Today we have the pleasure of hearing from Janet Halpin author of Reunion of '85 The Serious Moonlight. This one is sure to take you back to the good ole days. Please give Janet a fuzzy welcome. (Don't y'all just love the cover?)


The Serious Moonlight. That’s a phrase that sticks in your mind, and, for a lot of us, immediately pipes David Bowie’s 80s smash hit Let’s Dance into your head. And then it snowballs and soon those of us who lived through those days of shoulder pads, leg warmers and hair helmets—or those of us with a fondness for 80s movies featuring those fashion crimes—are hearing the playlist of the 80s.
As soon as I learned about The Wild Rose Press’ Last Rose of Summer Class of ’85 Reunion series, I knew I had to write something and I knew I had to use the music of that decade.

I’d been noodling with a short romance I was calling Persuasion-lite: girl talked out of dating nerdy boy in high school gets a second chance at romance, but it was set at a ten-year reunion and I was getting nowhere fast. When I added fifteen years to the reunion number, A-Ha’s Take On Me popped in to my head and the entire story clicked. Weaving the song titles into the action became a challenge and I pored over Billboard lists from the early 80s looking for the song that would complement the moment in the story it is introduced and also be recognizable to a wider audience. I had such a blast writing, singing Girls Just Wanna Have Fun and Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go and even that cheesy wedding perennial Celebration at the top of my lungs (and totally off-key) as I typed. I hope you’ll check out The Serious Moonlight and sing along too!

Here’s the blurb & how to find The Serious Moonlight:
Once upon a time on a moonlit night, Anna and Rick shared the most perfect kiss this side of The Princess Bride. And then, terrified by the feelings Rick's kiss aroused in her, she did something monumentally stupid: she ran away. Now, twenty-five years later, Anna is divorced, older, hopefully a little wiser . . . and wondering what might have been if she hadn’t fled that night. At Summerville High’s Class of '85 reunion she’s determined to find out. Can she help Rick get past his bitterness, and get over her own regrets, to finally fulfill the happily-ever-after promise of that amazing kiss? (Sweet, 72 Pages)

Check out The Serious Moonlight at http://www.thewildrosepress.com/the-serious-moonlight-p-4189.html

Janet Halpin writes both short story and novel-length romantic fiction. Fun Fact: Way back in the 80s, Janet partied with members of the band A-Ha at a truly epic Halloween party (and there are pictures to prove it).

18 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // September 15, 2010 at 11:39 PM  

    Naughty Scarlet! Good work! Another victim.

  2. Jannine Gallant // September 15, 2010 at 11:51 PM  

    The Serious Moonlight was terrific. Loved the cover, adored the title, and the music is a trip down memory lane. I graduated from college in 1984, so these songs bring back a lot of wonderful memories. Let's see those pictures you mentioned!

  3. Mary Marvella // September 16, 2010 at 12:29 AM  

    Oh, yes, the pictures!

  4. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 16, 2010 at 7:04 AM  

    Shall I twist her arms and get those pictures? Hehehe. Welcome, and we are so enjoying your visit. Love the cover and the story! Serious Moonlight rocks.

  5. Stacy Dawn // September 16, 2010 at 8:51 AM  

    ROFL! I LOVE the music of the '80s! And you're right, tons of inspiration, very cool!

  6. Janet Halpin // September 16, 2010 at 11:22 AM  

    Thanks all for your comments & for having me here. I worked in radio 81-85 and the music of that time period is embedded forever in my brain. My fave from those days is Spandau Ballet's "True"...v. romantic. How about you?

  7. Janet Halpin // September 16, 2010 at 11:36 AM  

    PS: I cop to being a terrible tease, I built up the suspense but am unable to payoff... Sadly, those pictures don't belong to me so I can't post them. And if the owner resisted the urge to sell the to the tabloids at the time, I don't know if arm twisiting will work now! Suffice to say everyone had a great time and property damage was minimal.

  8. Mona Risk // September 16, 2010 at 11:45 AM  

    That's a lovely title. Serious Moonlight. I love the 80s songs.

  9. Pamela Varnado // September 16, 2010 at 1:11 PM  

    Janet, the title The Serious Moonlight is awesome. It definitely piques my interest and makes me want to read the story.

    Reunions offer second chances to explore the "what if's". While we can never change the past, we can reflect on how it affected and shaped our current life experiences. So, what if you'd gotten up the courage to talk to the football star you had a crush on, what if you'd fought back while being bullied, what if you'd been nicer to the girl with the bushy red hair and bad clothes, what if you'd focused more on attaining better grades...the list is endless.

  10. Rachel Brimble // September 16, 2010 at 1:24 PM  

    Hi Janet!

    For anyone who hasn't read The Serious Moonlight yet, go over to the TWRP website and download it now. It's fabulous! I especially like the scenes on the boat, ahh!

    Also, your hero...yum, yum!!

    Have a great day, enjoy it.

    Rachel x
    www.rachelbrimble.com

  11. Beth Trissel // September 16, 2010 at 2:54 PM  

    Hello Janet and welcome to the Fuzzies. I think that is one of the prettiest covers I've ever seen. And wow, all those years you spent in 80's music. No wonder you were drawn to this story. It sounds great.

  12. Kathy Cottrell // September 16, 2010 at 2:57 PM  

    janet--
    thanks for the serously wonderful story under the seriously gorgeous cover!
    Best always,
    kathy

  13. Mary Ricksen // September 16, 2010 at 3:20 PM  

    Welcome to you Janet! I wish you the best of luck.
    Wonder if anyone would buy a class of 1971 college grad story? (grin)
    Old farts still can dream.
    I love the idea of a second chance at love...
    Great book jacket too!

  14. Maeve Greyson // September 16, 2010 at 4:53 PM  

    Great post! Best of luck to you Janet :-)

  15. Silver James // September 16, 2010 at 5:19 PM  

    I've got to get my book budget expanded so I can download all the wonderful Class of '85 Reunion stories!

    I wish I could say the '80s were a blur but I remember them well--got married and had my daughter in the first half and embarked on a series of careers in the second half.

    I can't wait to read all the stories!

  16. Anonymous // September 16, 2010 at 5:44 PM  

    Just wanted to drop by to say what a lovely story The Serious Moonlight is. This hero is one of those that you just want to reach into the book and hug or... well lets just leave it at hug, huh? The cover for this story is awesome as well. I'm loving all the reunion stories!

    Melba

  17. Janet Halpin // September 16, 2010 at 8:14 PM  

    Finally got a chance to check back in on these comments and I have to say I'm totally giddy from all your great compliments about my story! Thanks to all!

  18. Donna L Bolk // September 17, 2010 at 12:30 AM  

    I'm a day late, but I had to pop in and tell you how much I enjoyed The Serious Moonlight, great story.