Greetings Faith.  We're delighted to have you visit with us. ~

1: What do you most like about writing? Least like? What made you want to be an author?
What I like the most…I love creating characters.  How they talk to me, how they won’t move if I’m not going in direction they want me to…lol. 
What I like the least…second guessing myself after the book is finished.  Like when all the edits are done, the galley’s finished, it has a release date, etc, and I’m going, maybe I should have done it this way.  I am also not very fond of editing my own work…lol.  
 What made me want to be an author?  Well, it’s like this, I don’t think I had a choice.  From the time I was old enough to know what an imagination was, I was daydreaming.  I dreamt of heroes, heroines, plots, all kinds of stuff that took me away.  Once I discovered romance novels, I couldn’t stop reading them.  So many exciting worlds!
 2: When did you decide to write romance and how long have you been at it? Also, have you written other genres? 
 I decided I wanted to write romance in the sixth grade.  Yep, when there were dragons and dinosaurs…lol.  I have been seriously writing since 2000.  No, I stick to romance.
3: How do you get over writer’s block? 
Now you are speaking my language…lol.  I actually interviewed a professor who helped me get over writer’s block.  You simply turn off your monitor and write blind so to speak.  Don’t worry about the mistakes, just visualize the scene.  It works.  Here is the link where you can find the article if interested.  http://thewildrosepress.com/publisher/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1047&Itemid=142
4: How do you come up with your ideas?
Most of my ideas come out of the blue.  From a dream, watching someone walk down a road, just a passing thought, a thunderstorm.
5: Do you ever have problems not going over the top details and plot lines? Do your characters take over?
My characters do have a mind of their own, but so far they have not proved to be too bad…lol.  I think that my details and plot lines balance out pretty well.
6: How did you find a publisher? 
I entered the Through The Garden Gate Contest and got a request from Pam Winger at The Wild Rose Press to revise and resubmit.  I did and then I submitted a paranormal.  I was truly blessed!
7: On average, how long does it take to write your books? 
That depends.  My first book, which is not pubbed took over seven years with a five year hiatus due to family crises.  I have written a book in less than two years, two months, two weeks, and six weeks.  I think it depends on the subject and if I can just find the time to sit down and let the muse take over.
8: Do you have a person in your life that you would consider to be your inspiration?
Wow, that is a hard question.  There are more than one.  My husband who fought the battle of a brain injury and lost, my daughter who cared for him and put her own life on hold, and special friends who are authors who wouldn’t let me quit.
9: Who’s your favorite author to read? Favorite book?
Now, that is a question, I feel I just can’t answer.  We don’t have enough space…lol.  I love to read medieval and regency authors, as well as vampire authors.
10: How do you cope with rejection?
My first rejection made me want to tear up the manuscript.  It was for a contest.  A friend stopped me…lol.  Since then I’ve been rejected several times and still dread the dreaded rejection.  Now, I try to read it without getting my feelings  hurt, put it away for a day or two and then look at it again, and stubborn as I am, I try to rework the manuscript to make it better.
11: Do you base your characters on people you know?
Not really, although I might use certain characteristics or surnames from people I know.
12: How do you determine the goals of your characters? 
That is a good question.  I’m not sure…lol.  I tend to sit down, write out the first few chapters, and then take a look at GMC.  I know that’s not the way it’s suppose to be, but I have to get into the characters heads before I know what their goals are.

Faith, we have much in common.  Thanks so much for your honest, touching, and witty answers.
For more on this talented author please visit her website at:http://www.faithvsmith.com/

44 comments

  1. Faith V. Smith // March 30, 2010 at 9:46 AM  

    Morning Beth,

    Thank you so much for having me here! I love it! I do want to clarify one thing. I forgot to give credit to the one person who has always stood by my side, holding my hand. The Lord God & his precious son, Jesus. The trials and tribulations of life can be great, but he has guided me.

    Now, as for us being alike, I agree! I love your work! Looking forward to seeing your latest time travel!

    Please everyone, do visit me at my website and blog.

    Hugs and don't give up! Keep writing!

    Faith

  2. Judith Keim // March 30, 2010 at 9:49 AM  

    Welcome, Faith! Glad you could visit the Fuzzies. We always like to hear from authors like yourself and learn a bit about you and the wonderful books you write. Good luck with everything.

  3. Beth Trissel // March 30, 2010 at 10:29 AM  

    Amen to that Faith, and thanks!

  4. Nightingale // March 30, 2010 at 10:49 AM  

    Faith, you have some really great covers. I'm sure what's inside is great too. Thanks for dropping by the Fuzzies.

