Things we can do to help us feel better when we DON'T!

1. Exercise a little more, even if you just dance while you brush you teeth and when you wash dishes or load the dishwasher. Dancing can be just wiggling your butt or your torso. You're alone, move as though you are still a kid.

2 Write a note or letter to a friend, just to say hello. Sometimes emails can work, but some of us can't write or read just one email. I can't. (Like potato chips or Hershey's kisses)

3. Drink a glass of water or make a cup of your favorite tea. I've heard flavored coffee works, but I don't drink coffee.

4. Watch a kid movie, a fairytale you always loved.

5. Read a kid's book or a young adult book. They are shorter for people with no time to read.

6. Pull out your photos to sort. You most likely won't sort many before you're smiling and remembering fun stories.

7. Sit with a pet or be glad you don't have to clean up after one.

8. Moisturize your face. Yes, that will make you feel better.

9. Check out blogs you have found earlier that are always good.


More to come!

15 comments

  1. Pamela Varnado // March 10, 2010 at 1:30 PM  

    Hey, Mary. I'm feeling a little gloomy today (must be the rain) and this posting is just what I needed to pep me up.

  2. Mary Marvella // March 10, 2010 at 2:37 PM  

    Thanks, I needed it, too! I'm glad I helped you, girlfriend!

  3. Autumn Jordon // March 10, 2010 at 4:04 PM  

    Great advice. Here's a few that help feel my spirts.

    1)Massage your feet.

    2)Stretch. It's amazing how touching the floor can left your spirits.

    3)Help someone in need. It's doesn't ake much to make someone smile.

    4)Sing like the rock star you wanted to be when you were younger.

    5)Pray or mediate.

  4. Mary Marvella // March 10, 2010 at 4:11 PM  

    Ecellent ideas, Autumn!

    Balloons! Blow up balloons and give them to someone.

  5. Mary Ricksen // March 10, 2010 at 9:57 PM  

    Sit in your garden and let time stop for a moment.
    Daydream, blow bubbles, play!

  6. Scarlet Pumpernickel // March 10, 2010 at 10:38 PM  

    MM, exercise makes me tired! You know that. Never have understood all the talk of getting in the zone, I just crash and burn. Like the idea of watching the kid movie or reading a ya book. Good idea, I could deal with that and of course reading a good blog like the Pink Fuzzies always brings a smile. Thanks, MM.

    Scarlet--treading water--

  7. Mary Marvella // March 10, 2010 at 11:59 PM  

    Mary R love the bubbles idea.

  8. Mary Marvella // March 11, 2010 at 12:01 AM  

    Sorry about the water, Scarlet. Did you notice that I misspelled excellent?

  9. Judith Keim // March 11, 2010 at 8:08 AM  

    What a great post! Good reminders to stop and do something for others and ourselves. Sometimes we women forget the last part and it's okay to pamper ourselves...

  10. MAGolla // March 11, 2010 at 8:55 AM  

    Wonderful list, Mary! Right now, I have my kitty in my lap--he's old and only drops by the computer on rare occasions.
    AND if you want to read another MG short story--in honor of St. Paddy's DAy--I posted my newest on my blog, starting with the 3/8/10 installment, but, alas, it is an 8 parter so I'll be posting for another week or so!

  11. Joelle Charbonneau // March 11, 2010 at 2:29 PM  

    I think blowing up balloons is my favorite idea. Just thinking about it makes me happy!

  12. Mary Marvella // March 11, 2010 at 9:50 PM  

    Hey, Judy, sometimes we need to be proactive to make ourselves feel better.

  13. Mary Marvella // March 11, 2010 at 9:52 PM  

    Magnolia (Margaret) you are such a tease. Of course I come read your new story.

  14. Mary Marvella // March 11, 2010 at 9:53 PM  

    Yo, Joelle! I love balloons!

  15. Josie // March 12, 2010 at 9:17 AM  

    Hi Mary,
    Excellent suggestions. Autumn and Joelle, thanks for adding to Mary's list.
    I like to look over travel magazines and brochures. And, any kind of retail therapy.