We’ve all heard the old adage, ‘When life hands you lemons, make lemonade. ‘ The saying is an optimist’s advice to a pessimist on navigating the hard times of life. But how much lemonade can one person make? Or drink?




If you’re going to keep it for yourself, I guess you’d get tired of the drink real fast. The smell of lemons would sicken you. The acid would burn your skin. Sweetness would be lost on your taste buds. But, if you’d plan to share the lemonade with your family or friends, you could make a little more, right? Others might be able help you put things into perspective. Maybe help tweak your recipe.

And if you decided to look beyond those first thoughts and think outside of the box, you’d realize you could experiment, develop a really great, unique recipe for lemonade and share it with the world. Doing so, might lead you down a path you’d never thought of taking. One that might be the sweetest road you’d ever traveled.




Cheers!

10 comments

  1. Autumn Jordon // March 28, 2010 at 10:32 AM  

    Boy, after reading my post, I thought that sounds preachy. I guess writing the blog was therapeutic for myself today. Not that life has thrown me anything I can’t handle. (I’m heading down a different career path, that’s exciting. Family is growing, double exciting.) I just feel like I need to get off my own duff and get moving towards some personal 2009 goals I’ve set for myself and which I've let slide over the past few weeks--due to family obligations.

    So today, I’m having lemon in my tea, reviewing my goals, noting what worked so far this year and what didn’t and I'm making a plan to make this spring count.

  2. Nightingale // March 28, 2010 at 12:32 PM  

    I'm making lemonade right now. But I plan to take that new path, too, Autumn. And I liked your comment as much as your post.

  3. Mary Marvella // March 28, 2010 at 1:05 PM  

    Sometimes we repeat "sayings" and lose track of what they mean. Good insight Autumn.

  4. Autumn Jordon // March 28, 2010 at 2:41 PM  

    Thanks, Linda and Mary. I hope your having a wonderful Sunday. After ripping a chapter apart, I think I'll curl up with a good book and another hot cup of tea on this damp day.

  5. Author Roast and Toast // March 28, 2010 at 3:13 PM  

    Are we allowed to use the limes in the picture? Lemon-lime aide would be nice.
    I like to grab the unexpected and use it.

  6. Joelle Charbonneau // March 28, 2010 at 3:59 PM  

    I'm thinking of adding a pink lemonade to the mix whenever I get bored of the regular stuff:) And I'm a fan of chicken vesuvio...the hint of lemon without the wallop of acid.

    I think we can always find new ways of looking at the positive in things to keep us going. Great post, Autumn.

  7. Autumn Jordon // March 28, 2010 at 9:12 PM  

    Use what you want, Mary. LOL.

    Thanks, Joellla.

  8. Judith Keim // March 29, 2010 at 8:48 AM  

    I loved your blog, Autumn. Writers work in such a solitary existence sometimes that we forget to reach out to the world around us and share both good times and bad. I find myself guilty of that...Good post!

  9. Patrice // March 29, 2010 at 11:15 AM  

    What a great concept - very good Autumn! Love my lemonade and traveling down my own special path, but I sure wish it would get me where I want to go!

  10. Josie // March 30, 2010 at 9:27 AM  

    Great post, Autumn. I'm boiling sugar and water right now, and the lemons are sitting on the counter.