  5. Unknown // March 30, 2010 at 10:49 AM  

    Good Morning, Faith! Very nice interview and I love your books. Great to get to more you a bit better. Good luck with your writing and I hope to see you in person sometime so I can give you a hug!

    Lovely site, ladies. I will stop by again and visit.

    Dani

  6. Faith V. Smith // March 30, 2010 at 10:54 AM  

    Hi Judy! Thank you so much for your kind words! I love talking to authors! I think we can learn from one another!

    Faith

  7. Faith V. Smith // March 30, 2010 at 10:55 AM  

    Beth, you are more than welcome! Hugs!

    Faith

  8. Faith V. Smith // March 30, 2010 at 10:56 AM  

    Nightingale!!!!

    Thank you for liking the covers! I'm fond of them also. Every time I look at them, I'm amazed that they're mine! Publication was a long time coming, but it's great!

    Faith

  9. Faith V. Smith // March 30, 2010 at 10:57 AM  

    Tia!!!!!! Thank you! I hear you have a book that will be coming out in the future! I am so happy you dropped by, and I'll take that hug whenever we can get together!

    Faith

  10. Unknown // March 30, 2010 at 10:59 AM  

    LOL Faith. I was trying to say, get to know you better. Guess I need to preview. Anyway, I am going to take a look at the article on writer's block that you suggested.
    Also, glad to hear you don't like editing your work. We (Tia and Dani) hate doing it.

    Have a beautiful week.

  11. Faith V. Smith // March 30, 2010 at 11:05 AM  

    LOL, editing stinks...lol, but it's so important. I think that for us authors it is so hard to see what's in front of us. Our mind tends to see what should be there and sometimes we miss things. OH well, that is why we have editors. I love Callie and Sarah and Pam is no longer with TWRP. They have all been great!

    Faith

  12. Eliza March // March 30, 2010 at 11:55 AM  

    I can assure you that what's inside those great looking covers is just as good, if not better than the fantastic looking guys. I love the pace and characters. Faith, keep on writing!
    Eliza M.

  13. Faith V. Smith // March 30, 2010 at 12:05 PM  

    ELIZA!!!!!!! Your words are gold in my ears, if I was earrings...lol. Thank you, I'm a huge fan of yours also!

    My guys are hot inside and outside the covers!

    Hugs!

    Faith

  14. Anonymous // March 30, 2010 at 12:06 PM  

    Faith welcome to the Pink Fuzzies! We're pleased to have you visit. I love your covers and can't wait to read your book!

    Melba Moon
    President-Elect KOD

  15. Faith V. Smith // March 30, 2010 at 12:50 PM  

    Hi Melba! Thank you so much! Glad to have you stop by!

    Faith

  16. Mary Marvella // March 30, 2010 at 12:58 PM  

    Hey, Faith, wonderful interview. Beth finds us such special guests. You will find kindred souls here.

    It seems from your fans that your books a perfect for my to-be-read room!

    Thanks so much for visiting with us.

    Mama Mary

  17. Faith V. Smith // March 30, 2010 at 1:00 PM  

    Hi Mama Mary,

    Oh please let me know if you do use it for your reading room and if you like it! I love this place! Ya'll are so sweet!

    Thank you for the wonderful welcome!

    Faith

  18. Patrice // March 30, 2010 at 1:33 PM  

    Welcome to the Fuzzies, Faith. You sound like a very accomplished and very nice lady, and I want to wish you all the very best with your writing career. Love the covers - talk about hunks!

  19. Patrice Wilton // March 30, 2010 at 1:35 PM  

    Nice to have you here, Faith. You seem like a very accomplished and very nice lady. Best of luck with your writing career, and btw love the covers. Talk about hunks!

  20. Faith V. Smith // March 30, 2010 at 2:02 PM  

    Thanks Patrice! I try...lol. Ya'll are a great bunch of writers!!!!! Thank you for having me here!

    Faith

  21. Beth Trissel // March 30, 2010 at 2:50 PM  

    Thanks for the high five on my excellent taste Mama Mary. Faith is a delightful lady and very talented author.

  22. Mary Ricksen // March 30, 2010 at 3:30 PM  

    Welcome to our blog Faith. I just love all three of your covers!!
    Loved the interview, thanks!!!

  23. Faith V. Smith // March 30, 2010 at 4:06 PM  

    Beth, I'm blushing! Thank you! I am loving being here!

    Hugs!

    Faith

  24. Faith V. Smith // March 30, 2010 at 4:08 PM  

    Hi Mary,

    Thank you! You always make me feel good. Ya'll have a lovely home here!

