Well, it’s finally arrived! Summer's here and not a day too soon for all the teachers at my school. Where does the time go? It seems like barely a couple months ago we were starting a new school year and now, it’s finished, over, done!

Now, to the question that is of greatest importance: what to do with the free time afforded me by the end of the school year. I plan to do several things this summer. Three are really big ones, but the most import is to complete my current wip. For those who don’t know that's writer lingo for work in progress.

I’m setting goals, making plans and lists and hoping for the best. My goal is to have my current wip completed before RWA’s National Conference in July. My plan to accomplish this includes meeting regularly with my critique partner, going to Starbuck’s several times during the week to write, but most of all, applying butt to chair and working. My list looks something like this:
Fly to Spain, cruise the Mediterranean (for real, I leave early today. If I’m absent from the fuzzies for a few days, you’ll know why!)
Return home, upload pictures of trip to the Pink Fuzzy Slipper Writers blog.
Apply butt to chair and write.
Go to Starbucks and write (It helps to stir my creativity to get away from the usual all by myself where I can wear my “writer’s persona” --family just doesn’t get this one.)
Set schedule to meet with Critique Partner. (I’m one of the luckiest people in the world when it comes to my partner. ( MM is the greatest.)
Apply butt to chair and write.
Attend National with completed manuscript to pitch.
Apply butt to chair and write.
Clean the deck and sit outside to write.
That's about it, I’ll hope for the best outcome. What about you? How do you plan to attack the lazy hazy crazy days of summer?

10 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // May 28, 2009 at 12:42 AM  

    I'll hold Scarlet to her goals! Can't wait to hear about her trip.

  2. Judith Keim // May 28, 2009 at 7:13 AM  

    Lazy? What is this word? Living in FL I can understand hazy...LOL Every day is a writing day for me whether it's done at my desk, observing people, listening in on private conversations in public...well, you get the picture. But butt in chair is very important. Enjoy your trip! Safe travels...

  3. MAGolla // May 28, 2009 at 7:56 AM  

    Uhm, #1 is not kill daughter.
    #2 have fun doing stuff with daughter, and not kill her.
    #3 find time to edit MS that I need to finish TOMORROW, and not kill daughter.
    Yeah, that's about it.

  4. Scarlet Pumpernickel // May 28, 2009 at 8:17 AM  

    Magolla,
    Can so relate to #1! DH and DD and GDD are going with me so I'll be chanting all the way, you love them, you don't hurt them! Leaving in about 15 minutes. Up most of the night and back up at 6! I'm pumped. Will try to catch some zzzzz's on the way over. Y'all hold down the fort, I'll be home soon with more ideas than I know what to do with!

    Ciao!

    Scarlet

  5. Edie Ramer // May 28, 2009 at 9:31 AM  

    OMG! Have a great time in Spain.

    I plan on butt in the chair every day. I hope more of it is spent writing than on the Internet!

  6. Mona Risk // May 28, 2009 at 1:38 PM  

    Apply butt to chair and write. I love it as a goal, but I like even better the "go on a cruise to Spain."

    Actually you can do both. Honestly I did it last year, took my laptop and typed while lounging on the deck. Of course cruisers thought I was crazy, and a few waiters told me in a very soft voice the one you use to talk to a retarded kid,"you really should enjoy your cruise."

    Have a great time in Spain.

  7. Mary Ricksen // May 28, 2009 at 2:57 PM  

    I'm going to NC in June for two weeks. And the rest of the time I guess will be butt in chair too. It's too darn hot to go out in Florida. From the door to the car AC you can break out in a sweat. It's that bad.
    I hope everyone who is going away has a great time this summer. And those at home too. It would be nice to spend the summer where Beth lives.
    Did you tell them you were enjoying yourself Mona?

  8. Josie // May 28, 2009 at 3:06 PM  

    Sounds like you have a great trip planned. Looking forward to the details when you get back.

  9. Pamela Varnado // May 30, 2009 at 2:55 AM  

    Scarlet,
    Wow, your summer is packed, but you know what? You deserve it. I truely believe that teachers are God's gift to mankind. Enjoy your trip and I can't wait to see the pictures.

    Smooches,

  10. Nightingale // May 30, 2009 at 4:05 PM  

    I'm envious of the trip. I call attack on writing BIC -- butt in chair! I need to spend more time BIC. I'm also envious of the trip to the Nationals. Although I did get to go to RT and meet some of the other wonderful Fuzzies.