If you’re on the look-out for an easy to make gift, here is a delicious treat that goes back to when I was a kid in elementary school.

It’s very versatile and you can choose any variety of nuts to mix and mingle.

There were four of us kids and every year mom would make Cinnamon Spiced Nuts and put them in glass jars which would be our Christmas present to our teacher. Mom never wavered from her recipe. I, however, am a nut lover, I make a separate batch of each of the four nuts listed below.

The dollar store is a great place to pick up jars to hold these babies, or pick up a fancy jar and be creative.

Ingredients:

1 cup Sugar
1/8 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
2 cups nuts (Almond, Walnuts, Pecans, Cashews…anything you like)

Cook to soft ball stage.

Add 2 cups walnuts. Stir until nuts are well coated and fall apart.

Once nuts have been added you need to keep them moving. By keeping them moving air helps separate them. Do not make if you don’t have the time to concentrate on stirring…it doesn’t take long at all, but you do need to pay attention. Once they’re separated pour out onto a cookie sheet pan to cool.

In my opinion the Cashews are the best. And this recipe is easily doubled, no problem.

I’d love to hear from you after you make them, let me know what you think.

Deb

11 comments

  1. Unknown // December 5, 2013 at 2:45 PM  

    Oh Deb- that sounds delicious. It reminds me of the holiday nut houses that pop up in shopping centers. I make spicy pecans, but they are more savory than sweet. I'm going to give these a try. Thanks!

  2. debjulienne // December 5, 2013 at 6:41 PM  

    Super easy to make and you have to try them when they are hot...TO DIE FOR...Cashew heaven for me.

  3. Beth Trissel // December 6, 2013 at 9:16 AM  

    This does sound really good. My challenge with severe gluten intolerance is finding gluten free nuts, oddly most have been exposed to gluten, and then making other adjustments in recipes.

  4. Mary Ricksen // December 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM  

    Yum!

  5. Scarlet Pumpernickel // December 6, 2013 at 8:09 PM  

    Deb,
    I am going to try these! They sound so good! I've got a big bag of Almonds and I think I've got everything else in the cabinet! Thanks for sharing.

  6. Mary Marvella // December 6, 2013 at 9:09 PM  

    NICE! I know I would love this one!

  7. Autumn Jordon // December 10, 2013 at 9:36 AM  

    They sound yummy and what a nice memory. I'm going to give them a try.

  8. debjulienne // December 10, 2013 at 10:31 AM  

    Beth, we use to buy a 25 lb bag of walnuts as soon as close to Thanksgiving, once that prep was done, we sat at the table and shelled the whole blooming bag and froze the nuts. We kept perfect halves in one bag and pieces in another.

  9. debjulienne // December 10, 2013 at 10:32 AM  

    Mary, Just wait until you try them...ADDICTIVE. I gave some to a neighbor once and he came back for seconds and the recipe...

  10. debjulienne // December 10, 2013 at 10:33 AM  

    Scarlett, you'll love the almonds. We went to Cabela's in Reno one year just before Christmas, walking in the door they were the first thing you smelled, I gravitated right to them. They make the on the spot...but I'll tell you a secret...this recipe is better...and so much cheaper!

  11. debjulienne // December 10, 2013 at 10:34 AM  

    Mary and Autumn you have to try these...they'll go on your Christmas list once you do. My list stays the same...I only make the family favorites...and these are them.