We have the pleasure of welcoming Keena Kincaid to the Pink Fuzzies today.

Good morning. I’m thrilled to be here at the Pink Fuzzy Slippers blog, and am wearing my fuzzy slippers all day in honor of my visit. I like a two-way conversation, so after I answer Melba Moon’s questions, I’m going to turn the tables and ask y’all some questions of my own.

1: How do you come up with your ideas?
Most of the time, the ideas come to me as a vivid dream that refuses to fade upon waking. As soon as I write the scene down, it seems to grow and stretch until it becomes a full story. Once in a while, the characters simply take me hostage and refuse to let me go until I finish writing their story. After weeks without sleep, take-out food and someone standing over my shoulder telling me what to say (pretending he’s a muse not a kidnapper) I usually find I’ve written something unexpected but pretty darn good.

2: On average, how long does it take to write your books?
In the past, it’s taken about 18 months to finish a full-length historical, but I’m not working at the day job presently, and I’ve noticed the time has shortened considerably. LOL!
SOMETHING MORE, which is my first contemporary story (ever) is a novella and it took a little over two months to complete.

I should say, though, that Nick and Nora from SOMETHING MORE were two characters who pretty much kidnapped me, and then argued in front of me about who was going to get the opening line in their story. Neither listened to my protests that I write historicals. I wrote to get them to hush and discovered I like writing contemporaries. And I was thrilled when the story was accepted as part of the Class of ‘85 series.

3: How do you cope with rejection?
My rejection recovery regime:
· Long walk
· Full glass of wine (scotch if I'm really taking it hard)
· Chat with friends, who assure me of my brilliance
· Bubble bath
· Go back to work on the current WIP the next morning

4. What themes go through your books?
My theme, which runs through all my works whether contemporary or historical, is free will vs. fate. Does what we are determine what we will become? This plays out in choice and consequences. My characters make all the wrong choices and find themselves on the divide between gain and loss, happiness and heartbreak, with no easy way out.

5. What’s next for you?
I’m working on a second novella that features Andy Morgan, from SOMETHING MORE. Andy is a pretty easy-going guy despite a protective streak that runs deep into his bones. Trouble is, Jane Grey doesn’t believe she needs his protection even though it appears her past is about to catch up with her—with deadly consequences.

I'm also working on an historical story that I've dubbed the Yorkshire Gothic. It's not set in Yorkshire, but it's becoming more Gothic with each word. My hero lives under a curse and has vowed never to sire children, who would carry the curse into the next generation. When he must marry to protect his friend’s sister to keep her lands from falling to the enemy, he realizes he wants a full life. However, when he begins searching for a way to undo the curse, he uncovers a family secret that could strip him of everything—status, land and most of all, Matilda.

Now, some questions for you:
1. What is your rejection recovery regime?
2. If you could bring just one of your characters to life for the day, what is the first thing you’d show him/her?
3. If your character took you to his/her world. What would you miss most?

31 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // September 22, 2010 at 12:05 AM  

    Keena, we're so glad you're here.

    Most rejections get a day of whining to writer friends, then I move on, unless I had big hopes. The I while longer.

    My characters are in my head, so they know too much about me, anyway.

  2. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 22, 2010 at 6:47 AM  

    Welcome Keena, we pleased to have you visit the fuzzies.

    How do I handle rejection? Not well!LOL. Put me in a funk for days, then I pick up my shattered pride and tottle off to do anything but write for a while. Usually takes me a while to get back to writing, but I usually do.

  3. Judith Keim // September 22, 2010 at 10:29 AM  

    Welcome, Keena! Nice to have you here. I love the idea for your Gothic story and your first contemporary sounds great, too! Hate rejections but have learned to look at the reason why and then think on it for a while before tackling any changes...

  4. Jannine Gallant // September 22, 2010 at 10:30 AM  

    Hi Keena,

    Looking forward to your story. I TRY to shrug off rejection and look at it as their loss! If I joined my characters in their world, I wouldn't have to miss my puppydog. All my stories have dogs in them!

  5. Keena Kincaid // September 22, 2010 at 11:55 AM  

    Good morning, everyone. Sorry I'm late to my own party. I overslept this morning. It's rainy and cool here--perfect oversleeping weather.

    I'm glad to be here and I look forward to hearing how you deal with rejection and what you'd do with your characters if you could visit for a day.

  6. Keena Kincaid // September 22, 2010 at 11:57 AM  

    Mary: I think a day of whining is about right. Rejection is hard, even after you've been published (maybe harder, then. I don't know).

    Scarlet: How long do you go without writing?

  7. Keena Kincaid // September 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM  

    Hi, Judy.

    Does anyone like rejections? I wonder if editors hate giving them as much as we hate getting them?

  8. Keena Kincaid // September 22, 2010 at 12:00 PM  

    Hi, Jannine,
    I can't wait until SOMETHING MORE comes out. It's so different from what I've written before.

    However, I did notice the other day that all my stories have ghosts in them. Usually the ghosts are just hanging around, not visible, but sometimes they're seen and they're always referenced.

    A dog in all your stories is probably a better constant. :-)

  9. caseycrow // September 22, 2010 at 1:08 PM  

    Hey Keena! Great post. My rejection regime - hit the delete button and the gym! Take care!
    Casey Crow

  10. caseycrow // September 22, 2010 at 1:08 PM  

    Hey Keena! Great post. My rejection regime - hit the delete button and the gym! Take care!
    Casey Crow

  11. Keena Kincaid // September 22, 2010 at 1:28 PM  

    Hi, Casey. The gym is always good a idea.

