk // June 23, 2011 at 1:55 PM  

    I am not going to RWA this year. I hope you all will have a swell time and report about it with blogs and pictures. I can't make the NOLA either. I had my conference time at the FRW cruise.

    BTW I am celebrating my release day on www.voicesftheart.blogspot.com and would love to see you all. Ebooks and paperback books for gifts.

  5. Kristin Wallace // June 23, 2011 at 2:06 PM  

    There is great benefit in choosing a smaller chapter conference, too. I went to M&M a coupld years ago & it's great. Almost a mini RWA.

  6. Mary Ricksen // June 23, 2011 at 2:11 PM  

    I so wish I could go too! But I hope you have the best of times MM. Patrice, we could go get drunk and feel sorry for ourselves?
    Come to NOLA it's less expensive! I lived in NY, but have never been to NO!

  7. Patrice Wilton // June 23, 2011 at 3:07 PM  

    Linda, Mary,
    I might join you all but I need to see if its doable. I'm moving on August 1st, and we have some work to do to get our home renovated and up and running.

  8. Patrice Wilton // June 23, 2011 at 3:09 PM  

    Thanks Mona and Kristin,
    I prefer the smaller conferences myself. I feel that you get to spend more time with the editors, and usually can get more than one appt.

  9. Judith Keim // June 23, 2011 at 5:16 PM  

    Yes, it's a hard choice. I'm not going either but am awaiting any news!! But for those of you who are going, have a blast!!

  10. Alyssa Maxwell // June 23, 2011 at 5:27 PM  

    RWA National is so exciting, and it's a fantastic opportunity for writers at any stage of their career, but I do agree that smaller conferences can be just as productive. Like you, I'm sitting this one out due to the expense, but instead, I'll be attending the Novelists Inc. conference in St. Pete's Beach in October. Really looking forward to it!

  11. Traci // June 23, 2011 at 6:36 PM  

    We will miss you Patrice!!

  12. Kaily Hart // June 23, 2011 at 6:38 PM  

    Sorry you won't be there, Patrice! I've never been to NOLA. Perhaps this year :).

  13. Josie // June 26, 2011 at 9:45 AM  

    Patrice,
    I'm skipping Nationals this year, also. Can't wait to hear how everyone does. It's always a wonderful event.