English Toffee is one of those things that everyone has a particular preference for. Thick Toffee vs thin Toffee, blanched almonds vs regular, chocolate on one side vs chocolate on both. I like my Toffee thin, blanche almonds, chocolate on both side and it's even better when the toffee is in Heath Bar Crunch Ice Cream. Yeah, I hear those sighs.

I received a box of English Toffee from my friend, Jennifer Kost, in my freshman year of high school (1972) along with this recipe. It is my opinion that this is the best recipe I have in my recipe box. I have made it every year since.

We've long since grown up, married, had kids, but we still keep in touch. I don't know why she and I never played in the kitchen, but one of these days, I think I may just surprise her and do just that.

Hey Jen, don't be surprised if I show up on your door and make you play in the kitchen with me. It's on my bucket list!

Ingredients:

1 cube butter
1/2 cup almonds, finely chopped
2/3 cup sugar
1-1/2 Tablespoon water
2 Tablespoons corn syrup

Frosting:

1 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup chopped almonds (divided)

In a heavy pot, cook first five ingredients (butter, nuts, sugar, water, corn syrup) to 290 degrees (hard ball).
Pour into a foil lined cookie sheet.
Using a rolling pin roll thin, to about 1/8” thick and let harden.
In a microwavable bowl, melt chips, as 30 second intervals, until melted.
Frost immediately and sprinkle 1/8 cup of nuts on top.
Let chocolate harden, flip, repeat on the other side.
Break apart when chocolate sets.

Enjoy!

Deb

6 comments

  1. Anonymous // December 19, 2013 at 2:31 PM  

    Another keeper! I've never tried to make this and will have to give it a try. More importantly, I will share the recipe with my daughter and friends who love to cook!

    MJ Flournoy

  2. debjulienne // December 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM  

    MJ, you'll love it...super easy to make and always perfect, never EVER had a problem making it...

  3. Mary Ricksen // December 20, 2013 at 12:03 PM  

    Oh you evil woman you!! Yum....

  4. Mary Marvella // December 20, 2013 at 5:59 PM  

    Whine, sigh! I sooo do not need this, but I sooooo want it!

  5. Beth Trissel // December 22, 2013 at 10:14 AM  

    Thanks for sharing, Deb.

  6. debjulienne // December 31, 2013 at 12:23 PM  

    Mary, I'll let you in on a secret, I dont need it either, so I only make it when I know I'm giving it away. Hubby is diabetic, so I make a batch, we each get one piece and the rest goes...win/win situation. I've made all these sweets and not gained a pound, and my sweet tooth is appeased.