Today the Pink Fuzzy Slipper Writers have a special treat. An interview with Jannine Gallant, recently while talking with Jannine over on the Reunion loop I plied her with questions. So, grab a glass of bubbly and settle back and enjoy talking with Jannine.



What was your first published book and to whom?
Victim of Desire was my first published novel. It was released on April 30, 2010 with the Crimson line of The Wild Rose Press. Here’s the blurb:
Ex-soap star, Rachel Carpenter, is a single mom coping with the daily problems of raising three daughters and operating her bookstore in the Napa Valley wine country. Kane Lafferty is a burned out police detective struggling with his own demons. The attraction between the two is immediate, though they both have reasons to avoid a relationship. At a wilderness camp in the High Sierra, their passion grows. But someone is watching. A man obsessed with Rachel since her soap star days is determined to have her at any cost. Danger mounts as the stalker’s reign of terror escalates. Kane risks his life to protect Rachel and her daughters, but can he uncover the predator’s identity in time? Or will Rachel have to sacrifice herself and her relationship with Kane to save her family?

How many books did you write before selling one?
It’s been a long road to publication. I wrote 4 books (off and on) over a period of twenty years before getting Victim of Desire published.

How many books have you published?
My second book, Lonely Road to You, a novella for the Class of ’85 series, was released on August 25, 2010 with the Last Rose of Summer line of The Wild Rose Press. Here’s the blurb:
Kate Abbott isn’t looking for excitement and is perfectly content with her stable, secure life in Seattle, even if her son thinks she’s in an uninspired rut. Ex-rock star Tyler North has no intention of shaking up his life on the Montana ranch where he fled years before to escape the ravages of fame and fortune. Neither plan to attend their 25 year high school reunion, but they both find themselves on the way back to Summerville, New York. Fate throws them together on a lonely road, leading them into a journey of discovery.

From the majesty of Yellowstone to the shores of Lake Ontario, Kate and Tyler fight unexpected attraction and old insecurities. Their road trip is full of surprises and odd twists. From buffalo and bears to a deep crevasse and a crazy old man, they work together to overcome the obstacles in their path. But will these two opposites be able to put aside fear of change and rejection to take a chance on the promise of love?

What themes go through your books?
The theme in my most recent books is that it’s never too late to find love. My heroines are women who had past relationships that didn’t work out, but they persevered and found happiness. I live in Lake Tahoe and am a big fan of the great outdoors. I try to incorporate the beauty of nature into all my stories

How would you best describe your books?
The most frequent comment I get from readers is, “Wow, it was such a fast read. I couldn’t put it down.” My books are action packed and fast paced.How do you write with kids and deadlines? Great question! I have two middle school aged daughters, and I am constantly driving them to and from their various activities. I try to write every morning for 2 or 3 hours before the craziness begins.

Which other jobs have you had?
In the past, I’ve worked in both the ski industry and in restaurants. Most recently I worked for the 2010 Census. I met a few unique (unique is a much nicer word than flat out crazy!) individuals I would love to weave into future stories.What do you love most about writing and what do you not like? I love coming up with new plots and characters, letting my imagination run wild. The beginning stages of a book are always so fun. I hate that bogged down feeling I get somewhere in the middle of the story when I’m absolutely certain I’m never going to finish it!

What are you writing now?
I finished a second story for the Class of ’85 series a few weeks ago, and I am pleased to announce it was accepted for publication. We’re currently in the editing stage. After All These Years should be out sometime around the end of the year.

What would you write if you could do write anything you wanted to?

I wouldn’t change a thing. Romance is what I like to read. People have enough problems to deal with in their everyday lives. It’s great to pick up a book and know it will have a happy ending!

Why do you write?
I write because I love it. One day it would be nice to actually make a living doing it!
How do you write? I write sitting at my computer with as little noise and distractions as I can manage. Sometimes it’s a challenge!

Do you write what you know?

I’m a small town girl, and my stories generally take place in small towns or rural settings. There’s nothing like personal experience to keep a story authentic.

What’s next for you?
Right now I’m working on a romantic suspense novel I put on hold when I got so fired up about the stories for the reunion series. It takes place in a small town in the Redwood forest near where I grew up and is filled with mystery and murder.

What would you like to tell readers?

Don’t give up on your dream, whether it’s writing or something else. It took me years to get published, but it finally happened. Perseverance is the key to success!

I would like to thank the wonderful ladies of the Pink Fuzzy Slippers for having me. It’s been a blast! You can find buy links and information about my books on my website at http://www.janninegallant.com/.

26 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // September 14, 2010 at 11:48 PM  

    Another awesome blog by a WRP author. Good job, ladies.

  2. Janet Halpin // September 15, 2010 at 9:52 AM  

    Terrific interview! I loved "Lonely Road to You." Jannine, you have such a rich, engaging voice and I look forward to reading more from you.

  3. Judith Keim // September 15, 2010 at 10:42 AM  

    Great to have you here Jannine. Your stories sound wonderful and I love that you didn't give up on your writing and have succeeded very nicely! Congrats!

  4. Jannine Gallant // September 15, 2010 at 11:16 AM  

    Thank you to the wonderful ladies of PFS for having me today. I appreciate the kind words, Mary and Judy.

    Thanks for stopping by, Janet. We're a mutual admiration society. The Serious Moonlight is a wonderful story.

  5. Mona Risk // September 15, 2010 at 11:17 AM  

    Jannine, welcome to the PFS. It's so nice to meet the authors writing for class 85 one after the other. I have a question for you on behalf of a friend. She has a book that can suit the line. Are they still open for submissions?

