Welcome Silver James author of Fairytales Can Come True

Posted by Scarlet Pumpernickel | 5:20 PM | 20 comments »

First, let me apologize to our guest! I read the calendar wrong and thought she would visit tomorrow. Luckily, I found her sitting patiently outside the door waiting to visit with us!

Today we welcome Silver James who comes to tell us about her wonderful class of '85 story. Everyone please welcome Silver. G'morning, everyone. It's a real pleasure to be here at Pink Fuzzy Slippers. *shows feet encased in Killer Bunny slippers* The joy of being a writer is I can get up, pour my coffee *holds up 20 oz. thermal mug* and go to work in my jammies. Some days I wish I wore really sexy peignoir sets with feathered trim and those matching high-heeled slippers like the movie stars wore back in the forties and fifties. But I'm all about being comfortable. Get some coffee or whatever your drink of choice, have a seat, and let's visit. As Scarlet mentioned, I'm Silver James. I normally write paranormal so when the characters of FAIRY TALES CAN COME TRUE sat down in my office, I was shocked! Not a paranormal element anywhere. Who knew I could write contemporary? *laugh* Obviously, Kathy Cottrell, the editor of the Class of '85 Reunion Series, since she bought FAIRY TALES.

Did I mention that I talk to the imaginary people who live in my head? Driving down the street. Sitting in my office. Walking my dogs. I don't talk to them “in” my head—I talk to them out loud. Much to the amusement of my family. I still remember two little friends who came to play with The Only when she was small. After they peeked into my office, they asked her who I was talking to. “Oh,” she replied quite matter-of-factly. “Those are the people who live in her head.” Imagine my surprise when I ended up sitting alone at the next PTA meeting. I had to explain I was a writer and I often “wrote” dialogue by speaking it out loud. I didn't mention that I changed my voice to match the character. *looks shifty eyed*

I'm lucky in that I have a dedicated “writer's cave” where I can hole up, with my two Newfoundland dogs and the lolcat who rules us all underfoot or on keyboard. Luckily, the back door is nearby, though getting up to let them in and out is the only exercise I get some days. Luckily, The Only is in college now and housetrained. (She can feed herself and do laundry when she runs out of underwear—though I did buy her a month's worth so that would be a problem around deadlines.)

So, you want to know about my writing process? A character will appear, pull up an imaginary chair, and start talking to me. I'll visit off and on, asking a lot of “what if?” questions and eventually, the first character introduces me to others and the story evolves.

Wait a minute!!! What am I, chopped liver?

I knew Iffy would show up sooner or later. Allow me to introduce my Muse. Iffy, meet the ladies of the Pink Fuzzy Slippers and readers. Iffy is in charge of writer's block, procrastination, and interviewing characters once their book is released. As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted, *glares at Iffy* the story starts to flow and I can sit at the computer to record it. FAIRY TALES was lots of fun to write, thanks to Toby, who is the assistant to my heroine, Alex. I love Deke, the hero, too. Here's the blurb just to tease y'all:

Going home for her 25th class reunion isn't on Alex London's radar until her assistant pulls out the fairy godmother card. News correspondent, Deke Carpenter would rather cover the nearest war than attend the reunion--yet deep down he hopes to encounter the girl who got away, Dorothy Reagan, now well-known fashion photographer, Alex London.
Alex, on the other hand, has hopes of seeing the boy she carried a torch for all these years--basketball player Marty Keegan.
In one whirlwind weekend, surrounded by the ghosts of high school past, Alex and Deke discover each other and the unwritten rule of fairy godmothers everywhere: Fairy Tales Can Come True
You can check out an excerpt http://www.blogger.com/%3Ca%20href="target=_new">HERE(and even order it. :D ) I'm ready to drink coffee and visit. What are y'all reading? Do you have a Book Boyfriend™? Dish the details! Just don't forget I'm wearing my writer's tee shirt. You know the one that says, OH, THIS IS SO GOING INTO MY NEXT NOVEL!

BIO:
With a rampant imagination aided and abetted by a Muse who runs with scissors, Silver James loves to share the stories created in that vast comic void pretending to be her mind. Over the course of her lifetime, she's been a military officer's wife, mother, state appellate court marshal, airport rescue firefighter and forensic fire photographer, crime analyst, technical crime scene investigator, and writer. Retired from the “real world” now, she lives in Oklahoma and spends her days at the computer with her two Newfoundland dogs, the cat who rules them all, and myriad characters all clamoring for attention. To find out more about Silver, visit her at http://www.silverjames.com/

20 comments

  1. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 25, 2010 at 5:51 PM  

    Silver what a fantastic blog! Thanks so much for visiting with us today. I am so sorry I kept you sitting out on the deck! I hope you enjoyed the warm Georgia sun. Did you notice the fairy circle on the far side of the yard, near the clover? I love your story, everyone should have a fairy godmother, shouldn't they. Thanks for introducing us to Iffy.

  2. Mary Marvella // September 25, 2010 at 5:57 PM  

    Hey, Ho, Silver! Sorry, I couldn't resist! Glad you're here with your "friends" . The voices inside my head keep me smiling most of the time.

    I can't wait to learn more about your story.

  3. kathy cottrell // September 25, 2010 at 6:01 PM  

    hi, silver
    i'm typing with my left hand so bear with me.
    you are a joy to work with and a pleasure to know
    kathy

  4. Pamela Varnado // September 25, 2010 at 6:30 PM  

    Welcome Silver. I agree, characters do speak. I remember my first session with my critique partner, Mary. She told me that her characters talked to her. Talked to her-I thought she was insane. My characters never said a word to me. It was only after I started to learn my craft that my characters spoke to me. Before then they were faceless people that moved about in my mind. Now I know everything about them. I finally get it!!

