“May those who love us, love us. And those who don’t love us, May God turn their hearts; And if He doesn’t turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles, So we will know them by their limping.” ~Irish Blessing
Contributed by my husband. :)

My friend Patricia Mann’s late father, Bob McCluskey, was an Irishman.  Here are some sayings found among his papers which she has kindly shared with me and I with you~

“When I feel them a-coming,
A spell of the blues.
Feel worried and troubled,
Don’t know what to do,
I then turn my thoughts
Dear friend, unto you.
And know I’m not alone–
You have troubles, too.

Then mine become lessened,
As if for flight,
And I send you a wish
With all of my might.
May all your troubles
Boon float away
And may mine join yours
Upon their way.”
****
“Gin ye find a heart that’s weary.
And that needs a brither’s hand,
Dinna thou turn from it, dearie,
Thou shouldst help thy fellow man.
Thou mayest have a hidden heartache,
Sacred from all mortal kin,
And because of thine own grief’s sake,
Thou maun feel for ither men.”
****
“When we feel restless, impatient and discouraged because we have lost something prized or loved, let us remember the first and last verses of Mrs. Wheeler’s beautiful poem, ‘Recompense:’

“Straightway through my heart this fact to-day
By truth’s own hand is driven;
God never takes one thing away,
But something else is given.
It is the law, complete, sublime;
And now with faith unshaken,
In patience I but bide my time
When any joy is taken.”

 
An Old Irish Blessing~and my favorite

“May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.”

*Royalty free pics of Ireland

9 comments

  1. Anonymous // March 17, 2010 at 11:55 AM  

    Thanks for sharing. The last one is my favorite one also!

    Melba Moon
    President-Elect KOD

  2. Judith Keim // March 17, 2010 at 12:15 PM  

    Thanks, Beth! Makes the day special. The last one is very special to me since a friend of his sent it to my father-in-law shortly before he died....

  3. Mary Marvella // March 17, 2010 at 12:55 PM  

    Wonderful! Loved the pictures and needed the blessings. Thanks, Beth!

  4. Beth Trissel // March 17, 2010 at 1:53 PM  

    Glad you all enjoyed it.

  5. Donnell Ann Bell // March 17, 2010 at 5:48 PM  

    Thanks Beth. What great poems and what a cute little chi...chihua...chiuahhha... dog in the green hat ;)

  6. Mary Ricksen // March 17, 2010 at 8:05 PM  

    Very cute blog! We're Irish they have to love us!!
    Cute kid, your;s?

  7. Beth Trissel // March 17, 2010 at 9:11 PM  

    Thanks. No, that cute kid is pure Irish.

  8. Mary Marvella // March 17, 2010 at 10:34 PM  

    Good job, Beth!

  9. Josie // March 18, 2010 at 8:10 AM  

    Beautiful and fitting, Beth. Thanks for sharing.