Jianne Carlo's Road Trip Continues

Posted by Mary Marvella | 12:54 AM | , , | 4 comments »

Jianne Carlo continues the tale of her trip cross country with her husband, bless his heart. Early installments can be found on this blog.

We decided to move south the day I was stranded in a field in the middle of nowhere in my first blizzard. That was 32 years ago.

The last time we were in Dallas there was a Coup D’état in the country we were living in. For those of you who don’t know the term (I wish I didn’t) - a coup d’état means that factions of the army try to take over the country and establish a military dictatorship - Cuba, in other words.

So when day 3 of the CENT tour began with - don’t let the weathermen fool you - it was a blizzard not a ‘snow storm’ - us driving through a blizzard to get to just outside of Dallas, TX, the superstitious bent in me started ringing like alarms at a nuclear site. (You caught the location, I hope.)

Turns out it wasn’t as bad as we expected. We had a couple of hours of driving with bad conditions but we eventually reached Tyler, which is a sprawling southern city with not a lot of charm and a ton of snow, which they don’t ever get. The electricity was out everywhere and we arrived, after 7 hours of driving, around 6:30 p.m. starving and a tad on the cranky side.

Did I mention we have bets about whether we’ll still be speaking to each other after 30 days on the road?

The hotel was overrun with locals who had no power checking in to stay warm, and there was an hour wait at any restaurant we found. Luckily, I spotted a little fish place with a sign saying - The Crawfish Are In.

Aaaah, nothing switches a cranky mood to ecstatic like hot gumbo, steamed nitro-spicy crawfish, and a couple of local brews. We ate like pigs, came back happy and warm and full, and topped the night off by watching the start of the Winter Olympics.

We lived in Vancouver for a couple of years and felt very proud of that grand opening.

Today, we’re off to Amarillo, Texas.

Too bad Vancouver’s not getting the snow we are in the south!

Cheers,

When East meets West, Cultures Collide, Passions Sizzle…

email: jianne@jiannecarlo.com

url : www.jiannecarlo.com

JC_ValentineVoodoo_coversm

books:
Valentine Voodoo, Manacled in Monaco, T is for Temptation, D is for Desire, Notorious in Nice, White Wolf

4 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // March 13, 2010 at 12:39 PM  

    Who'd have thought Jianne would encounter REAL SNOW in Dallas, Texas?
    AMAZING! Of course we had REAL SNOW in Atlanta,Georgia and south.

  2. Mary Ricksen // March 13, 2010 at 6:41 PM  

    I'm afraid I'd have done some damage to my DH after that long in a car with him!

  3. Pamela Varnado // March 13, 2010 at 7:33 PM  

    The weather is crazy this year. We just had a of downpour of hail in Georgia. I've lived here for ten years and by March the temps are usually in the 70s and I'm pulling out my summer clothes.
    I'm trying not to think too hard about the 2012 predictions.

  4. Joelle Charbonneau // March 13, 2010 at 11:42 PM  

    I'm with Mary. I can't imagine traveling for a month with my husband. I wouldn't trade him for anything, but that much car time would have tested me (and to be fair it would have tested him, too).