  5. Jannine Gallant // September 25, 2010 at 6:54 PM  

    Hi Silver,

    Great blog! I loved Fairy Tales, especially Toby. We should all have a Toby in our lives to give us a kick in the pants for our own good!

    Next time I have writer's block, I'm going to see if my characters can "talk" me through it.

  6. Mary Marvella // September 25, 2010 at 6:58 PM  

    Silver, I won Pam over to the dark side! Heh, heh!

  7. Silver James // September 25, 2010 at 9:20 PM  

    Good evening, everyone! I should note that I'm still in those bunny slippers. They drive the dogs nuts. :D

    Sorry to be so long in replying. I actually ducked out to my RWA Chapter's retreat. Food, drinks, and great camaraderie! Gee...a lot like y'all here at Pink Fuzzies!

    Anyone who is interested in FAIRY TALES or my other books, you can check out my author page at Wild Rose: http://www.thewildrosepress.com/silver-james-m-674.html

    Working on the Reunion stories has been a blast and I still have two characters chatting over in the corner as they wait patiently for me to tell their reunion story. Thanks, all of you for dropping by to say hi! And Scarlet, I loved sitting on the deck waiting. I had coffee, sunshine, and some Class of '85 stories to keep me occupied. ;)

  8. Patrice // September 26, 2010 at 7:58 AM  

    Silver,
    What an entertaining blog, and great story you came up with for TWRP line. Good job, and best of luck on many sales.

  9. Rachel Brimble // September 26, 2010 at 10:15 AM  

    Great post, Silver - the way your characters come to you is exactly the same for me! Usually doing the mundane like ironing, walking the dog, washing my hair and then BAM! there they are talking and I run for a pen and paper, LOL!

    I have downloaded a copy of your story but not started it yet - I will be sure to let you know how much i loved it! I ADORE the cover.

    Rachel x
    www.rachelbrimble.com

  10. Nightingale // September 26, 2010 at 10:27 AM  

    Great blog. Welcome to the PFS.

  11. Silver James // September 26, 2010 at 11:39 AM  

    I'm back this morning to say hi. Let's see...coffee? Check. Fuzzy Killer Rabbit slippers? Check. Cool fall temperatures outside? PRICELESS!

    For all that we have different processes, I find it amazing that writers all sort of work the same way. Intriguing, Rachel. (And I'm so glad I'm not the only one who listens to the voices in my head!) Patrice and Nightingale, thanks for dropping by today. Such a great group here at PFS! Thanks, everyone for making me feel welcome.

  12. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 26, 2010 at 12:31 PM  

    Characters in your head huh? Doesn't everyone? Once when I was working on an historical that was going no where, the hero stood in the doorway of my office with his arms crossed over his chest and legs crossed at his ankles, leaning against the door frame. He refused to allow my story to advance. He was my block. When I asked him why he'd withdrawn from my story and refused to talk to me, he replied: Talk to you? You,my dear, don't even know my name! Really I responded, then what is your name? Jonathan, he responded. I hit find and replace, he instantly became Jonathan and the plot took off from there. How I wish all blocks were so easily overcome.

    Now silver tell us something about your fairy books.

  13. Judith Keim // September 26, 2010 at 1:20 PM  

    Welcome, Silver! I, like you, do believe fairy tales can come true, though sometimes it sure does take a long time to come even close! LOL Your story sounds wonderful! Good luck with it!

  14. Mary Marvella // September 26, 2010 at 2:59 PM  

    Glad you're back, Silver. My characters come to me with names and histories. They will lie about their motivations and real goals sometimes.

  15. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 26, 2010 at 3:09 PM  

    LOL MM, you characters lie to you? Who would have ever thought they'd lie to you? Mine often argue among themselves or me.

    Still want to hear about the faires that Silver is famous for, how about it Silver?

    I am now the happen owner of all the class of 85 stories released thus far. Ladies these are really good reads you have to get them.

  16. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 26, 2010 at 3:32 PM  

    Oops! That's happy owner.

  17. Silver James // September 26, 2010 at 6:49 PM  

    Ha! Don't know if I'm famous for them but Abhean, the faerie harper, and Manannan Mac Lir, the faerie king of Tir Nan Og, spend a lot of time feuding when I'm writing the FAERIE books. Abhean always wants to muck about in the lives of the couples he's taken a fancy to and the king wants him to keep hands off. Luckily, he doesn't and arranges for Becca and Ciaran to find each other again in FAERIE FATE and for Moira and Duncan to work out the "bad karma" from their former life together in FAERIE FIRE. I loved writing both these books and I currently have FAERIE FOOL, the third book (about Ciaran's cousin, Riordan) on the drawing board.

  18. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 26, 2010 at 7:47 PM  

    I'm definitely going to add these to my ereader. I have two ms that have fairies. One set in Scottland with an imprisoned hero that has been in limbo for hundreds of years and a second set on this side of the pond with the queen imprisoned in a statue. The first is a time-travel and the second is a time of reckoning type of story.

    I love stories with the fairy folk.

  19. Josie // September 26, 2010 at 8:46 PM  

    Silver,
    A sincere welcome for visiting the Pink Fuzzy Slipper Blog, and thank you, Scarlett, for hosting her.

    You have a very witty voice, and I enjoyed your post.
    BTW, MM, you are hilarious.

  20. Silver James // September 26, 2010 at 9:05 PM  

    You ladies absolutely rock. Just sayin'. Iffy even offered to share her chocolate. This is a BIT deal. :D

    Thanks so much for hosting me. I've enjoyed my time here. There's always a light in the window over on Penumbra so stop by, say hi, and if I can ever reciprocate, just ask!