Holidays are a time for family and friends, but with all we have to do it seems there is little time left over to spend with the family and friends. Let me share my philosophy, which might help relieve the stress your feeling. Your family and friends will never know or notice what you didn’t get done. They will only see all that you did do.

So this year, I’m baking a limited amount of Christmas cookies and not the piles I normally do. There are always so many left over and I’m the one who tries to eat as many as I can before feeding the rest to the birds and deer. I don't need or have time to spend extra minutes on the treadmill.



Everyone will get one wrapped gift this year, so they get that feeling of opening a surprise package but the rest of the gifts are going into bags or are card gifts.

Christmas breakfast will be a crockpot filled with cream chipped beef which can be made the day before. Christmas dinner will not be the sit down dinner that Thanksgiving was, but trays of lasagna which I also will make the day before. I'm using throw away trays mind you. WINK And, desert will be cookies, chocolates, fruit and maybe a pie or two.

Am I being lazy. No. My whole family isn't able to get together very often. Life is too busy for us all. I don't want to spend it in the kitchen. I'd rather enjoy them. Memories are made when you're together, not over the internet.

So do you have any time-saving hints or recipes for this holiday?

6 comments

  1. Mary Ricksen // December 13, 2013 at 12:38 PM  

    For me the best gifts are from the heart. And time saved with all the work involved, is more time for loved ones, I totally agree!!! Have a great Christmas everyone!!

  2. Autumn Jordon // December 13, 2013 at 2:28 PM  

    Exactly, Mary. I love getting handmade items. Cookies are good. Jams are better. You have a wonderful holiday too!

  3. Scarlet Pumpernickel // December 14, 2013 at 12:35 AM  

    Autumn, you are right this is definitely a busy time of year. We have one week of school left and then the holiday is open for visiting, cooking, shopping and just resting. I can't wait. I cooked my mother's recipe for fresh coconut cake at Thanksgiving. I might cook another of her recipes, because I am beginning to feel a little more Christmas Spirit.

  4. Autumn Jordon // December 14, 2013 at 9:36 AM  

    That sounds like a great idea. I was just thinking that no one makes carrot cake like my mother did. I should look for her recipe.

    Have a happy, restful holiday.

  5. Beth Trissel // December 14, 2013 at 8:24 PM  

    I really need this. Thanks!

  6. Autumn Jordon // December 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM  

    You're welcome, Beth.