    Faith

  25. Debra St. John // March 30, 2010 at 4:25 PM  

    Oooh, vampire stories are my favorites, too!

  26. Joelle Charbonneau // March 30, 2010 at 4:36 PM  

    Hi Faith! Thanks for stopping by the fuzzies. I love that you wait to understand your characters' goals and motivations until you have written the first few chapters. I think that no matter how well you think you know what those goals are to start out, things change as the scenes unfold. You just never know what those pesky GMCs are going to be until the characters are walking around on the page.

  27. Faith V. Smith // March 30, 2010 at 5:00 PM  

    Hi Debra! Yeah, I love a good fangsome story! I want the emotions full force. What vampire authors do you like or do you want to say? I know there are many I'm fond of!

    Faith

  28. Faith V. Smith // March 30, 2010 at 5:01 PM  

    Hi Joelle! Yeah, it's amazing how those characters can change our minds...lol. You try to lead them and they end up leading you!

    Good to see you here!

    Faith

  29. Barbara Edwards // March 30, 2010 at 7:23 PM  

    Hi Faith,
    Interesting interview. It's nice to know you better.

  30. Faith V. Smith // March 30, 2010 at 9:16 PM  

    Hi Barbara!!!!!!

    Good to see you here!

    Faith

  31. Barbara Monajem // March 30, 2010 at 10:55 PM  

    Hi, Faith. Thanks for visiting.

    I totally relate about characters refusing to move if you're not taking them where *they* want to go... They can be so stubborn!! And they're usually right. Sigh.

  32. Rodney // March 31, 2010 at 2:48 AM  

    Great interview from a great little sister! Love you and I am proud of you! Rod

  33. Faith V. Smith // March 31, 2010 at 8:13 AM  

    Nice to meet you Barbara. And don't you know that sometimes when they refuse to move, the characters that is, they are right! LOL!

    Faith

  34. Faith V. Smith // March 31, 2010 at 8:14 AM  

    Dearest Rod,

    Thank you for always supporting me. You are the best big brother a girl could have!

    Love you! Lots of hugs!

    Faith

  35. Autumn Jordon // March 31, 2010 at 9:34 AM  

    Hi, Faith. Sorry I'm late to the party. So sorry for your loss. I'm sure you DH is smiling down on you.

    You have a similar writing method as I do. I always start with the first three or four chapters. I need to know them a little before really asking them leading questions.

    Great to see another fellow Rose here.

  36. Faith V. Smith // March 31, 2010 at 10:08 AM  

    Morning Autumn,

    You hit the nail on the head! You have to know them better. For me, my characters are real. sometimes more so than actual walking around people...lol. Yeah, that should earn me a looney bin award. But until we know a bit about anyone, how can we say what they will or won't do.

    One of the things my dd thinks is strange is I say my characters talk to me. When they don't, I'm in serious trouble...lol.

    Glad to be here, and glad to see you!

    Faith

  37. Faith V. Smith // March 31, 2010 at 11:35 AM  

    Just to let you know, Viking Go, Home as released today if anyone is interested. It's at The Wild Rose Press, main catalogue!

    Thanks for a wonderful time!

    Faith

  38. Nancy J. Cohen // March 31, 2010 at 4:57 PM  

    Nice interview, Faith!

  39. Jennifer Akers // March 31, 2010 at 6:19 PM  

    Great interview, Faith! It's interesting to hear how your characters are "born" before I fall in love with them.

  40. Nightingale // March 31, 2010 at 8:23 PM  

    Hi Faith, intended to drop back by but got waylaid by my son who came to dinner (he wasn't working until today!) That road (to the exalted state of published) is hard, but you now you have many books to your credit! With fabulous covers!!!

  41. Faith V. Smith // March 31, 2010 at 9:55 PM  

    Hi Nancy! Thank you! I hear you have a great futeristic coming out later this year! Looking forward to it!

    Faith

  42. Faith V. Smith // March 31, 2010 at 9:56 PM  

    Big hugs, Jen! You have always been one of my biggest fans, even before I sold the first book! Thank you so much!!!!!

    Love you!

    Faith

  43. Faith V. Smith // March 31, 2010 at 9:57 PM  

    Evening Nightingale,

    Yes, I do have the books and the covers. It's like when I look at them, I want to use a Steve Urkle praise, "Did I do that?"

    Thank you my friend!

    Faith

  44. Josie // April 1, 2010 at 10:19 AM  

    Hi Faith,
    Thanks so much for joining the Pink Fuzzies. Your interview was very thought-provoking. If only our muse and enough hours in a day worked together.