It's early September, late summer, and already I can see the signs of autumn. Every now and then, a leaf twirls towards the ground like a dancer moving backstage. Among the sweet, colorful blooms, a few flowers bent their heads with seed. Full cheeked squirrels scurry away from the birdfeeders while the old oaks limbs lower to the ground with acorns rounding their girth.

While summer reigns over the land by day, at night the autumn mist brings drink to everything perched. Daily, scrumptious corn kernals,sun-ripen tomatoes and other tasty treats are picked and enjoyed with eye-rolling yums.

In the distance, the honk of geese mixes with the soulful wail of the locomotive chugging through the Blue Mountains.

The other day, as I sat on the swing under the old Oak with my bare toes touching the ground on each pass, I ponder how short a visit Summer spent with us. There was so much more I wanted to do while it was here. I decided to write a Bucket List. I might not be able to take off for the shore but there are somethings I've longed to do that I still can enjoy before Autumn makes her entrance.


1) Get me some funnel cake.
2) Day an excursion to some place new or old.
3) Forget about the weeds, nature will take of them soon.
4) Spend an afternoon by the pool with some girl friends. Margarita’s included.
5) Pick and dry herbs to use later.
6) Lay in a hammock for an afternoon with a great book?
I’ll take suggestions on the books. Email them to me please.
7) Built a campfire under the stars and eat some toasted marshmallows.
8) Snap some awesome nature pictures.
9) Have one more picnic with family and friends.
10) Write at least 15,000 words on the new novel.


As the dogs days of summer count down what do you have planned?

13 comments

  1. Mona Risk // September 3, 2010 at 12:00 PM  

    Summer is still here in Florida. But the beaches are vacant as children went back to school.

    Usually we call the beginning of Fall, Hurricane Season. While you Northern dwellers watch the leaves change color, we focuse on the clouds and the wind, and the Weather Channel. So far, Bless Be the Lord, our favorite hurricanes, Danille, earl and Fiona have decided to bypass us, and we couldn't be happier. We haven't completely recovered yet from 5-years old Wilma, rot her soul.

  2. Autumn Jordon // September 3, 2010 at 1:06 PM  

    Our skies are filled with Earl today, Mona. I know you've been traveling a lot, so is there anything you want to do while summer is still hanging on?

  3. Autumn Jordon // September 3, 2010 at 1:06 PM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  4. Pamela Varnado // September 3, 2010 at 4:32 PM  

    I live in Georgia and hate the summers. The humidity bothers my asthma, so I stay inside most of the time. Now that it's a little cooler, I get to participate in outdoor activities, like jogging and riding my bicycle. The colder it gets the more I enjoy the seasons.

  5. Mary Ricksen // September 3, 2010 at 6:47 PM  

    Summer feels like the only season here. Hot-hot-hot outside.
    I'm with Pam, I just want to be able to go outside without breaking into a full body sweat.
    Winter cone on!

  6. Autumn Jordon // September 3, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

    I'm looking forward to the cooler temps too. There is a reason I love in the NE.

    Have a wonderful holiday, Pam and Mary.

  7. Barbara Monajem // September 3, 2010 at 10:56 PM  

    For me, summer has been much too long, but I am definitely with you on ignoring the weeds. I have plans for attacking the wisteria as soon as it loses its leaves. Apart from that, writing, writing, and more writing.

  8. Mary Marvella // September 3, 2010 at 11:02 PM  

    Good job, Autumn.

    At the moment I'm in the bowels of the Hyatt Regency in downtown Atlanta at DragonCon at a late workshop and have managed to piggyback on someone's iphone Internet connection.

    I plan to get some work done around my house and get more manuscripts finished, edited, and out!

  9. Beth Trissel // September 4, 2010 at 8:50 AM  

    Summer is still here in the Shenandoah Valley too but with definite hints of fall. Our biggest need right now is rain!
    Lovely post, Autumn.

  10. Judith Keim // September 5, 2010 at 12:14 AM  

    I love summer, even summer in Florida. While I enjoy Fall, I know that Winter will follow, a season that is not my favorite. But, really, the idea is to enjoy each day as it presents itself and for me, to remember to take the time to enjoy each one, give myself a break from the tensions and challenges and sit quietly.

  11. P.L. Parker // September 5, 2010 at 12:54 PM  

    I'm not a fall person and this time of year often causes me to feel down. One step closer to the long winter, snow, etc. But my husband and I have decided to make some short jaunts out of town just to keep up spirits. We did our first jaunt yesterday (even though it's not into fall yet) to Idaho City, a wonderful little historical town just north of Boise. Had lunch at Trudy's, a beer in Diamond Lil's and visited numerous little antique stores. Was fun.

  12. Autumn Jordon // September 5, 2010 at 2:35 PM  

    Barbara, Go, girl. I'm trying to get as words to page too. Son's wedding is next month,s o things are picking up here.

    Mary, You're at conference. I'm so jealous. I can't wait until NJ next month--a week before the wedding.

    Beth, I'm praying for rain for you. It has been a really dry summer here too.

    Judy, Summer in Flordia, not for me. I love each season, but Fall is my favorite, followed by winter.

    PL, You're ID? I'm hoping to make it out there next year around this time, visiting new IN-laws. We'll have to talk. Winter is a time when things seem to slow down and there is this peace knowing you worked hard all year and can enjoy the fruits of your labor. I love the quiet and acting like a kid when I see snow. We'll talk.

  13. Josie // September 6, 2010 at 6:58 PM  

    Hi Autumn,
    Like Mona, summer is still very much a part of sunny South Carolina.

    We'll begin to see whispers of Fall by the end of October.