  6. Jannine Gallant // September 15, 2010 at 11:29 AM  

    Hi Mona,

    Thanks for the warm welcome. Last I heard from our editor, Kathy Cottrell, Class of '85 is still open for submissions. Let's hope readers don't get tired of us anytime soon!

  7. Kathy Cottrell // September 15, 2010 at 1:07 PM  

    Hi, Jannine, and PFS readers/authors.
    What an inspiring post!
    Not giving up on your dreams is such a heart-warmer, isn't it?
    For me this story was such fun to edit--not that it needed much work, trust me.
    This is the ending that made me weep. As I told Jannine when I sent the contract, "I don't do crying, dear."
    Being a R-S fan, your first book is on my list to buy as soon as my next paycheck comes in!!!

    Yes, yes, yes--the class of 85 remains open for submissions. Hey--the ballroom and the school gym still has plenty of room for alums to rock the night away at the two dances!
    kathy

  8. Stacy Dawn // September 15, 2010 at 1:17 PM  

    Congratulations on your second reunion contract! That's fantastic.

  9. Jannine Gallant // September 15, 2010 at 1:42 PM  

    Kathy, you are GREAT for my ego. I should send copies of your emails with all my submissions!

    Thanks, Stacy. It was a blast having my old characters make cameo appearances in the second reunion story.

  10. Mary Ricksen // September 15, 2010 at 2:13 PM  

    Welcome to our blog.
    I love Lake Ontario, spent a couple of years living in Canada. It's unbelievably beautiful there.

  11. Pamela Varnado // September 15, 2010 at 2:34 PM  

    Welcome Jannine. Sounds like you've had a variety of jobs. I can so relate. My husband spent twenty years in the military, so I been everything from a secretary to HR manager.

  12. Jannine Gallant // September 15, 2010 at 2:54 PM  

    Thanks for the welcome, Mary and Pamela. All those odd jobs give us life experiences to write about!

  13. Anonymous // September 15, 2010 at 5:04 PM  

    Way to go Jannine, incredible to make the editor cry from reading the ending of your story. I'm really enjoying the visits from the Reunion authors and editor. Loved your covers I'm so impressed with all the lovely covers. You rock girl, congrats on the second story being accepted.

    Melba

  14. Jannine Gallant // September 15, 2010 at 5:24 PM  

    Thank you, Melba!

    I can't take credit for my wonderful cover. Nicola Martinez gets all the credit for the Class of '85 covers. Finish your story so we can have a great big, release party for you!

  15. Beth Trissel // September 15, 2010 at 6:49 PM  

    Welcome to the Fuzzies:)))) Another gorgeous cover and terrific story.

  16. Donna L Bolk // September 15, 2010 at 7:01 PM  

    Hey there,

    I'm halfway through Victim of Desire, and enjoying every page of it.

    You already know you're one of my favorite authors. Congrats on that second book in the Class of '85.

  17. Keena Kincaid // September 15, 2010 at 7:16 PM  

    Hi, Jannine. It's taken me all day to get over here, but I love your post, and I loved your story.

    The Class of '85 rocks.

  18. Jannine Gallant // September 15, 2010 at 8:00 PM  

    Beth, I'm so happy to be at PFS today. It's been a blast.

    Donna,
    Thanks for stopping by. I'm thrilled you're enjoying Victim of Desire. Getting it published was an uphill battle but worth every minute of the struggle.

    Keena,
    Glad you made it over. The Class of '85 certainly does rock!

  19. Bianca Swan // September 15, 2010 at 8:26 PM  

    I like your message, Jannine. Never too late and hold on to your dreams! The characters in your excerpt seem very interesting.

  20. Jannine Gallant // September 15, 2010 at 9:45 PM  

    Thanks Bianca,

    When I decided to write a story for this series, I knew my hero had to be a bad boy ex rock star!

  21. Margaret Tanner // September 16, 2010 at 8:04 AM  

    Hi Janine,
    Great blog. Determination certainly brings its rewards. an I can relate to that.

    Regards

    Margaret

  22. Jannine Gallant // September 16, 2010 at 9:54 AM  

    Thanks for stopping by, Margaret. We've certainly all kept at it over the years to get to this point!

  23. Unknown // September 16, 2010 at 11:38 AM  

    JANNINE--Lonely Road to You sounds like my kind of story. The plot and title is definitely an attention-getter. The novel was released on my birthday so maybe that's a sign of some kind--maybe that I should read it? Okay! Celia

  24. Jannine Gallant // September 16, 2010 at 12:00 PM  

    Hi Celia,

    Gotta love those signs! I'm over halfway through Texas Blue and wishing I had more time to read - and an e-reader! It's a terrific story.

  25. Rachel Brimble // September 16, 2010 at 1:31 PM  

    Hi Jannine,

    So sorry for being so late stopping by! I haven't read Lonely Road To You yet but I have bought it - Promise!!
    It will definitely be read this weekend and I will be sure to email you to let you know what I thought.

    I am absolutely at the edge of my seat now I know you made Kathy cry, how cool is that?? LOL! I didnt mean that the way it sounded, Kathy. Sorry!

    Huge congrats on contract number 2, you must be thrilled.

    Rachel x
    www.rachelbrimble.com

  26. Jannine Gallant // September 16, 2010 at 2:28 PM  

    Thanks for stopping by, Rachel. I can't wait to hear what you think. And your release for the series is coming right up. I'm looking forward to it!