One of my favorite memories of making Christmas candy goes back to 1974. My BFF Vickie Pascuzzi and I got together for the first time to make candy.

We’d just come home from getting Chinese food for lunch, had filled our plates, and had started to make peanuts clusters.

The chocolate was melted and I was mid-bite when out of nowhere she launched a handful of hard crunchy chow mien noodles at me…most of it missed and landed in the melted chocolate. So naturally I had to retaliate. I grabbed a handful of peanuts and lobbed them at her. A few landed in the chocolate as well. Hey, no one ever said 15 years old girls had great aim.

We laughed, threw a few more then decided we better dig out the noodles and nuts before it hardened and we ruined the chocolate. We dug out scoopfuls and put them on some foil and finished our lunch. Before we finished eating the hardened candy was calling us. It was delicious and a new candy was born. I’ve been making these ever since. I can't look at them without seeing the mess we made. I may have to set up a play dated with her. (wink, wink)

Ingredients:
1 package dipping chocolate (I like Palmer brand, 20oz bar)
1 package crunch Chinese noodles (find them in your international aisle at the grocery store)
1 (12 oz) can your favorite nuts. (I like regular old Planters lightly salted cocktail peanuts for this one, for the salty/sweet flavor, but have used roasted peanuts, cashews, and even mixed nuts)

Directions:
Melt chocolate in large microwaveable bowl, at 30 second intervals usually takes 1-1/2 to 2 minutes total. (DO NOT SET MICROWAVE FOR 2 MINUTES STRAIGHT!!!)
Pour in noodles.
Pour in nuts.
Mix thoroughly.
Drop 1 Tablespoon full on foil covered cookie sheet.
Makes 2 cookies sheets worth.
Let set before putting in container.
If you’re in a warm climate, put in the fridge for 30 minutes.

I can’t make these and eat them without laughing and becoming 15 again.

Happy food fight to you, you never know what will happen.
deb

6 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // December 12, 2013 at 7:43 PM  

    Mama made something like this with peanut butter or butterscotch, I think. We loved it.

  2. Mary Ricksen // December 13, 2013 at 12:36 PM  

    Oh yummy!!!!!

  3. debjulienne // December 13, 2013 at 7:27 PM  

    Mama Mary, yes, I've added a bit of butterscotch to my recipe as well with I'm in the mood...never tried the peanut butter, but I bet it's good.

  4. debjulienne // December 13, 2013 at 7:28 PM  

    Mary R...oh yeah!

  5. Scarlet Pumpernickel // December 14, 2013 at 12:36 AM  

    I want one of these. Nope, can't have it, but I can dream. One little piece wouldn't hurt, would it?

  6. debjulienne // December 16, 2013 at 7:00 PM  

    Scarlet...do what I do...I can't eat much chocolate...butI make a batch then share and save a piece or two for myself.