We have a Trans-Atlantic treat today on the Fuzzies. A visit from across the pond by Class of '85 author, Rachel Brimble. I've arranged to ply her with questions about her writing and I'm anxious to read her responses.

Everyone please join me in giving a great big fuzzy welcome to Rachael.

1) How many books have you published?

I have had four novels and one novella published so far although I do have another novel due for release in January 2011. I write across the sub-genres of romance so I have two romantic suspense, one romantic comedy, and one historical published in novel-length, and my novella is the main reason for me being here today - it is Transatlantic Loving and part of the Class of ’85 series from The Wild Rose Press, yay!

2) How do you write with kids and deadlines?

With difficulty! 2010 was a great year for me with two novels and novella being released but I know 2011 is unlikely to be so productive. As well as having two kids to deal with, I have started working part-time this year when I was lucky enough to be at home full-time last year. My output has hugely decreased and my promotion has kind of gone through the roof! I wonder sometimes if I’ve got the balance right…

3) What are you writing now?

I am a quarter the way through the first draft of my second historical, and I totally love it! I am madly in love with my hero who is a good-hearted ‘artful dodger’ type living in Victorian Bath, England – I promise you, ladies…he’s irresistible.
I’m estimating this novel to fall at about 80,000 words and hope to have it done by Christmas. It would be great to land a home for it in the New Year!

4) Why do you write?

Because I have to! It’s a compulsion, a passion. I am cranky if I don’t, my family tell me to go away and find my laptop when they’ve had enough of my moods, LOL!

5) How do you get over writer’s block?

I have honestly never had it. I have LOADS of characters and story ideas rambling around in my head as well as two novels partially written and shelved, and a file on my Mac with notes to four more. I have enough work to do for the next five years at least! The problem is actually finding the time to get the stories written.
Having said that, it doesn’t mean I don’t have days when writing 500 words is like pulling 500 teeth out of my mouth!

6) Who is your favorite author to read? Favorite book?

OK, I have three favorites so I’ll list them all:

Nora Roberts for romance – love all her work but favorites are Montana Sky & Northern Lights (bearing in mind I am not even a third way through her backlist!)

Jodi Picoult – Drama – Plain Truth & My Sister’s Keeper

Philippa Gregory – Historical – The entire Tudor series

7) What’s next for you?

As I mentioned earlier, my next novel is due for release in January 2011 from Lyrical Press and it’s called Getting It Right This Time. It’s a contemporary romance about a mother’s protective love and second chances at happiness. It is my first book with this publisher and I have loved working with them so can’t wait to see the finished product!

OK, so that’s me interviewed, I really enjoyed it and would love to leave you with an excerpt from my offering to The Class of ’85 series – Transatlantic Loving, enjoy!

“Hi there, Madonna. What can I get you?”
Lisa turned, tipped her head back. And took a breath. Holy mother of==
His eyes were the color of the fields at the back of her house in high summer==emerald, dotted with hints of lime. Once her heart kicked back into place, she smiled. “A white wine would be great.”
“Coming right up. And your friend?”
Lisa stared at him. “My . . . ?”
Courtney nudged her in the ribs. “Friend. Me. Remember?”
Lisa snapped her head round to find Courtney staring back at her with eyes alive with mischief. “Did something or someone distract you from remembering I am here?” Smiling, she turned back to the hunk of burning love behind the bar. “I’ll have a glass of white wine too, please.”
His smile revealed perfect teeth except for the slight turn of one that Lisa had the sudden urge to lick. She pulled her shoulders back so fast they clicked in indignation. What the hell was she thinking? Since when did she want to lick men’s teeth? Clearing her throat, she focused on what Courtney was saying.
“So, you’re still here. What’s that all about? Scared to leave Summerville High and go out into the big bad world?”
The bar tender's smile stretched to a grin as he topped off their glasses before holding them out. “I teach here now. Physical Education. But before that, I spent five years in the UK. Biddestone to be exact.”
When Courtney turned, drinks in hand, the mischief in her eyes darkened to almost manic proportions as she wiggled her eyebrows and shoved a glass into Lisa’s newly clammy palm. “Well, now. The man lived right around the corner from you.”
Smile frozen in place, she glared at Courtney, certain she likely looked like Madonna high on LSD rather than the sex-bomb she’d being aiming for when she’d left the house. She took a sip of her wine and met his eyes once more. Phenomenal. Absolutely phenomenal.

www.rachelbrimble.com

19 comments

  1. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 27, 2010 at 1:01 AM  

    We're so pleased to have you visit today! I took the liberty of adding a few of your other covers to the blog. Great interview, you make me look like a good interviewer. You also said the magic word to make our blog Mommie happy! She's a Mac devotee through and through. MM will be by shortly to exchange Mac praise I'm sure. Scarlet sometimes covets MM's Mac when her PC is acting up which it does frequently.

    Welcome to the blog, have some chocolate, pour yourself a cup of tea and let the chat begin.

  2. Mary Marvella // September 27, 2010 at 1:18 AM  

    A Mac person? Awesome! I am so glad you're here. Good morning.

    Scarlet brings us the best guests.

