Quantcast You’ve come to the right place.  I’ve labored over several novels, done meticulous research, and written from my heart as I feel profoundly for Native Americans.

To date I have two novels, Through the Fire and Red Bird’s Song, published by The Wild Rose Press that are Colonial Native American Romances with a strong The Last of the Mohican’s flavor and a mystical weave.

The colonial frontier is my particular passion, particularly the Virginia frontier, which used to be vast,  and the Ohio territory.

A third novel, Daughter of the Wind, is a historical fantasy, also carefully researched so the history in it is accurate while the story is also a light paranormal with a bearwalking (shape shifting) Shawnee warrior.

Although Daughter of the Wind is set among the clannish Scots-Irish in the Allegheny Mountains, the story has a strong Native American element and flavor.  As does my short FREE READ, Nighthawk.  Download Nighthawk without charge from the Wild Rose Press.

All of my Native American novels are available as both digital download, ebooks,  and paperbacks from the Wild Rose PressAmazon, and other online booksellers.  Your local bookstore can order them in as can your library if you ask them to.

To read the illustrated first chapter from Daughter of the Wind:

To read the illustrated excerpt from Through the Fire:

To read more about the story and inspiration behind Red Bird’s Song:

Each of these books, particularly Red Bird’s Song, were inspired by actual events that occurred to my early American Scots-Irish ancestors in the colonial frontier.   The high drama of the frontier, the power and passions of that time period are deeply stirring to my imagination.   I hope you will enjoy these books while gaining an appreciation for a mostly forgotten time and people.

When I look out the window at the distant ridges of the Alleghenies I remember the people who once roamed those ruggedly beautiful woodlands.  But not only the mountains, the Shenandoah Valley where I live and my family has lived for several hundred years was at once time the frontier.  Many Indian encounters and attacks took place in the valley.  Some to my ancestors and their friends and neighbors.  The Scots-Irish were highly interrelated.


Not to neglect my English ancestors who were also a part of these early dramatic times.  One of them, a Quaker, had visions and was so liked by the Indians they asked him to sit in on some of their treaties knowing he would be fair.  From my studies of history, and given that he lived in colonial Maryland/PA, I have concluded the tribes he was in communication with were the Shawnee, who make up the bulk of my research, and their close allies the Lene Lenape or the Delaware as they are otherwise known. 

A Shawnee historian with whom I once worked told me I should have made the Delaware the subject of my fascination as in his opinion they were nicer, but I have stuck to researching mostly the Shawnee.  Go team!

*Pic of the Allegheny Mountains taken by my mom

*Shoka and Rebecca from Through the Fire

*The release date for Red Bird’s Song is 9-10-2010 however the print is out early at the Wild Rose Press and Amazon.   The ebook will follow and the availability of the novel will spread from the Wild Rose to other booksellers.


*Posted by Beth Trissel

22 comments

  1. Mona Risk // September 4, 2010 at 9:47 AM  

    Beth, you are an amazing writer. No wonder your books rae so successful.

  2. Beth Trissel // September 4, 2010 at 9:56 AM  

    Thanks so much Mona dear. Very kind.

  3. Barbara Monajem // September 4, 2010 at 12:17 PM  

    Congratulations, Beth. As I've said many times before, I love the cover of Red Bird's Song.

    I'm actually working on a novel right now with a Native American rock star as the hero. He's a side character in my two earlier paranormals, and I've been dying to write his story.

    And one of these days I'll post a blog about Indian mounds. I've visited many, many of them across the Southeast.

  4. Judith Keim // September 4, 2010 at 12:20 PM  

    Beth, wonderful stories and as always beautiful pictures! Congratulations on all your fabulous work!!

  5. Beth Trissel // September 4, 2010 at 3:25 PM  

    Kewl Barbara!

  6. Beth Trissel // September 4, 2010 at 3:25 PM  

    Thanks so much Judy.

  7. Mary Ricksen // September 4, 2010 at 6:43 PM  

    You are on the way up Beth.
    I think Red Bird is my favorite of your covers.
    You know I wish you the best and expect only good things for you and your writing career. You're already flying!

  8. Beth Trissel // September 4, 2010 at 6:58 PM  

    Thanks so much Miss Mary!

  9. Mary Marvella // September 4, 2010 at 11:48 PM  

    Beth, I loved your post! Girl, you are on a roll!

    Barbara, you must go to Macon to see the Indian Mounds there. It's so close.

  10. Mary Marvella // September 4, 2010 at 11:48 PM  

    Beth, I loved your post! Girl, you are on a roll!

    Barbara, you must go to Macon to see the Indian Mounds there. It's so close.

  11. Pamela Varnado // September 5, 2010 at 1:37 AM  

    Beth, like you I'm interested in the Native American culture. My current work in progress is a paranormal story centered around Cherokee warriors. I'm trying to stay true to their beliefs and practices.

  12. P.L. Parker // September 5, 2010 at 12:50 PM  

    Beautiful cover. As a descendent of men who "went to the woods," I'm always interested in Native American history/culture.

  13. Paty Jager // September 5, 2010 at 1:02 PM  

    Congrats, Beth! I see we have a lot in common with the desire to write Native American stories and that our publisher Wild Rose Press is willing to publish them.

    the research that goes into these stories is endless, but I enjoy every minute of it.

  14. Beth Trissel // September 5, 2010 at 1:36 PM  

    Thanks Mama M. i remember Indian mounds in Tennessee.
    Yes, the research is mind-boggling but you're right Patty, worth it all.
    Pamela that book sounds fascinating.
    Thanks P.L. Very interesting about your ancestry.

  15. Caroline Clemmons // September 5, 2010 at 1:46 PM  

    Beth, best luck with your new release.

  16. Autumn Jordon // September 5, 2010 at 2:41 PM  

    Beth, You certainly have found your love. It shows. I know I'm going to spread the word to readers. I can't wait to be your host on your release day. Party! (((HUGS)) AJ

  17. Beth Trissel // September 5, 2010 at 6:47 PM  

    Thanks Autumn. Yes, I love Native American historicals and my NA characters. :) Also, my English/Scots-Irish characters,all a part of the rich meld.

  18. Beth Trissel // September 5, 2010 at 6:47 PM  

    Thanks so much Caroline!

  19. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 5, 2010 at 7:58 PM  

    Beth, wonderful blog. I too am facinated by all things Native American and have the honor of counting not one, but two great-great grandmothers with Native American blood. One Creek and one Cherokee, but of course, since I live in Georgia, there are no records. Only family lore passed down, because of the Trail of Tears and the fact that the children couldn't have inherited the land, if they claimed their heritage. So sad, it makes us have a lost part of our heritage that can never be recovered. Congrats on the new release. I can't wait until I can download it to my e-reader. I feel a release party brewing at the Fuzzies!

  20. Nightingale // September 5, 2010 at 9:02 PM  

    I love the Native American books, but Somewhere My Love still sticks in my memory.

  21. Beth Trissel // September 5, 2010 at 9:16 PM  

    Fabulous Scarlet. You have a rich ancestry. Thanks Linda. I also love my 'Somewhere' books. As to my release party I am at Autumn's but also here that day. Different posts. :)

  22. Josie // September 6, 2010 at 7:00 PM  

    Absolutely beautiful post, Beth. Your pictures are always amazing. My very best wishes that your new book is a success.