A wonderful childhood memory of mine is arriving home after church one Sunday to find a clump of yellow daffodils, beaded with rain,  blooming beside the back door.  New flowers to me because I’d spent my early years in Taiwan where my parents both taught English.  We had a banana tree there, but no daffodils.   Rushing to the flowers in delight, I buried my face in the moist petals and breathed in the essence of spring.  To this day, nothing says spring to me like the fragrance of a simple  daffodil.

“The flowers of late winter and early spring occupy places in our hearts well out of proportion to their size.” ~Gertrude S. Wister  *I totally get this quote :)


“I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o’er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze. ” ~ William Wordsworth

“Daffodils that come before the swallow dares, and take the winds of March with beauty.” ~ Shakespeare

“It is daffodil time, so the robins all cry, For the sun’s a big daffodil up in the sky, And when down the midnight the owl call “to-whoo”! Why, then the round moon is a daffodil too; Now sheer to the bough-tops the sap starts to climb, So, merry my masters, it’s daffodil time.”
~ Clinton Scollard
“A thing of beauty is a joy forever.
Its loveliness increases. It will never
Pass into nothingness….Such the sun, the moon.
Trees old and young; sprouting a shady boon For simple sheep; such are daffodils With the green world they live in.”  ~John Keats

“Flowers have spoken to me more than I can tell in written words.  They are the hieroglyphics of angels, loved by all men for the beauty of their character, though few can decipher even fragments of their meaning.” ~ Lydia M. Child


“It is not raining rain to me,
It’s raining daffodils;
In every dimpled drop I see
Wild flowers on the hill.” ~ Robert Loveman

“If you’ve never been thrilled to the very edges of your soul by a flower in spring bloom, maybe your soul has never been in bloom.”  ~Terri Guilleme
ts


*My tiny pom-poo and faithful friend Sadie Sue.

16 comments

  1. Joelle Charbonneau // March 26, 2010 at 11:36 AM  

    Thanks for the flowers:) I know I could totally use some real ones blooming outside. Perhaps soon....

  2. Nightingale // March 26, 2010 at 12:08 PM  

    Daffodils are one of my favorite flowers. It was wonderful to see them in the spotlight. I agree with Joelle -- Thanks for the flowers!

  3. Beth Trissel // March 26, 2010 at 12:22 PM  

    Glad you are savoring them. :)

  4. Tiffany Green // March 26, 2010 at 12:41 PM  

    Beautiful flowers! And your Sadie Sue looks like such a sweetie. Thanks for sharing the lovely photos.

  5. Beth Trissel // March 26, 2010 at 2:07 PM  

    Thanks Tiffany. Sadie is a bossy little thing to our other pets but very sweet.

  6. Pamela Varnado // March 26, 2010 at 3:02 PM  

    Seeing a flower in bloom has always put a smile on my face. I reminds me the wonder of life, even if it's been dormant for a season.

  7. Beth Trissel // March 26, 2010 at 3:51 PM  

    New life is magical.

  8. Mary Ricksen // March 26, 2010 at 6:12 PM  

    Beautiful, thanks for the lovely pics. Big smile for Beth!

  9. Mary Marvella // March 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM  

    Beth, I love the way you use quotes and pictures to draw us in. Lovely job!

  10. Barbara Monajem // March 26, 2010 at 7:59 PM  

    Thank you, Beth. I love daffodils, too.

    Dandelions are one of my favorite flowers. I was in Vancouver last week, and saw a ton of them on my walk... which brought back many childhood memories.

  11. Scarlet Pumpernickel // March 26, 2010 at 11:28 PM  

    We call them JohnnyQuills and I do love it when they burst into bloom. The first story I sold had a line about them in the opening paragraph. It was the only word the editor changed in the entire manuscript. Changed it to Daffodils. I'd never realized they were the same thing until that moment!

  12. Beth Trissel // March 27, 2010 at 9:49 AM  

    :)))) Scarlet, the other name for daffodils is jonquils. And thanks guys. I love doing these sorts of posts best.

  13. Mary Marvella // March 27, 2010 at 12:34 PM  

    We love having such a pro blogger!

  14. Patrice Wilton // March 27, 2010 at 3:33 PM  

    That is lovely, enjoyed the flowers and the quotes.

  15. Maggie Toussaint // March 27, 2010 at 5:09 PM  

    Hey Beth,
    I LOVE your post. I'm a big fan of daffodils. Once I see them, I know the cold weather is nearly gone. I was able to see daffodils in Atlanta last weekend. We don't get them down on the coast, and I miss seeing them. I have a wonderful memory of my first child crawling in a bed of daffodils with delight.

  16. Josie // March 27, 2010 at 11:51 PM  

    Beautiful post, Beth. The flowers are some of my favorites. What type of dog is Sadie Sue? A maltipoo?