  12. Beth Trissel // September 22, 2010 at 2:05 PM  

    Welcome Keena, delighted to have you with us on the Fuzzies. I've had so much rejection in my day it became a way of life. :) You sulk for awhile, learn what you can from it, and then go on filled with determination.
    Thanks for your terrific post! Something More sounds wonderful. I agree with Judy and like Gothic romance a lot.

  13. Nightingale // September 22, 2010 at 2:05 PM  

    If my vampire concert pianist Morgan D'Arcy took me to his world of wealth, privilege with a house on the Battery in Charleston, SC, I wouldn't miss anything. As long as he was part of the bargain. ha ha

  14. Sherry Gloag // September 22, 2010 at 3:36 PM  

    Great post Keena. It depends on the tone of the rejection. One I received last year put me down for a few days. One I received a month ago left me witha phylisophical (sp) smile on my face and I 'got straight back in the saddle'.
    I'd want to go somewhere warm if my characters invited me to join them.

  15. Mona Risk // September 22, 2010 at 3:44 PM  

    Keena, I am popping out of my self-imposed isolation to welcome you at the PFS. I didn't know you wrote for the 85 class.

    Rejections are always hard to cope with. I usually withdrow in my cave for a couple of days to nurse my bruised ego, and then whine to my wonderful friends who know how to console and cheer, and start wrioting or editing again and again.

    As for my characters, the heroines are inspired by the women around me.

  16. Keena Kincaid // September 22, 2010 at 6:36 PM  

    Thanks for welcoming, Beth. I'm having a ball writing the gothic romance. Who know ghost stories could be so much fun.

    Nightingale: Can I go to Charleston SC with you?

    Sherry: Yeah, some rejections are better than others. Luckily (so far) no one has told me to stick to day job or suggest a career at Starbucks.

    Hi, Mona. Thanks for popping in.

  17. Maeve Greyson // September 22, 2010 at 6:43 PM  

    Great post, Keena! I love how you said you dealt with rejections. Since alcohol doesn't sit well with me, I drown my sorrows in chocolate! Then I hug my dog and call my six year old granddaughter who assures me I'm still the "Best YaYa" in the world! :-)

  18. MJFredrick // September 22, 2010 at 6:51 PM  

    Great post! Can't wait to read it! I love your recovery regime.

  19. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 22, 2010 at 7:56 PM  

    What a great turn out!Great job Keena, we're pleased to have you.

    If I could visit the world of any of my characters it would have to be Vienna during the Congress of Vienna.

  20. Mary Ricksen // September 22, 2010 at 8:03 PM  

    Welcome Keena! Thanks for blogging with us. Sorry I got here so late, been doing shopping chores.
    I handle rejection horribly. Any kind, so I work very hard to get unrejected!!!

  21. Donna L Bolk // September 22, 2010 at 9:49 PM  

    Hi Keena,

    Great post. Twenty years ago, when I'd get a rejection, I say those editors don't know what they're talking about, or how to tell a good story. Now, when I look at those early manuscripts I say thank goodness those editors knew what they were doing. As for today, I take rejection with a grain of salt. SOmetimes the editor's right, and sometimes the writer's right. I'm looking forward to reading Something More.

  22. Keena Kincaid // September 22, 2010 at 11:50 PM  

    Maeve,
    I'm convinced that little kids and dogs are the smartest creatures on the planet. Glad they can make you feel better.

  23. Keena Kincaid // September 22, 2010 at 11:52 PM  

    MJ, thanks for coming. I worked out my recovery regime through trail and error. :-)

  24. Keena Kincaid // September 22, 2010 at 11:53 PM  

    Scarlet and Mary,
    Thanks for having me here. I really appreciate the opportunity to meet new people and talk about SOMETHING MORE. You know how we writers are, we can go on forever about the people in our heads.

  25. Keena Kincaid // September 22, 2010 at 11:54 PM  

    Donna,
    I agree that with experience comes a more philosophical approach to rejection. It never feels good, but once I learned to separate the business side of writing from the writer side from me (or mostly separate it) rejections became easier to deal with.

  26. Margaret Tanner // September 23, 2010 at 9:38 AM  

    Hi Keena,
    Nice interview. I like your way of handling rejection. Switch the wine to chocolates, and your routine is very similar to mine.

    Regards

    Margaret

  27. Sharon Buchbinder, Romance Author // September 23, 2010 at 10:11 AM  

    Hi Keena--
    Great post. I know what you mean about characters demanding to be written. Lola and Web did the same thing to me! If I were to go live in Summerville, NY, I would miss my warm Maryland (“Land of Pleasant Living”) weather. Of course, that excludes last winter. =]

  28. Keena Kincaid // September 23, 2010 at 10:14 AM  

    Hi, Margaret. Would you believe that I don't really like chocolate? I know, I know. I've had friends threaten to revoke my "woman" card. Once in a while I'll have some, but most of the time I'd rather have a salty snack.

  29. Keena Kincaid // September 23, 2010 at 10:15 AM  

    Hi, Sharon.
    I'm sorry to admit that I would only visit Summerville in the summer. June and July are just pleasant months in upstate NY, but the winters killed me when I lived in Saratoga Springs.

  30. Sharon Buchbinder, Romance Author // September 24, 2010 at 9:18 AM  

    Keena--I lived in Albany NY for 5 years and Chicagoland for 9 years. BRRRRRRRRR! Done with that.

  31. Keena Kincaid // September 25, 2010 at 11:21 AM  

    I'm with you, Sharon. Seriously considering--OK, halfway packed--for a move to Tampa in a month or so.