  3. Rachel Brimble // September 27, 2010 at 5:55 AM  

    LOL! I only bought my Mac a few weeks ago and don't know how I lived without it before! No viruses, no reboots, I am totally in love with it!

    It's great to be here and thank you for adding more book covers, I didn't expect that at all. Looking forward to chatting.

    x

  4. Judith Keim // September 27, 2010 at 8:39 AM  

    Nice to have you here today. It sounds like you a very, very busy but in a wonderfully productive way. Congratulations on all your books. Your contribution to the Reunion Series sounds charming. Good luck with it!

  5. Donna L Bolk // September 27, 2010 at 9:38 AM  

    Transatlantic Loving sounds like another great read. Take care, Donna

  6. Autumn Jordon // September 27, 2010 at 10:09 AM  

    Hi, Rachael. Welcome to the PFS. You know I'm a fan. Congrats on your newest release.

    I too find it hard to find balance between my writing and life. Have you found anything-method which has helped you?

    AJ

  7. Jannine Gallant // September 27, 2010 at 10:44 AM  

    Hi Rachel,

    Isn't it the truth - finding time to write is the biggest challenge! I can't wait to read your contribution to the series.

  8. Rachel Brimble // September 27, 2010 at 10:45 AM  

    Thanks for the good luck wishes, Judy - I am nervous about this one, having read the first three (so far!) in the series, I am kind of worried about letting down readers that are following the books. All of the stories have been fantastic!

    HI Donna - always one of my favorite people to visit with! Your comments about "Lily' will never leave me, I swear, LOL!

    AJ - Methods to help with the madness?? That would be a big fat NO!! Right now, I am typing this while grabbing five minutes in between emptying the dishwasher and loading the dryer. Once I have made the kids the cups of tea they are screaming for while watching Hannah Montana at full voiume, I am going to try and sneak in another hour before they start shouting for their dinner.
    My method - at least try to get through the day without putting the laptop in the oven or hanging one of the kids on the washing line!!

    x

  9. Mary Ricksen // September 27, 2010 at 2:14 PM  

    Hi Rachel!!! What a great blog today.
    Welcome and I think your excerpt got me!!! You never get writer's block, man are you lucky. Or rather a fantastic author!
    Scarlet you are a good interviewer. Oh and pass the chocolate please!

  10. Rachel Brimble // September 27, 2010 at 2:29 PM  

    Hi Jannine & Mary!

    Thanks for stopping by today.

    Janinne, I forgot to say that I am reading Lonely Road To You around my writing and everything else right now. I am on page 44 and loving it! Tyler is just my sort of hero, kind, tough and so quietly sexy...

    Glad the excerpt grabbed you, Mary! I am really looking forward to Transatlanic's launch on Wednesday.

    It's nearing 7.30 in the evening here in the UK so I may have to catch up on more comments tomorrow if I can't grab anymore 'me' time, I hope that's OK??

    Rachel x

  11. Autumn Jordon // September 27, 2010 at 4:30 PM  

    Too Funny, Rachael, but sadly I know where you're coming from. Remember to take care of you too.

  12. kathy cottrell // September 27, 2010 at 6:36 PM  

    Hi, Rachel,
    very interesting blog. I'm so glad you hopped on board.
    Kathy

  13. Pamela Varnado // September 28, 2010 at 12:24 AM  

    Welcome Rachel. Like you, I find balancing my personal life and writing career a challenge. But I know that if I want to "be happy" I have to make room for both of them. Doing one without the other would be like eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without the jelly. It would leave me dissatisfied.

  14. Nightingale // September 28, 2010 at 9:45 AM  

    Rachel, I want to order a drink from your irresistable bartender! Fantastic excerpt.

  15. Rachel Brimble // September 28, 2010 at 10:54 AM  

    Kathy, I am so glad you like my story enough to want to publish it! You were the light at the end of particularly dark tunnel at that time - you asked me for revisions one day and the next we lost everything in the French floods, remember? It was horrendous!

    Hi Pamela (waving!) - nice to see you here! My 'me' time often involves wine and TV. Not the healthiest, but enjoyable all the same, LOL!

    So glad you like the excerpt, Nightingale! I must say sexy coach Aaron Taylor is a little hot to handle and he can be all yours from tomorrow, hint, hint!! ; )

    Great spending time here, guys - bye for now!

    Rachel x
    www.rachelbrimble.com

  16. Jana Richards // September 28, 2010 at 6:50 PM  

    Hi Rachel,
    You had me at "Holy mother of==".

    I've read two in the series so far and have downloaded another four. All I need now is some time to read. And write.

    Love the excerpt, Rachel. I'm looking forward to reading Transatlantic Loving. I wish you much success with it.

    Jana

  17. Sherry Gloag // September 29, 2010 at 8:40 AM  

    I'm late to the party, but Rachel I loved your excerpt, and enjoyed your interview.
    How did you manage to transfer your files from Windows to Mac? I'm glad you like it. My son swears by his.

  18. Stacy Dawn // September 29, 2010 at 8:43 AM  

    Awesome! Congratulations Rachel!!

  19. Josie // September 29, 2010 at 8:08 PM  

    Hello Rachel,
    I'm chiming in late with a warm Pink Fuzzy welcome.

    Best wishes on your continued success.