We have a variety of writers and readers here. I always considered myself a writer of romance. Strangely enough, my last two stories have been women's fiction. Since my books aren't published yet, I feel odd calling my "books" books. Well, I'll call them books, anyway.

Women's Fiction books are about issues women face and journeys they experience. They may contain a love story or a mystery or suspense. They may be about younger women or those of us way over forty. Some include characters who span three or more generations. some include more than one subplot, but the main story is about a woman or women at a point of change.

Clear as mud? Let's hope we'll hear from folks with their own interpretations.

The next four books were in my huge to-be-read stacks. I found some real treasures.

Haywood Smith is one of my favorite women's fiction writers. She deals with infidelity, aging parents, problems with a woman and her adult children. Her Red Had Club books are about a Georgia woman and her friends. If you enjoy southern fiction, give her books a try. The latest is Wedding Belles (St Martin's Press, 2008).

Beverly Brandt also has a wonderful book called The Tiara Club, (St Martin's Press, 2005). Again there are friends, most of whom are local beauty queens. Corny? Nah. Shallow. Nope. This story deals with the complicated relationship Georgia has with her mama and her friends. There is a hunky guy, by the way. The story contains suspense and tons of fun.

Barking Goats and the Redneck Mafia by Dolores J. Wilson (Medallion Press, 2006) kept me in stitches. The protagonist, Bertie Byrd owns Bertie's Garage and Towing. This book, part of a mystery series, has wonderfully emotional moments and characters so bizarre you'll laugh out loud.

Jill Marie Landis grabbed my heart with Lover's Lane (Ballantine Books, 2003) Carley Nolan has worked hard to build a life for herself and her young son, Christopher. Her life changes when a detective is determined to find her.

What are you reading and loving?

8 comments

  1. Edie Ramer // May 31, 2009 at 8:44 AM  

    Mary, of course you can call your unpublished mss. books. That's what I call mine.

    You would love The Lost Recipe for Happiness by Barbara O'Neal, aka Barbara Samuel and Ruth Wind. She's one of my favorite authors, and it's my favorite book of hers, so that's saying a lot.

    I'm reading Last Vampire Standing by Nancy Haddock and I'm enjoying it a lot.

  2. Mary Marvella // May 31, 2009 at 1:01 PM  

    Hey, Edie! Thanks for the suggestion. I adored Deborah Smith's mermaid books and will read Barbara Samuel and Karen White every chance I get.

  3. Nightingale // May 31, 2009 at 3:27 PM  

    I'm enjoying reading Sebastian by Anne Bishop. I picked up the book because Deb Smith at Belle Books said that was the kind of book they were looking for. It's a good book -- dark fantasy with sensual highlights.

  4. Mary Marvella // May 31, 2009 at 4:01 PM  

    I like that you're reading something recommended by an editor.

  5. Mary Ricksen // May 31, 2009 at 7:32 PM  

    I read every thing I get my hands on. I read the Reader's Digest from cover to cover. I read a lot of romance, just read Fiona, by P.L. Parker, Knock Off, by Rhonda Pollero, Lost In Paradise, by Allie Bonniface. I read a lot of books that I win in contests. I enter praying to win, money is real tight. And friends will sometimes give me their book and I will willingly give them mine, (if they want it). I even read directions! My advise, is read everything. You could learn something!
    Well my brain is the only part of my body that still functions for the most part.

  6. Mona Risk // May 31, 2009 at 9:57 PM  

    I have a whole shelf of books TBR, and a thick folder of ebooks TBR before. I do most of my reading during vacation, or late at night when I'm too tired to write my own books.

  7. Mary Marvella // May 31, 2009 at 10:12 PM  

    Mary R. I must have something to read at all times. I read magazines from cover to cover and I have tons of to- be read books.

    Isn't it wonderful we can read?

  8. Mary Marvella // May 31, 2009 at 10:14 PM  

    Mona, you are rather busy these days.
    When I taught school I read nothing that wasn't part of a lesson I had to teach.

    Now I can't get enough reading for pleasure. I meant to say research.