Every childhood Christmas memory I have and hold sacred is of being in the kitchen, helping my mom make cookies, candy, and the ever dreaded fruitcake. When I was old enough to make them on my own I started trying variations. Mom liked the straight foreward recipe, not me...I had to make my own. Whether it was using dark chocolate or white chocolate instead of milk chocolate, or adding spices and extracts. Now I just add booze...and before anyone decides to slam me with negativity, by the time it's done cooking, the alcohol has boiled out.

I'll be starting my Christmas baking soon, on the top of my list is always the fudge. The holidays aren't the same without it.

When it comes to fudge, this is the best recipe I’ve ever tasted. There is one downfall, it doesn’t last. I usually end up making 3 batches per season just for my family.

Ingredients:
2 packages, milk chocolate chips (12 oz. each)
1 packages, semisweet chocolate chips (12 oz. each)
2 jars marshmallow cream (7 oz. each)
2/3 cup Saint Brendan’s® Irish Cream Liqueur
2 cups chopped nuts (Walnuts or Pecans)
4-1/2 cups sugar
1 can evaporated milk (12 oz.)
½ lb. butter Line a 10” x 15” pan with foil and grease lightly with butter.

Combine chocolate chips, marshmallow cream, Saint Brendan’s® and nuts in a large bowl and set aside.

Combine sugar, evaporated milk and butter in a medium, heavy saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 11 minutes, stirring constantly.

Pour milk mixture over chocolate chip mixture and stir slowly by hand. Pour into prepared pan. Chill until set.

Enjoy!

11 comments

  1. Unknown // December 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM  

    Sooo trying this Deb! Love ya!

  2. Mary Marvella // December 3, 2013 at 2:13 PM  

    YUM! Whimper! NEED! Thanks.

  3. Barbara Monajem // December 3, 2013 at 5:17 PM  

    I will save the recipe. I will not make any fudge just for me. I will control myself...

    I adore fruitcakes. I'm going to try making a sort of plum pudding when the suet (the veggie kind) I ordered gets here (probably long after the holidays, since it's coming from the UK). Then I'm going to ration it bit by bit all year long...

  4. Scarlet Pumpernickel // December 3, 2013 at 9:32 PM  

    If I make this and take it to school, I won't get to eat it all. I'll have plenty of help. But I will get at least one piece! Sounds delicious.

  5. Mary Ricksen // December 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM  

    How do I make the maple nut one??

  6. debjulienne // December 10, 2013 at 10:36 AM  

    Christine, this is a new recipe from the one I share with you guys as kids...it's even better!

  7. debjulienne // December 10, 2013 at 10:37 AM  

    Mama Mary, I promise you'll love this recipe.

  8. debjulienne // December 10, 2013 at 10:39 AM  

    I've only been able to get down one fruitcake and it's my friend Paisley Kirkpatrick's recipe...if you have a good one, please send.

  9. debjulienne // December 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM  

    Scarlet, that's how I have to do it too, I don't make the recipe for us until I know everyone will be around, so I don't make myself sick.

  10. debjulienne // December 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM  

    Mary R, I'll search my files...I thnk I have one and can figure out the conversion...I'll get back to you.

  11. debjulienne // December 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM  

    Mary R, try this one..it's in my files...use the heavy cream it gives a better texture:
    http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/dessert/candy/maple-nut-fudge.html