Cougar in a small town!

Posted by Scarlet Pumpernickel | 4:23 PM | 10 comments »

When my son was sixteen he and a friend spent one Saturday evening circling all the favorite teen hangouts. In our small town, those consisted of McDonald's and Burger King. Cruising was the favorite pastime of teens their age. This particula Saturday evening, they pulled into a parking spot and went inside for a burger. When they came out there was a small group gathered around his car. He drove a 67 Nova painted Candy Apple red with a souped up motor he and his dad had built. In this group there was a woman, no not a girl, a woman who was checking out the boys and the cars. She approached my son and his friend and began a coversation. I'm not sure what exactly transpired during this little gathering, but I do know that my son took his friend home early and then came home. It was before ten and I wasn't expecting him home so early. When I inquired about the early evening, he said, "I'm going to my room. If anybody comes looking for me, I'm not here." I watched as he climbed the stairs to his room then close the door behind him. Puzzled I returned to watching my favorite television program. About two minutes later there was a knock at the door. I opened the door and a woman stood there.
"Is John home?" She asked.
"Yes," I answered.
She gave me a look.
"Can I see him," she said.
"No," I answered.
"Why not?" She asked giving me another "look."
"Because I said so," I answered.
"And just who do you think you are?" She asked.
This woman looked like she had at least ten years on me.
"I think I'm his mother," I answered. "And I think you'd better go."
This was my first encounter and last with a cougar! Never did find out exactly what had scared the boys so much that they'd come home early. He's grown now, guess I'll ask him about it!

How about y'all ever had a cougar tracking your son?

10 comments

  1. Judith Keim // May 14, 2009 at 4:58 PM  

    Crazy story. I've got two boys and plenty of girls chased them but no "cougar"...that I know of. LOL!
    Amazing what can happen...and yes ask your son about it! I'm curious, too. :)

  2. Mona Risk // May 14, 2009 at 6:35 PM  

    Your son must have been really scared. I can't believe she chased him all the way to his house.

  3. Toni V.S. // May 14, 2009 at 7:00 PM  

    Since your son was sixteen at the time, I don't know that the woman could be classes as a cougar but perhaps as something much more serious. She really had nerve, confronting you like that. I guess since it was a small town, it was easy for her to find out where he lived. Did you hear of her getting arrested or anything later on?

  4. Mary Marvella // May 14, 2009 at 8:10 PM  

    Scarlet, that was a great story. The "cougar" had some nerve! Maybe the boys lied about their ages? Maybe the woman was a whack job?

  5. Edie Ramer // May 14, 2009 at 9:16 PM  

    Oh my gosh! I'd be curious, too.

  6. Scarlet Pumpernickel // May 14, 2009 at 10:40 PM  

    I will ask him for more details when he is next home. I remember this woman claimed to be visiting our small Georgia town from Florida and said she just wanted to say "Goodbye." I wasn't about to let her anywhere near him. Didn't hear anything else about it. Back then we weren't so aware of child abuse as we are today. If it happened today, I would call the police myself. Will post a follow up on the story when I get the "rest of the story."

  7. Mary Marvella // May 14, 2009 at 10:53 PM  

    Inquiring minds want details.

  8. MAGolla // May 15, 2009 at 8:54 AM  

    Wow, scary critter!

  9. Mary Ricksen // May 15, 2009 at 8:37 PM  

    There are some real nuts in this world. And you have to protect your kids. Its' sad.

  10. Josie // May 17, 2009 at 2:14 PM  

    Wow! Scary stuff out there. My daughter is 14. We're very watchful, especially of the internet.