Embarrassing Moments

Posted by debjulienne | 12:10 PM | 10 comments »

Have you ever had an embarrassing moment?

Said something that didn't come out quite right?

Maybe had a conversation overheard, that unless you were "in the know"...could be totally taken out of context?

Yeah, well that happened to me too! At work, no less.

One of my former bosses is also an aspiring writer. He's a man I have the utmost respect for. After a considerable amount of cajoling, I finally allowed him to read my work in progress. My biggest fear was that he'd totally hate it and this would ruin our great working relationship.

The only problem is which one? My romantic comedy, Sex, Lies, and Beauty Aids or my romantic suspense "Guilty Until Proven Innocent"? Unable to decide, I printed the first three chapters of both. I knew he had an upcoming business trip to the east coast...I figured I could bore him coming and going.

When he returned, he called and said he wanted me in his office, pronto!

Thinking it was about work and I'd somehow screwed up, I raced to his office. Instead, he invited me in, sat me down and proceeded to ask why neither story was completed.

We talked for about thirty minutes, he offered suggestions on plot, conflict, and problems he could foresee happening. Then he had to head off to a meeting. We walked out together, me heading to the coffee station, happy I wasn't in trouble, him to his meeting. Before we parted, I asked the tough question..."Which did you like best?"

Now here's how this ended....you decide....his response, was so casual...I totally got it..."I love Guilt, but I definitely want more Sex.

That's when "HIS" boss walked by, raised an eyebrow, chuckled and walked away shaking his head.

10 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // May 11, 2009 at 12:26 PM  

    OMIGOD! Bet there were 3 red faces at that moment! Did either of you explain?

  2. Barbara Monajem // May 11, 2009 at 12:29 PM  

    Cracked me up! Funny, but I've just been writing a scene about an embarrassing moment--an imaginary one that has huge consequences. I hope yours had none!

  3. debjulienne // May 11, 2009 at 12:39 PM  

    We didn't get a chance to explain...I still can't look his boss in the face...and no, no consequences except that he still want both stories finished.

  4. Judith Keim // May 11, 2009 at 1:36 PM  

    Great laugh! My face would have been purple, but I would have been laughing! Thanks for sharing...

  5. Edie Ramer // May 11, 2009 at 4:21 PM  

    Hilarious! Hey, a lot of people want more Sex.

  6. Morgan O'Reilly // May 11, 2009 at 6:36 PM  

    I love it! You'll have to find a way to work it into a story.

  7. Rebecca Thomas // May 11, 2009 at 6:45 PM  

    That is a great story. So let me tell you a quick one from years ago when I was a customer service agent for the airlines. You know the ones who board your flights? The announcement my girlfriend was supposed to say was...please have your tickets out and available for me at the door...instead she said...please have your dicks out and available. It's an understandable mistake, right?

  8. Scarlet Pumpernickel // May 11, 2009 at 7:00 PM  

    Laughing and bring attention to myself at this moment in Panera where MM and I are supposed to be working. Reading the fuzzies counts a working, right! Loved your funny story! And I'll add one, that my co-worker committed just last Friday. We were at school and it was storming. The students were asking a lot of silly questions about the weather to get him off task. Would they have to stay at school late if it snowed, if there were a tornado in the area? He answered each question and finally someone looking outside and saw hail falling. What about that? He turned saw the hail and answered without thinking: "Hail, no!"
    Everyone in the room cracked up including the red faced teacher!

    Scarlet

  9. Mary Ricksen // May 11, 2009 at 9:12 PM  

    Well if he walked away without your explaining. What was he thinking?

  10. debjulienne // May 12, 2009 at 10:21 AM  

    I'm known for being a cut up..so I'm hoping--praying...there's bound to be a logical explanation...yeah--I know..you keep thinking that way.