I am used to the Italian toss and taste way of cooking so here goes.
My grandfather would take at least ten nice flat pieces of top round or sirloin steak sliced very thin and pounded flat with his mallet.
In a bowl he would put about 2/3 cup of grated good romano cheesed
2/3 cup Italian flavored breadcrumbs (he made his own)
1/4 fresh chopped parsley
1/4 pound of good prosciotto, it will come in slices put it in your food processor and chop finely
the same goes for 1/4 cup of pine nuts (chop up fine)
1/4 to 1/2 cup of good raisins (chop up too)
mix up real good and it will make a stuffing, taste for S&P and this is when I add more of this or that to taste.
Place a generous amount on each slice of beef and press flat, roll and stick toothpicks in to keep together.
Brown on all sides in olive oil
set aside
In a large sauce pan place the following;
two cans of Italian plum tomatoes with puree in pan, parsley, one small onion chopped, 1/2 cup of Chianti or more if needed, to taste. squeeze tomatoes with your hands to crush well. Add lots of garlic and a tablespoon of sugar. Stir and simmer, after twenty minutes add browned braciole to sauce and simmer till tender, stir frequently.
Serve over your favorite pasta with lots of good romano cheese and garlic bread.
Mangia.

11 comments

  1. Barbara Monajem // May 23, 2009 at 11:29 PM  

    Ooh, what a lovely recipe. It so happens I have some prosciutto to use up. Thank you!!

  2. Doralynn // May 23, 2009 at 11:59 PM  

    Thanks for the recipe. I love getting new recipes... especially family recipes.

  3. Mary Marvella // May 24, 2009 at 12:03 AM  

    You just made me hungry! That sounds wonderful!

  4. Scarlet Pumpernickel // May 24, 2009 at 12:26 AM  

    Hey Mary,
    Thanks for the recipe! Sounds wonderful! I've been studying Italian and I know what the last word means!

    Scarlet-- who will be enjoying real Italian this time next week!

  5. Anonymous // May 24, 2009 at 10:20 AM  

    Mary,
    This sounds yummy for sure. No calories, I hope! Never had it before but will put in on my must-make list and my sweetie will love me forever.
    Patrice

  6. Edie Ramer // May 24, 2009 at 10:48 AM  

    Sounds delicious!

  7. Donna Marie Rogers // May 24, 2009 at 11:14 AM  

    Sounds yummy, Mary! And hey, I've wanted to try Braciole since that episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where Marie is upset because Debra's braciole is better than hers...LOL

  8. Tamara LeBlanc // May 24, 2009 at 1:33 PM  

    My only comment is YUMMMMM!!!
    Thanks for the recipe and have a great holiday,
    Tamara

  9. Mary Ricksen // May 24, 2009 at 1:47 PM  

    Thanks for the comments everyone, I so appreciate your time.
    I usually make a bunch and freeze it. It's even better after sitting.
    I saw that Raymond episode, it was hilarious. I think I saw them all.
    I just made an Italian cheesecake yesterday, made with ricotta it's sooo good. Now you have a clue why most of us Italians could lose a few pounds!

  10. Helen Hardt // May 24, 2009 at 3:18 PM  

    You made me hungry -- I need to go get a snack now ;).

    Helen

  11. Dayana // May 25, 2009 at 2:20 PM  

    Oh my, Mary! My mouth is watering. That recipe sounds absolutely heavenly. I will be putting the ingredients on my shopping list this week!

    Thank you for posting it. I haven't had Braciole in years.

    Dayana~